Hottest ammunition in the market?! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hottest ammunition in the market?!

240sxs13sleeper
07-12-2010, 16:59
the *!*DPX Corbon*!*

I switched hollow point from MAGTECH .45acp +p 165gr to DPX Corbon .45acp +p 185gr. Is this a good choice? Is anyone carrying or switched to Corbon? If so how do you like it.

I put them side by side and the DPX is noticeably taller. Not by much though, but what was a big difference was the price$$$ ...pictures of the 2 ammunition below....

-thao:cool:

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/240sxs13sleeper/168239.jpg http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p149/240sxs13sleeper/CBDPX4518520.jpg

BWT
07-12-2010, 17:09
I shoot the Corbon. I believe it has a flash suppressant type power. We shot a few rounds (at the current price, all I could afford) at night and could notice the difference in the flash compared to other ammo. It is a full power round!

MarccraM
07-12-2010, 20:28
I have the 185+ dpx 45acp as you mention. I think its great ammo. Very expensive though..

I'm not a magtech fan personally.

I think dpx is better.. Jmo

2bgop
07-12-2010, 20:48
I have the 185+ dpx 45acp as you mention. I think its great ammo. Very expensive though..

I'm not a magtech fan personally.

I think dpx is better.. Jmo

I agree, but that magtech ammo is not the worst you can do, IMO.

240sxs13sleeper
07-13-2010, 00:16
Hey thanks for the inputs guys. I have not yet got the chance to shoot them because i dont want to spend $42 again. lol. I just want to test to feel the difference and to compare the two.

-thao

UnTainted
07-16-2010, 20:25
I wish corbon would use nickel cases

Ak.Hiker
07-17-2010, 00:24
I think you made a very good choice. CB has a real winner with the DPX line.

Jeepnik
07-17-2010, 09:57
Hmmm, another latest and greatest. Anyone else notice that "latest and greatest" ammo is spring up faster and faster? Can't wait till they make ammo that has an onboard targeting system so you don't "actually" have to worry about hitting the target in a "vital" area. If you do actually aim the darned thing, and hit the target appropriately, the minor differences between a good old traditional JHP, and a "super" JHP won't make one darned bit of difference. But then, if most folks thought it through, then the advertising folks wouldn't have been doing their job correctly.:wavey:

Chuck54
07-20-2010, 16:43
I'm good with Federal HST +P 230.

Ak.Hiker
07-21-2010, 00:42

I know a Federal-Speer dealer that carries the HST 230 +P as a field load in the winter when out on his snow machine in the back country. He has 100% confidence in the HST. He has plenty of other loads in his shop to choose from.

unit1069
07-23-2010, 23:12
Hmmm, another latest and greatest. Anyone else notice that "latest and greatest" ammo is spring up faster and faster? Can't wait till they make ammo that has an onboard targeting system so you don't "actually" have to worry about hitting the target in a "vital" area. If you do actually aim the darned thing, and hit the target appropriately, the minor differences between a good old traditional JHP, and a "super" JHP won't make one darned bit of difference. But then, if most folks thought it through, then the advertising folks wouldn't have been doing their job correctly.:wavey:

Good points. I have three different carry ammos in the three different pistols I own, all made by three different ammunition companies.

There are so many factors that go into finding the optimum self-defense JHP round that focusing on the "hottest" or, as you write, the "latest and greatest" whatever often defeats the search.

For example, there are more than a few Glock Talk members who conduct informative backyard tests; and many examples abound where bullets driven at velocities above their capacity to handle those velocities ends in sub-par performance. And velocity is just one factor that goes into finding the optimum round for a particular pistol.

PghJim
07-25-2010, 00:49
I think the DPX ammo should be very good, but I have not heard of any reports from actual shootings so I have held off. I know that Clint Smith loves it and even took a deer with the 185gr Corbon load. I have some of the ammo and it will even open up after going through leather which is pretty good. Unlike the previous comment, I think new bullet development is great and we have seen a lot of advances in the past 10 years. If anyone knows of actual shooting results of this round, I would love to hear about it.

Great Googly Moogly
07-25-2010, 01:05
I never shoot +P ammo in my 1911 or my Sig P220. I just shoot a quality standard pressure hollowpoint ammo. If I do my job, the bullet will do it's job.

PghJim
07-25-2010, 01:23
I never shoot +P ammo in my 1911 or my Sig P220. I just shoot a quality standard pressure hollowpoint ammo. If I do my job, the bullet will do it's job.

There may be good reasons to shoot standard pressure for things like quick follow up shots. I do not think 3,000 PSI make that big of difference on gun wear, especially if you only use the +p for carry purposes. I think 45 acp expansion is questionable below a 5" barrel, and that is why I shoot +P out of my 4" barrels.

Gunnut 45/454
07-25-2010, 22:58
Was that $42 per 20? God you guy's kill me!:rofl: That super ammo sure is so great!!:whistling:

240sxs13sleeper
07-26-2010, 20:31
Was that $42 per 20? God you guy's kill me!:rofl: That super ammo sure is so great!!:whistling:

I know right. lol. Their has been a couple of videos on youtube comparing the corbon with other hollowpoints. The actual company made videos of ballistic gel shooting. Pretty neat stuff.

W4CNG
07-28-2010, 12:12
I switched over to Cor-Bon DPX across the board more than 2 years ago before the price started up and supplies dried up. I have a good supply of them and have run enough thru all of my guns to insure reloability. The bullet is longer because pure copper has more volume than the jacketed lead types of the same weight. So it has a nice taper on the front and sits a bit lower in the case.

Glock21sf-miami
07-28-2010, 13:36

+1. I have also tested them in all my .45s and they are very accurate and expand reliably. The recoil suggests that these rounds pack a nasty punch.

Colorado4Wheel
07-28-2010, 14:05
Hey thanks for the inputs guys. I have not yet got the chance to shoot them because i dont want to spend $42 again. lol. I just want to test to feel the difference and to compare the two.

-thao

Good plan. Then if the gun jams on the second shot you can just throw it at the guys while they drive off in your car.

silentpoet
07-31-2010, 05:11
Extreme shock or DRT ammo.

:)

cmspeedy
07-31-2010, 05:38
+1. I have also tested them in all my .45s and they are very accurate and expand reliably. The recoil suggests that these rounds pack a nasty punch.

The harsh recoil and slow follow ups are exactly why I stopped carrying HST 230g+P. I'll stick with the HST standard pressure 230g.

Now if I need to carry my pistol while hunting I will carry the +P, but not in the city.

240sxs13sleeper
08-03-2010, 20:43
Good plan. Then if the gun jams on the second shot you can just throw it at the guys while they drive off in your car.

lol.. Thats not gonna happen. Not long after i read your post i went out to another gun range which sold corbon ammunition and shot the ones i already had.
The first shot surprised me. A bit more kick and way bigger flash :wow: than the magtec. so test confirmed! :supergrin:

-thao