1911 Noob Disassembly Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 Noob Disassembly Question

fortyofforty
07-12-2010, 05:33
Based on your experience, what is the best way to disassemble a 1911 with the standard guide rod? My Kimber manual says to remove the bushing first, then the rest follows. A good friend of mine says to take out the slide lock lever, then remove the slide, holding the recoil spring in place, then carefully remove the spring and rod. The bushing comes last. He says this preserves the barrel/bushing fit better, since when the bushing is removed there is no tension on the parts holding it in place. It's a pain getting it back in place this way, though, since the spring wants to launch the guide rod across the room. What is the consensus of the experts around here? Also, specifically, when removing the slide lock lever, must I be careful not to depress the grip safety? Thanks!

drc767
07-12-2010, 05:37
Follow the Kimber manual. Your friend has it wrong unless your dealing with a pistol with a bull barrel with no barrel bushing.

brzusa.1911
07-12-2010, 07:03
Based on your experience, what is the best way to disassemble a 1911 with the standard guide rod? My Kimber manual says to remove the bushing first, then the rest follows. A good friend of mine says to take out the slide lock lever, then remove the slide, holding the recoil spring in place, then carefully remove the spring and rod. The bushing comes last. He says this preserves the barrel/bushing fit better, since when the bushing is removed there is no tension on the parts holding it in place. It's a pain getting it back in place this way, though, since the spring wants to launch the guide rod across the room. What is the consensus of the experts around here? Also, specifically, when removing the slide lock lever, must I be careful not to depress the grip safety? Thanks!

A lot of people use your friend's techinque. I am not sure of the benefits, but I see many people doing it. I personally remove the bushing first, then the slide stop/release. My guns have no relatinship between the slide stop/release and the grip safety, so it doesn't really matter, I am not sure about the Kimbers since it uses different firing controls. Good luck and congrats on your gun...shoot it a lot and post dirty pictures!!!

Rinspeed
07-12-2010, 07:46
Your friend is right, I always take my 1911s apart by pulling the slide stop first.

drc767
07-12-2010, 08:09
Your friend is right, I always take my 1911s apart by pulling the slide stop first.

If you use this method, make sure your cupping the bottom of the frame/slide and wearing eye protection as you pull the slide from the frame and during re-assembly. The spring/guide rod assembly is under tension and can come shooting out in different directions. That is why I prefer releasing the tension via the bushing/spring cup removal, then removing the slide stop.

fortyofforty
07-12-2010, 17:22
If you use this method, make sure your cupping the bottom of the frame/slide and wearing eye protection as you pull the slide from the frame and during re-assembly. The spring/guide rod assembly is under tension and can come shooting out in different directions. That is why I prefer releasing the tension via the bushing/spring cup removal, then removing the slide stop.

Does this in any way affect the bushing/barrel fit? Does it cause any extra wear on the bushing or the barrel that would adversely affect accuracy?

07-12-2010, 17:30
On a match fit barrel bushing -- I believe, your friend is right. Additionally, my smith told me to slide the barrel out of battery before turning the bushing.

On a factory gun, it does not matter. They are already a little loose.

I only have one gun that I consider match quality.. It is a custom 9mm 1911. The gunsmith told me to take it down with the friend's technique.

brzusa.1911
07-12-2010, 17:37
Does this in any way affect the bushing/barrel fit? Does it cause any extra wear on the bushing or the barrel that would adversely affect accuracy?

I am not an expert but I am pretty sure it won't. Another thing you can do is not to remove the bushing. Turn the bushing clockwise just enough to clear the recoil spring plug. Remove the plug and proceed to remove the slide stop/release, at this point there will be no preassure from the spring and once you remove the slide you can take the spring out, turn the barrel link towards the bushing direction push the barrel and the bushing will follow. This is how, the only way, I take down my Les Baers as there is no way I can remove the bushing from the barrel while still in the slide.