Stupid Car question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Car question

Allegra
07-10-2010, 23:52
Mga fafa,
The manual says the car should be serviced every 10k or x months
This july na yung scheduled month ng service pero 8k pa lang tinatakbo from last service.
Alin susundin? have it serviced this july or wait till it hits 10k?

Wp.22
07-11-2010, 00:57
Honda yan Fafa A noh? Which cums este comes first dyan.

Allegra
07-11-2010, 01:13
ganown? ikot campus lang sya mostly
so kahit short trips lang kelangan pa din service agad?

jimbullet
07-11-2010, 02:32
I suggest you follow the service based on mileage not based on the months but on the mileage. The reason that the shops recommend you go in every x number of months is because they usually think that you would have reached that much mileage.

edtf
07-11-2010, 03:00
ganown? ikot campus lang sya mostly
so kahit short trips lang kelangan pa din service agad?

mas harsh ang short trips sa makina kaysa long trips. More wear and tear

Wp.22
07-11-2010, 03:12
Example na lang yung car ni mrs nasa 30k km pa lang e
pero bukas papa service na for 50k km kasi nauna na yung month na for service siya.

MAJINKONG
07-11-2010, 03:24
Example na lang yung car ni mrs nasa 30k km pa lang e
pero bukas papa service na for 50k km kasi nauna na yung month na for service siya.

Lugi ka kapag months ang follow mo. why? ubos agad warranty lalo na kapag loan ang vech.

Allegra
07-11-2010, 04:45
what if hindi mo ginagamit yung sasakyan?

:) wala lang kasi ako tiwala sa mga casa e
Puro gastos at replace alam nila

Wp.22
07-11-2010, 04:52
Sa kotse ng mrs ko ganon yung months ang sinusunod doon sa akin mileage

jimbullet
07-11-2010, 19:24
I cant see the logic why it should be based on months and not on mileage. Perhaps it factors in it the fact that there is heavy traffic and therefore the engine is actually running while there is no added mileage to it.

Nevertheless, I had a Honda that clocked 15k kms after 6 mos (not the recommended 3 mos). Honda Makati did not recommend to do the 25k check, rather they performed the 15k service due.

jimbullet
07-11-2010, 19:27
Lugi ka kapag months ang follow mo. why? ubos agad warranty lalo na kapag loan ang vech.

I thought the warranty was number of kms or a maximum of 3 years and it was based on whichever came first?

For instance if you've reached 3 years but have not yet clocked that much mileage, then the warranty is up.

The other question is will the warranty be void if for instance you reached say 10k's after one year and did not have the service made for the 3 month interval?

pong
07-11-2010, 21:32
I cant see the logic why it should be based on months and not on mileage. Perhaps it factors in it the fact that there is heavy traffic and therefore the engine is actually running while there is no added mileage to it.

Nevertheless, I had a Honda that clocked 15k kms after 6 mos (not the recommended 3 mos). Honda Makati did not recommend to do the 25k check, rather they performed the 15k service due.

coming from a guy who works with service centers, there is a common misconception that a lot of us have. (i am guilty of this too before) that we
have to change the oil based on the mileage, this is wrong primarily because of the fact that the oil inside our vehicles deteriorate through time and that we cant do anything about it.

change your oil at least one every 6 months, 4-5 months is good.

the same goes for automatic transmissions. many will say that you dont need to change the fluids in that. you need to change that too around once every 2 years. (that is a complete system flush, i dont think any car dealer in manila does that, if u need more info re this, send me a pm)

Allegra
07-11-2010, 22:42
So oil change lang pala dapat

bulm540
07-11-2010, 23:20
I change oil and filter every 3750 miles. I do my own so it is cheaper.

atmarcella
07-12-2010, 02:14
ako mileage....

atmarcella
07-12-2010, 02:16
lagyan mo nang bagong oil ang kotse tapos wag mo gamitin for 6mos... pag check mo after 6mos brown pa din... heat deteriorates oil.... not time.... ymmv... imo...

jasonub
07-12-2010, 04:00
i worked as a service manager for mazda kia diahatsu and subaru. Alvarez days. Then i transferred to VW/Audi/RR Rodriguez time, then Chrysler Goodyear high performance center.

What i recommend to customers and what i do is different. Hehehe dali lang analyzin yan

Wp.22
07-13-2010, 00:58
kakakuha ko lang ng car ni mrs s honda shaw medyo bumilis kasi nalinis hehehe. Yung checklist nila naiwan yung na lang gagayahin ko.

jimbullet
07-16-2010, 20:42
So oil change lang pala dapat

If your vehicle is relatively new and you are still sending it through the casa, then let them do the check up for whatever mileage it already has. If you are however no longer going to a casa, I dont think you need to do anything other than change oil, filter, possibly sparkplugs, clean air filter and that is it.

isuzu
07-17-2010, 13:30
I would go for mileage. Modern engine oils and lubricants are a lot more stable than they were before. Unless you travel in dusty areas and in places where temperatures fluctuate a lot.

IMO, it's just a ploy of car dealers to make money. They don't make a lot of money selling cars now, but they will make a lot of money in servicing vehicles.

Allegra
07-17-2010, 20:28
I remeber I had a car dati that would has a warning light that would flash pag kailangan na iservice
Weekends ko lang ginagamit yung kotse pero after a few months it would start that @#$%%^ annoying flashing red light sa harap ng muka mo
Ang galing din na raket yan a

isuzu
07-18-2010, 16:38
If your vehicle is relatively new and you are still sending it through the casa, then let them do the check up for whatever mileage it already has. If you are however no longer going to a casa, I dont think you need to do anything other than change oil, filter, possibly sparkplugs, clean air filter and that is it.

Newer cars now have Iridium-tipped spark plugs and only need to be changed every 150,000 kms.

Vault Keeper
07-21-2010, 02:59
Dealers would void the warranty if you go Km (and you have reached it after 3 months)....if it says 3 months oil change, then 3 months daw talaga. (They give you 1 or 2 weeks allowance though....:crying:)

atmarcella
07-21-2010, 04:04
medyo skeptic lang ako when it comes sa warranty dito sa atin....... yung mga bumili ng toyota na naka d4d common rail diesel at nagka problema.... hindi naman sinagot ng toyota problema nila..... karamihan palit fuel pump etc kahit bago pa......... bunot din sila sa bulsa nila.... wala naman kasi batas.... ika nga eh....depende na yan sa amin kung sagotin namin o hindi........kung ayaw ng car company... anong magawa mo?.......correct me if im wrong.

isuzu
07-21-2010, 20:11
Dealers would void the warranty if you go Km (and you have reached it after 3 months)....if it says 3 months oil change, then 3 months daw talaga. (They give you 1 or 2 weeks allowance though....:crying:)

That's their way to make money. The car dealers can't void a warranty just because your vehicle's oil is three months old, and you only travelled less than 5,000 kms. It's only a threat and they can never prove that the vehicle's engine could get damaged if you don't change the oil in three months' time.

choi_tan2000
07-21-2010, 20:32
That's their way to make money. The car dealers can't void a warranty just because your vehicle's oil is three months old, and you only travelled less than 5,000 kms. It's only a threat and they can never prove that the vehicle's engine could get damaged if you don't change the oil in three months' time.

agree

choi_tan2000
07-21-2010, 21:37
i worked as a service manager for mazda kia diahatsu and subaru. Alvarez days. Then i transferred to VW/Audi/RR Rodriguez time, then Chrysler Goodyear high performance center.

What i recommend to customers and what i do is different. Hehehe dali lang analyzin yan

:wavey::wavey:

jimbullet
07-22-2010, 02:56
agree

From a legal perspective, this is defendable and would all be dependent on the fine prints in the warranty clause and of course how good is your persuasive powers. hehehe

jecht_sphere
07-22-2010, 03:19
I would go for the "mileage" as reference.

For instance, i think it is not practical to have your vehicle undergo a periodic maintenance checkup after 10mos when, for instance, you have used it only 8x (and have traveled only 250km) for a reason that you have gone abroad for the past 8 or 9mos.

In my personal experience, my vehicle has undergone maintenance checkup 5x pa lamang (every 5,000kms) since i bought it in 2006 because i dont use it so often. I happen to love riding a motorcyle everywhere i go. So my vehicle has clocked 27k+ only in the odometer for the past 4 yrs.

Duckman1975
07-22-2010, 05:33
I change oil every 5000 km with regular oil.
My Honda is already 7 years old still runs smoothly.
Some use synthetic oil than change oil every 10,000 km but I think cheaper but frequent is the way to go.

isuzu
07-23-2010, 20:29
I would go for the "mileage" as reference.

For instance, i think it is not practical to have your vehicle undergo a periodic maintenance checkup after 10mos when, for instance, you have used it only 8x (and have traveled only 250km) for a reason that you have gone abroad for the past 8 or 9mos.

In my personal experience, my vehicle has undergone maintenance checkup 5x pa lamang (every 5,000kms) since i bought it in 2006 because i dont use it so often. I happen to love riding a motorcyle everywhere i go. So my vehicle has clocked 27k+ only in the odometer for the past 4 yrs.

This is another case. If the vehicle has been sitting and not moving, moisture would tend to collect inside the engine, and corrosion inside the engine is possible. It is recommended to start and get the engine to operating temperature, as well as driving it even for about 10 kms a week just to keep the fluids running and to keep the moving parts from being dry (gravity plays a big part in this). This would also keep the seals from getting brittle and/or shrinking. A vehicle that is operated also keeps pests especially rodents from making your car a home.

There are steps on how to store your vehicle like changing the oil and adding fuel stabilizer before storing your vehicle. I would rather have the car driven once a week than having it sit.

isuzu
07-23-2010, 20:37

What Chrysler vehicles are available in the Philippines? Dodge Caravans equipped with 3.3 liter engines and four speed transmissions are on sale here at $21,888.00 (from $28,000). It is rumored that this engine and transmission will be phased out in favor of the 4.0 with six speed automatic which is more economical than the 3.3 liter.

My dream Dodge vehicle is the RAM 2500 with a Cummins straight six engine. Ang lakas!