Questions about an older Springfield Custom Shop 1911 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Questions about an older Springfield Custom Shop 1911

deadite
07-12-2010, 10:19
I already e-mailed Bac about this one and he gave me the green light. :)

I'm getting ready to trade for an older Springfield Armory Custom Shop 1911. The guy is the second owner and doesn't know much about it besides that it shoots well. :) Here's a picture that he sent me:

http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq15/deadite_photos/guns%20with%20new%20camera/SA1911.jpg

I called SA with the serial number of NM6615* and Vickie said that it was made and sent out in 1990 and that it was a Competition model #PC9401. She said that Deb was at Camp Perry and could tell me more if I called back in a week or so. I Googled the model # and "Distinguished Limited" came up. I don't know if that's an accurate name for the model or what.

Also, I heard that Les Baer was in charge of the Custom Shop back then. Is that correct?

Anyway, I had what he wanted and the trade should happen in a couple days. It comes with Bomar sights, what looks like a muzzle brake, 4 Ed Brown Mags and an optics mount that coincides with the holes in the frame. :)

Any information you may have or know would be appreciated!

deadite

bladeandbarrel
07-12-2010, 14:34
I would be very leery of that pistol for a few reasons-the hammer, beavertail, slide stop have all been changed. I would demand a 3-day inspection at the very least. Sorry to rain on your parade. Who knows what else has been fiddled with?

deadite
07-12-2010, 14:40
I would be very leery of that pistol for a few reasons-the hammer, beavertail, slide stop have all been changed. I would demand a 3-day inspection at the very least. Sorry to rain on your parade. Who knows what else has been fiddled with?

Thanks for the reply.

I sort of suspected the beavertail. I guess the slide stop doesn't really bother me, but you're right. No way to tell what else has been changed out.

deadite

rsxr22
07-12-2010, 15:09
looks like a good gun, but like the previous poster mentioned, i would also try to handle it before i purchased it and check some stuff

deadite
07-12-2010, 16:40
I sent the guy an e-mail mentioning the updates to the gun, so we'll see what he says.

deadite

07-12-2010, 17:20
I had the not so custom version. It was called a "Springfield Factory Comp". It shot well. I got rid of it for no real reason. They are a pain to dissassemble, if it has the same bushing set up that mine had. I used to shoot bowling pins with it and some very hot loads.

willowofwisp
07-12-2010, 17:36
hey that gun is from michigan

deadite
07-12-2010, 18:35
hey that gun is from michigan

That's right. :)

deadite <<< who also lives in MI :)

deadite
07-12-2010, 18:39
Ok, theoretical question.

Would you pay $950.00 for this or trade an equivilant valued gun knowing that it may have been modified? What if it still works great? Just trying to make a decision. I'm not sure what a custom Shop Springfield goes for.

Thanks!

deadite

HAIL CAESAR
07-12-2010, 21:06
Personally...I wouldn't touch it for 9 bills unless I knew the whole life and history or it.

deadite
07-12-2010, 21:13
Personally...I wouldn't touch it for 9 bills unless I knew the whole life and history or it.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I've decided to skip this one and look for another nice 1911. :)

deadite

The_Drizzle
07-12-2010, 21:19
I think you are making a good choice by skipping on this. It looks like the sear/disconnector pin is missing as well. May just be black though.

HAIL CAESAR
07-12-2010, 23:24
Thanks for all the replies and advice. I've decided to skip this one and look for another nice 1911. :)

deadite

I think you are making a wise choice. To much unknown, to much could be wrong.

bladeandbarrel
07-12-2010, 23:50
No way those scope mount holes are factory either..sloppy..

deadite
07-13-2010, 06:27
Yeah, I was worried I was getting "1911 fever", which I've had before, that blinds me to the imperfections of a gun. I debated just throwing caution to the wind and gambling on it. I've done that in the past and regretted it.

Also, there's a part of me that likes to tinker with my guns. I was imagining fixing the problems and maybe sending it back to the Custom Shop for some work, but not at the seller's price.

Plus, the two equivilant valued guns I was going to trade for it are in fantastic shape and I know I would have been kicking myself.

I haven't heard back from the guy, but I assume he's probably a little peeved at me for backing out. I was afraid that I would go and handle it in person and then feel pressure to take it even though I was having reservations.

Well, onward toward nicer 1911's. :)

deadite