Short slide/low mass and drag smear on primers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Short slide/low mass and drag smear on primers

saltydog452
07-11-2010, 08:21
Are firing pin drag marks common on the short slide Glocks?

If so, what is the fix?...heavier firing pin return spring?...reduced power hammer/striker spring (if such a critter exists)?

Its kinda doubtful that the firing pin smear is going to bend the pin, but maybe primer shavings could get into the tunnel.

Ammunition isn't +P.

Glock rookie asking.

Thanks,

salty

JR
07-11-2010, 22:21
Can you post a pic of this "firing pin drag mark" ?
I am having a problem visualizing what you are trying to describe?

saltydog452
07-12-2010, 07:56
I don't have a way to post photos.

I guess I will have to join the current century eventually. A decent camera and knowing how to use it would be a reasonable start.

In another platform, firing pin drag marks were an indication that the firing pin was being briefly held against the primer as the slide traveled to the rear and the barrel was beginning to link down. Thus leaving a 'drag mark' or 'smear' on the primer.

The fix in a low mass/short slide was an xp firing pin return spring and/or reduced power hammer/main spring.

I am real green where Glocks are concerned.

In another post, a gent named 'Butch' replied that, as the Glock firing pin tip was a chisel shaped affair, I might be describing a normal Glock firing pin indentation.

I simply, flat do not know.

Thanks for the reply.

salty

JR
07-12-2010, 22:06
I thought that is what you were trying to describe. You are looking at the indentation in the primer left by the firing pin. You are concerned about metal being "dragged" to one side of the mark (when compared to the opposite side). Your question was: Is this common. The answer is yes. Butch is absolutely correct: The Glock firing pin tip is in the shape of a spade. This is a common mark made by this type striker. There is nothing to fix.....

saltydog452
07-13-2010, 09:06
Got it.

My thanks to you and Butch.

salty