What's a typical Break-In for a 4 1/4" Baer? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's a typical Break-In for a 4 1/4" Baer?

Big_Drunk
07-11-2010, 22:22
After field stripping, light cleaning and lubricating (Break-Free), I took a "new to me" Les Baer Commanche to a range. The pistol was purported to have about 200 rounds through it; although, after disassembly, I seriously doubt it had 200 rounds fired. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it had not been fired by the first owner.

Of course, it was incredibly tight. I had a few FTF's. The few rounds that just weren't quite making it out of the magazine into the chamber were Winchester 230gr XTS HP's. There was one Golden Sabre that didn't feed but after that, those worked well. They appeared to be stuck on the beveled part of the frame that serves as a feed ramp, and when I slingshot the slide they went right in the chamber. The FTF happened about three times when I first started shooting and then it worked great for about 150 rounds. Toward the end of my session I had two more FTF's with the Winchester HP's in different magazines.

The only magazine that experienced no problems was a mag that came with the pistol from Les Baer. There was a Wilson 47D that only had one FTF a the end of the day. There were two CMC Power mags that had like two FTF's each.

I'm not disappointed. The pistol seems really accurate. The trigger is great. I'm just going to keep cleaning it and shooting it and hopefully It'll work itself out.

I'm thinking the first few were because of the close tolerances and the last couple was because of the tolerances combined with the pistol getting fouled. There was a period of 130 rounds or so in the middle when it was shooting everything sometimes mixed in the mags. It never malfunctioned with the ball ammo. Any thoughts?

MD357
07-11-2010, 22:27
It takes about 3-4K rounds before a Baer gets to somewhat normal "tightness" by my experiences.

dakrat
07-11-2010, 23:09
After field stripping, light cleaning and lubricating (Break-Free), I took a "new to me" Les Baer Commanche to a range. The pistol was purported to have about 200 rounds through it; although, after disassembly, I seriously doubt it had 200 rounds fired. I wouldn't be surprised to learn it had not been fired by the first owner.

Of course, it was incredibly tight. I had a few FTF's. The few rounds that just weren't quite making it out of the magazine into the chamber were Winchester 230gr XTS HP's. There was one Golden Sabre that didn't feed but after that, those worked well. They appeared to be stuck on the beveled part of the frame that serves as a feed ramp, and when I slingshot the slide they went right in the chamber. The FTF happened about three times when I first started shooting and then it worked great for about 150 rounds. Toward the end of my session I had two more FTF's with the Winchester HP's in different magazines.

The only magazine that experienced no problems was a mag that came with the pistol from Les Baer. There was a Wilson 47D that only had one FTF a the end of the day. There were two CMC Power mags that had like two FTF's each.

I'm not disappointed. The pistol seems really accurate. The trigger is great. I'm just going to keep cleaning it and shooting it and hopefully It'll work itself out.

I'm thinking the first few were because of the close tolerances and the last couple was because of the tolerances combined with the pistol getting fouled. There was a period of 130 rounds or so in the middle when it was shooting everything sometimes mixed in the mags. It never malfunctioned with the ball ammo. Any thoughts?

break it in with ball ammo first. once broken-in, you can experiment with HPs. Good luck

Hokie1911
07-11-2010, 23:36
Any thoughts?

Yeah, obviously you're doing something wrong. I can PM you my address and you can send it to me for, ummmmmm, proper break-in. :whistling:

brzusa.1911
07-12-2010, 06:50

Big_Drunk, which Commanche do you have? I have a SS (CVIII) Commanche and mine has 450 rounds trouble free, the only HPs I fired through it were WWB JHP, I will try GoldenSabers sometime this week and post results. If you have the blue commanche, it may be the tolerances are tighter than in the SS guns. My blue Custom Carry feels tighter than my SS, eventhough the SS is freaking tight already. My CC is a work to take down for a field strip (I love it), the CVIII is a pain as well, but a little less painfull.

When I received both guns, both bought NIB, I took them down, cleaned the rails with gunscrubber and a toothbrush, and the barrel with a boresnake. Then a sprayed the whole gun with breakfree to remove any gunscrubber left out.

I lubbed the life of the rails - used TW25B first, racked the slide (without the barrel and spring) maybe 5-10 times against the frame just to spread the grease, applied a little of TW25B to the barrel lugs on the slide along with FP10 (mixed them both). When everything was well lubbed, I applied some drops of FP10 to the rails and re-assembled the gun. It felt much, much, much...smoother than when I received from the dealer.

As I said, the CVIII took 450 rounds without problems, the CC has 200 also without problems.

Big_Drunk
07-12-2010, 07:13
It is a CVII. As you know. it is blued. I may have been a little ambitious with the variety of HP's. It actually only FTF once with the Golden Sabre's; it was the Winchester XTS HP's that gave the most trouble. I fired about 175 rounds total, myself.

I like the lubrication regiment you suggested. I used break-free, because that's what they put on them at Les Baer. I would have slathered it down with slide glide-lite, but that jar was at my office! You're right, disassembly/assembly was something! I had heard that Baer suggests shooting 500 rounds before initial cleaning! (to loosen it up for disassembly). I'm going to clean it up real good and try the Slide Glide-lite this time. You're going to laugh, but the main purpose of my outing was to practice sweeping the safety and changing magazines for when the Springfield Pro arrives! (Pro is the only 1911 authorized for duty carry.)

hokie...Thanks for your generous offer!:supergrin: Your response makes me feel that you think the issue will soon resolve itself! (This is a fun site. I like it that the mood is always light!)

Thanks for the swift replies.

Hokie1911
07-12-2010, 07:23
It is a CVII. As you know. it is blued. I may have been a little ambitious with the variety of HP's. It actually only FTF once with the Golden Sabre's; it was the Winchester XTS HP's that gave the most trouble. I fired about 175 rounds total, myself.

I like the lubrication regiment you suggested. I used break-free, because that's what they put on them at Les Baer. I would have slathered it down with slide glide-lite, but that jar was at my office! You're right, disassembly/assembly was something! I had heard that Baer suggests shooting 500 rounds before initial cleaning! (to loosen it up for disassembly). I'm going to clean it up real good and try the Slide Glide-lite this time. You're going to laugh, but the main purpose of my outing was to practice sweeping the safety and changing magazines for when the Springfield Pro arrives! (Pro is the only 1911 authorized for duty carry.)

hokie...Thanks for your generous offer!:supergrin: Your response makes me feel that you think the issue will soon resolve itself! (This is a fun site. I like it that the mood is always light!)

Thanks for the swift replies.

SlideGlide is good stuff. That's what I use on my rails, etc... and CLP to lube. My advice....lube her up and break her in good. :thumbsup:

samuse
07-12-2010, 07:51
Amazing. A las Baer that won't run and it's no big deal? Something is not right with that pistol. It should work.

Jim Watson
07-12-2010, 07:59
Big thread on another board about how the Commanche 4.25" departs from Colt Commander design and sometimes has to be fixed.
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=76359
Go down until you get to John Harrison's description of the difference and his take on the matter.

Officer's Match
07-12-2010, 08:45
Amazing. A las Baer that won't run and it's no big deal? Something is not right with that pistol. It should work.

Guns don't get tighter with use. Les Baer's are deliberately "too" tight initially. Something that one can chuckle about tens of thousands of rounds later.

SIGShooter
07-12-2010, 18:53
There are 2,735 rounds through my Thunder Ranch. It is just now starting to loosen up. I still cannot remove the bushing by hand. It is still extremely tight.

I still consider my gun not broken in yet. I'm thinking about another 2500 rounds and I will be good to go. I can only speculate as to how many rounds for a commanche for break-inI'm thinking, initially, 3,000

samuse
07-12-2010, 19:01
Guns don't get tighter with use. Les Baer's are deliberately "too" tight initially. Something that one can chuckle about tens of thousands of rounds later.

Guns don't heal either. My Baer was 100% outta the box. As should any gun that cost as much.

Big_Drunk
07-12-2010, 21:10
Big thread on another board about how the Commanche 4.25" departs from Colt Commander design and sometimes has to be fixed.
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=76359
Go down until you get to John Harrison's description of the difference and his take on the matter.

My slight issue is with feeding, not ejection.

Did the 100% perfect experiences include a mix of hp ammo right off the bat? My main issue was with the Winchester XTS HP's. It did great with ball ammunition. I'll let ya'll know how this plays out. I'm really not too concerned. If there's something more than a break-in issue, I know it can be worked out. I really like the gun.

COLDSTEEL165
07-13-2010, 01:30
Question on a brand new 1911 NIB is it a good idea to fild strip it down & clean it before firing the 200 break in round's through it ? or should I fire it first then field clean & lub it ?

Rinspeed
07-13-2010, 04:21
Question on a brand new 1911 NIB is it a good idea to fild strip it down & clean it before firing the 200 break in round's through it ? or should I fire it first then field clean & lub it ?

Les Baer recommends you shoot 500 rounds through one of his before cleaning or field stripping. I shot 300 rounds the first day and took it apart for a good cleaning. Most of the new pistols I've bought I just wiped the exterior down ran a couple patches down the bore and went shooting. :dunno:

Jim S.
07-13-2010, 10:32
Many 1911 problems are usually from the magazines you are using.
It sometimes takes a few experiments to find the right mags for your gun.
I like to "polish" the rails and some of the other tight things on a new gun.
I said polish, not remove any metal.
I like to polish the bushing outside dimensions so that you can take it apart without a bushing wrench. That requires some very fine sandpaper and a gentle touch.
I would try different magazines before I worried about the gun.
I consider a 1911 reliable if I can get 1000 rounds through her without a problem.
It sometimes takes experimenting with ammo too.

Rinspeed
07-13-2010, 10:44
Good post Jim.

bac1023
07-14-2010, 01:07
Yeah, obviously you're doing something wrong. I can PM you my address and you can send it to me for, ummmmmm, proper break-in. :whistling:

:rofl:

Big_Drunk
07-21-2010, 22:33
I cleaned the pistol and lubricated it with Slide-Glide Lite. I shot 130 rounds today with about 75 Winchester and Golden Saber HP's mixed in with no malfunctions of any kind. I was quite pleased.

moredes
07-22-2010, 08:25
The two most common culprits to bad feeding are magazines and extractor tension. If you have no more problems, then my point is moot. If not, Google 'extractor tension' and tweak your extractor if necessary. It's not hard; ya don't need any 'mechanical skills', just diligence and patience. (Almost nobody likes Baer magazines--they're not selling "like hotcakes" like the 47D.)

One of the reasons Baer products are cheaper than Wilson and Brown's is because the customer does the final polishing (by paying for the ammo). "500" is his 'magic number'...some don't need half that much, some claim to need 6x that number. It's a crapshoot.

Rinspeed
07-22-2010, 10:01
One of the reasons Baer products are cheaper than Wilson and Brown's is because the customer does the final polishing (by paying for the ammo). "500" is his 'magic number'...some don't need half that much, some claim to need 6x that number. It's a crapshoot.

:upeyes:

brzusa.1911
07-22-2010, 10:25
I cleaned the pistol and lubricated it with Slide-Glide Lite. I shot 130 rounds today with about 75 Winchester and Golden Saber HP's mixed in with no malfunctions of any kind. I was quite pleased.

Awesome!!! That is all it needed, little lub love :woohoo:

These guns are amazing. My LBCVIII is the 5th Commander/Commanche style pistol I have (only have two now), but with all the bias aside it is the best, most accurate...Commander/Commanche gun I've ever shot.

I have gotten into the argument with people who say the Commanche does not fit the Colt's Commander specs...:chatter: The truth I found, for me, is that it fits Les Baer specs for the Commanche pistols, period! I don't really (I mean REALLY) care if any gun fits Colts specs or not, IMHO Colt is not the ultimate word in 1911s (actually, with all due respect to the pony, it is way below on my list of looking it up to comparison).

My Commanche has been reliable out of the box for 525 rounds (including Goden Saber HP, and WWB HP)

I've had a brief moment thinking about selling it when I got my LB CC 5", I am glad that moment is gone, the CBOB will most likely go first and another 5" or Commanche will come in.