Network Setup Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Network Setup Question

npatel
07-11-2010, 00:30
I have a question about adding to my home network.

Just for a little background, my family and I live on-site at a hotel that we own. We provide free, open wifi to guests, and the network is set up like this:

Comcast Cable Modem/Wired Router --> Linksys WRT54G v2 (serves as access point) --> Linksys WAP54G Access Point --> 2 Linksys WRE54G Range Extenders.

I have the range extenders extending the WAP54G, for a total of two SSID's that have no security.

I recently acquired a WRT54G v5 for a few bucks at a thrift store, and want to use to create a secure network within the manager's quarters and office area so that our printers, business PC's, mobile devices, etc will not be visible on the public network.

I will have a desktop, laptop, 2 printers, iPhone, and HTPC desktop on this private network, and will probably limit it to only these devices' MAC addresses.

What is the best way to plug in the new router? Should I plug it into (hardwired ethernet) the cable modem/wired router, or should I plug it into the first WRT54g wireless router?

I plan to flash my new router with DD-WRT tomorrow, and then add the new network when I figure out how to do it best.

Is what I'm trying to do feasible, or am I going to create conflicts that will hurt network performance? All of these devices are on the public network, so the only thing that will be added is the new secured router.

StuntPilot
07-11-2010, 07:43
Please check my diagram. Your cable modem also servers as a wired router/switch? You would want to place the secure office network close to the exit point to the Internet.

Then set security on the v5 DD-WRT router for your secure office network. There are many people on this board who know DD-WRT, and can offer help.

Linux3
07-11-2010, 07:47
I have to go with Stuntpilot's diag.
I would also use a different subnet like maybe 192.168.60.xxx. You can use almost anything in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Using DD-WRT I would turn off advertising your SSID (And it will be different than all the other, right?).
I would use WPA2 and secure by MAC address.

Dandapani
07-11-2010, 07:51
My cable modem only provides one IP address. I have to use a router/fw (LinkSys) to give me more computers on the Internet.

npatel
07-11-2010, 11:59
Please check my diagram. Your cable modem also servers as a wired router/switch? You would want to place the secure office network close to the exit point to the Internet.

Then set security on the v5 DD-WRT router for your secure office network. There are many people on this board who know DD-WRT, and can offer help.

I have to go with Stuntpilot's diag.
I would also use a different subnet like maybe 192.168.60.xxx. You can use almost anything in the 192.168.xxx.xxx range. Using DD-WRT I would turn off advertising your SSID (And it will be different than all the other, right?).
I would use WPA2 and secure by MAC address.

Thanks for the advice -- I wanted to verify before I added to the network before I screwed anything up.

I didn't think to add a new subdomain, but I'll certainly do that. I'll also hide the ssid, as long as my phone can still find it.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Now to use the dd-wrt wiki and flash the router. Hopefully, I won't brick it.

StuntPilot
07-11-2010, 13:18
My cable modem only provides one IP address. I have to use a router/fw (LinkSys) to give me more computers on the Internet.

If your cable modem only has 1 LAN port, than use the DD-WRT router as the first connection, and then daisy chain the free WIFI router off that.

That way the office LAN will be closer to the exit point out to the internet.

I always wanted to try DD-WRT or this:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

npatel
07-11-2010, 15:06
If your cable modem only has 1 LAN port, than use the DD-WRT router as the first connection, and then daisy chain the free WIFI router off that.

That way the office LAN will be closer to the exit point out to the internet.

I always wanted to try DD-WRT or this:

http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato

I've got 4 ports on the modem, so it's not an issue.

Tomato is great -- I am using it on the router right now that provides free access. It was a lot simpler to install than dd-wrt, and does everything I need for that router.

gwalchmai
07-12-2010, 11:41
10.19.11.x is a much cooler subnet...