Shotgun magazine extensions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun magazine extensions

my762buzz
07-12-2010, 17:32
To your knowledge, have shotgun magazine extensions ever presented a court room stigma with prosecutors, juries, or civil trial attorneys?
I refer to +2,+3, or up to plus 5 extra rounds beyond the manufacturer's
factory capacity. I suppose I might as well ask to include in your views shotguns like the mossberg cruiser which hold more than a typical 4 or 5 rounds.

Mas Ayoob
07-12-2010, 22:19
When opposing counsel's job is to demonize you in the eyes of the jury, you can expect him to use every tool at his disposal. If he has done his homework, he knows that the media has brainwashed X-percent of the jury pool to believe accessories like this create evil "assault weapons" that would only be used by those with malice in their hearts.

You and I know and most everyone here at Glock Talk know that argument is BS. The trick is making that clear to a jury of non-gun laypersons.

Do a Google search for the jury perspective research published by Dr. Glenn Meyer. Yes, even though it shouldn't be, it IS a factor we have to take into consideration.

Most of the shotguns in my own personal defense battery have extended magazines. I would make sure the jury learned that this was so because (A) these guns need to be stored with empty chambers, since they don't usually have passive "drop-safe" firing pin locks, so you're down one round from full capacity at the starting gate...(B) when kept fully loaded, magazine springs in shotguns sometimes lose their strength, resulting in stoppages or "jams," so it is wise to load them down one shell from full capacity...(C) this would leave the standard 4-round magazine shotgun, capable of holding five shells when fully loaded, actually loaded with only three...(D) assuming 60% hit potential, a homeowner with a three-round shotgun would not be capable of successfully fighting off three armed home invaders...and your attorney closes with a recapitulation of all of this, and a sound bite like, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury -- Do The Math!"

Obviously, a larger magazine capacity solves these tactical problems.

I would also add that in a home invasion situation, the wise homeowner awakened by a burglar alarm or the sound of a door being kicked in will arm himself, take a cover position, and call police. If the intruders are leisurely in their ransacking of the other rooms before approaching the room where the homeowner and his family are ensconced, they may take a good deal of time doing so. One can only hold a shotgun up and ready to fire for so long. It is helpful to be able to rest the long gun atop cover. If you do that with a short magazine pump gun, the cover may block the return of the slide handle after the first shot and jam the gun. An extended magazine allows a braced cover position without this potentially deadly tactical deficit, for an extended period of time.

Sorry for a long answer to a short question, but the bottom line from my point of view is:

Yes, they'll very likely try to make a big deal of it...

...but if you know how to explain your choice of weapon (and of course, your use of it) I suspect you'll probably win that point.

Kudos to you for thinking ahead,
Mas

my762buzz
07-13-2010, 23:18
That was very helpful. Thank you.