Mossberg 500 with Knox Spec Ops... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500 with Knox Spec Ops...

gnepig
07-12-2010, 21:59
... recoil reducing stock... I thought these things were supose to reduce recoil?!... It seems to be working as seen in the video we took of it, but it kicks as hard as my other shotguns with fixed stocks on them. Doesn't feel like it's reducing recoil, just delaying it. Oh yeah, the part where the cheek rest kicks you in the face sucks too...

What did I do wrong or is this thing boggus? I know one thing, the new stock makes the Mossberg weigh alot more than the other SG's that I have.

gnepig
07-13-2010, 19:04
The video:

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c135/cngcycle/Numbers/?action=view&current=100_2006.mp4

JBnTX
07-14-2010, 11:09
Just another tacticool gadget designed to separate you from your
hard earned money.:rofl:

WoodenPlank
07-14-2010, 13:01
That is unusual, as the Knoxx pistol grip on my 590 works wonders. Compared to a standard fixed pistol grip, it is a WORLD of difference. After about 2 full magazines my wrist cannot take any more (I have carpal tunnel and nerve damage) with a standard pistol grip, but I can shoot as long as I want (and ammo holds out) with the BreachersGrip. Both the pistol grip and stock use the same recoil mechanism, so I find it odd that you think it is actually WORSE.

aippi
07-14-2010, 16:03
If you have the recoil reducing one and not the NR version then the stock works as it is designed. You can not shoot it like a conventional stock. You have to keep your left arm loose because if you are locking it, then you are locking up the weapon and not letting the stock take the recoil. Let the arm cam back with the stock.

Also, anyone who says they are getting cheek slap is also not shooting it correctly. Bead sight barrels are the big issue when a guys does not know the correct way to shoot this stock. You simply keep your head up and raise the weapon up to your line of sight not lay your face down to the weapon. You can do this by hunching the shoulder or even raising the stock up higher in the pocket of you shoulder. You can do this because recoil is not going to an issue.

You can review the correct way to shoot this stock on www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) on the "build your weapon page" as I cover this on that page.

Anyone who tells you this stock does not work should be sent to that page as they are not shooting the stock correctly. Once you master this stock you will find they are very expensive to shoot 'casue if you take 200 rds to the range, you will shoot 200 rds. You will also find you can shoot a pump as fast as a semi-auto. It take some practice but you will get there if you follow the above advce.

gnepig
07-14-2010, 22:57
If you have the recoil reducing one and not the NR version then the stock works as it is designed. You can not shoot it like a conventional stock. You have to keep your left arm loose because if you are locking it, then you are locking up the weapon and not letting the stock take the recoil. Let the arm cam back with the stock.

Also, anyone who says they are getting cheek slap is also not shooting it correctly. Bead sight barrels are the big issue when a guys does not know the correct way to shoot this stock. You simply keep your head up and raise the weapon up to your line of sight not lay your face down to the weapon. You can do this by hunching the shoulder or even raising the stock up higher in the pocket of you shoulder. You can do this because recoil is not going to an issue.

You can review the correct way to shoot this stock on www.aiptactical.com (http://www.aiptactical.com) on the "build your weapon page" as I cover this on that page.

Anyone who tells you this stock does not work should be sent to that page as they are not shooting the stock correctly. Once you master this stock you will find they are very expensive to shoot 'casue if you take 200 rds to the range, you will shoot 200 rds. You will also find you can shoot a pump as fast as a semi-auto. It take some practice but you will get there if you follow the above advce.

I was hoping it was just me,, I will reveiw your link... Thanx

CTfam
07-16-2010, 18:24
Mine worked great. Trust me, I sold it and I DO notice the difference. I may try the compstock when I have a few dollars to blow.

Bill Lumberg
07-17-2010, 06:16
Not that much recoil with a factory stock. Recoil reduction is in how you hold the gun. But I noted your report of the extra weight. How much did the part weigh? How much more than the old stock?... recoil reducing stock... I thought these things were supose to reduce recoil?!... It seems to be working as seen in the video we took of it, but it kicks as hard as my other shotguns with fixed stocks on them. Doesn't feel like it's reducing recoil, just delaying it. Oh yeah, the part where the cheek rest kicks you in the face sucks too...

What did I do wrong or is this thing boggus? I know one thing, the new stock makes the Mossberg weigh alot more than the other SG's that I have.

Navitimer
07-17-2010, 12:22
I have one on my Remington 870 Tac-2, and it definately makes a difference compared to a normal 12 gauge. Knoxx makes two stocks - one is recoil reducing and one isn't, so you may just want to double check and ensure you've got the right one. I've been extremely pleased with mine.

JFrame
07-17-2010, 12:35
I have a Knoxx SpecOps stock on my Mossberg 500 Mariner. The perceived recoil seems the same, but the actual felt recoil on my shoulder feels quite a bit less (if that makes any sense). After shooting 10 rounds of double-ought buck rapid-fire (as fast as I can fire and shuck, reload 5 rounds, and fire-shuck again), I noticed the booming blasts of the 12 gauge, but didn't feel the commensurate impact on my shoulder through the polo shirt I was wearing (nor did I feel any tenderness thereafter).

gnepig
07-19-2010, 10:32
Not that much recoil with a factory stock. Recoil reduction is in how you hold the gun. But I noted your report of the extra weight. How much did the part weigh? How much more than the old stock?

This shotgun came to me with the pistol grip, I think it's called the Cruiser.
I put this stock on mainly for the wife, for better control and so she wouldn't bust herself in the face when she tried to aim and fire. This shotgun is mainly for home defense, I would like to keep it simple (we don't live in a very good neighborhood).
The loads I was using in the video are 2 3/4 - #7 1/2 bird shot and it did bruise her shoulder.
I think the part where we are holding the butt pad up so high to see down the sites (groove/Bead) is causing the problem= way too little surface area to dissapate the energy evenly on the shoulder.
Anyone have ideas on how to drop the butt stock down some and/or raise the sites some to make this more comfortable?
Or will we enjoy this one better: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0003645223944a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH_all&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=36&Ntt=stocks&Ntk=Products&sort=all&N=0&Nty=1&hasJS=true&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form1

I keep reading about how much better the Bead site is than others for home defense, will I see the Bead better with the ATI stock?

kenny g
07-25-2010, 00:32
How much was the stock? The recoil reducing stocks are about 140.00 and the NRS (non recoil surpressing) are about 70.00. My friend has one on his 870 and it shoots very soft, his petite wife can shoot it with ease.

Paniolo55
07-25-2010, 19:24
I have Knoxx Specops folding wire stocks on my 590A1 and FN police shotguns. The Knoxx stocks work great. The safety on the 590A1 is a little tough to engage but I love the Knoxx stocks.

gnepig
07-25-2010, 23:31
How much was the stock? The recoil reducing stocks are about 140.00 and the NRS (non recoil surpressing) are about 70.00. My friend has one on his 870 and it shoots very soft, his petite wife can shoot it with ease.

This is what I bought , from here:
http://www.opticsplanet.net/blackhawk-knoxx-specops-adjustable-shotgun-stocks.html

JFrame
07-26-2010, 15:29
Oddly enough, this thread has had the effect of getting me to order a second Knoxx SpecOps stock, this time for my Pardner...

Go figger...

FYI -- Natchez is selling the recoil-reduction model on sale for $82.99 till the end of this month...

cj5mrt
07-26-2010, 15:53
Oddly enough, this thread has had the effect of getting me to order a second Knoxx SpecOps stock, this time for my Pardner...

Go figger...

FYI -- Natchez is selling the recoil-reduction model on sale for $82.99 till the end of this month...

That's a great deal right there.

Mike

JFrame
07-26-2010, 16:07
That's a great deal right there.

Mike

Yup -- oddly enough, the sale price isn't shown on their online site. You have to call them and quote the hardcopy catalog number. The sale might be applied online also, but I never tried.

gnasty1521
07-28-2010, 16:55
I took my Maverick 88 out when I first bought it with the original stock. I shot about 40 rounds and my shoulder was tore up. Purple marks all over and a large amount of tenderness afterward. I got the Knoxx Recoil Reducing, shot 75 rounds, and there was nothing to speak of. I was so impressed I couldn't stop talking about it, and my step-dad ordered one and noticed the exact same results.

I watched the video, and you have the right stock, but remember these are mass-produced. Possibly you could have gotten a "bad" or defective one.

unit1069
07-31-2010, 07:33
I certainly hope the Knoxx reduced recoil system works, since I bought one yesterday.

I have owned a stockless pistol-gripped Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel for fifteen years and shot it perhaps three times. It's nice for maneuverability but horrible to control with self-defense #4 buckshot loads. Like WoodenPlank wrote the pistol grip model really puts a hurt on the hand.

The Knoxx part bolted right onto the receiver with no problem using the tool that came with the kit. Does anyone know about anything else I should do besides testing it out? (Thinking of starting with #9 birdshot and going up from there)

Also, does the Knoxx forend fit on my Maverick 88? I'm not planning on switching out the stock one but would just like to know. I think having a stock on this 12 gauge shotgun will make a big difference in performance and useage, and if the recoil is minimized that will be a huge plus.

sns3guppy
08-01-2010, 07:28
I have one on a mossberg 590, and it works exactly as advertised.

WoodenPlank
08-01-2010, 07:38
I certainly hope the Knoxx reduced recoil system works, since I bought one yesterday.

I have owned a stockless pistol-gripped Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel for fifteen years and shot it perhaps three times. It's nice for maneuverability but horrible to control with self-defense #4 buckshot loads. Like WoodenPlank wrote the pistol grip model really puts a hurt on the hand.

The Knoxx part bolted right onto the receiver with no problem using the tool that came with the kit. Does anyone know about anything else I should do besides testing it out? (Thinking of starting with #9 birdshot and going up from there)

Also, does the Knoxx forend fit on my Maverick 88? I'm not planning on switching out the stock one but would just like to know. I think having a stock on this 12 gauge shotgun will make a big difference in performance and useage, and if the recoil is minimized that will be a huge plus.

Shoot the heck out of it. I was running 1oz Super X slugs one handed with mine with no problems. I have gone back to my SpeedFeed stock (for now), but I still have the Knoxx grip for if/when I want to switch back.
Also, how did you get one that came with an install tool? I had to supply my own allen wrench. :rofl:

JFrame
08-01-2010, 07:57
Also, how did you get one that came with an install tool? I had to supply my own allen wrench. :rofl:

That's really odd -- both of my SpecOps stocks came with a long Allen wrench...I'm developing quite a collection of Allen wrenches in that size... :supergrin:

unit1069
08-01-2010, 08:01
Shoot the heck out of it. I was running 1oz Super X slugs one handed with mine with no problems. I have gone back to my SpeedFeed stock (for now), but I still have the Knoxx grip for if/when I want to switch back.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just wade in and see how it performs with the strong loads.

The tool came in a slot on the bottom of the package I picked up at MidwayUSA when I was going through the area that day. It's a long wrench with a ball-type end that fit the Mossberg nut on the gun and the nut that came with the new system. Long enough to fit all the way through the hole in the stock when the adjustable stock is fully compressed. I had to use my channel locks to apply enough force to seat the unit all the way onto the receiver but not so much that I was in any danger of stripping anything or damaging something. I'm not mechanically inclined and this swap-out was much easier than I imagined, thanks to the wrench that came in the package.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=974135

MidwayUSA's web site says "Knoxx" but the package is a Blackhawk product featuring "Knoxx recoil reducing technology", etc. I was a bit apprehensive at first thinking that I might have gotten the wrong system but from the looks of everything this is the correct one.

WoodenPlank
08-01-2010, 08:01
That's really odd -- both of my SpecOps stocks came with a long Allen wrench...I'm developing quite a collection of Allen wrenches in that size... :supergrin:

Mine came with no such animal. Sucked, too, because I can see how a ball-ended allen wrench can make like a LOT easier putting one on.

gnasty1521
08-01-2010, 17:42
Mine came with the allen wrench which is spoken of. The forend will not work with the Maverick 88 because there is no slide tube, but instead a full plastic piece with the arms molded into the plastic. Sorry to highjack but, there are options...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t192/NcGangsta/Stephen/DSC02713.jpg

unit1069
08-01-2010, 19:32
The forend will not work with the Maverick 88 because there is no slide tube, but instead a full plastic piece with the arms molded into the plastic.

Thanks for that info. I wasn't planning on putting the forend piece on and instead will probably put a strip of nylon for a more secure grip. I did want to know if it would fit or not.

gnasty1521
08-01-2010, 19:39
Keep in mind that some Mossberg 500's also came with this plastic tube and not an actual slide tube w castle nut for interchangable forearms. Either way both are great guns!

ranger1968
08-01-2010, 19:45
I have 2 Knoxx stocks; and over the top folder and a the standard look rubber overmold, both on 870s.

Both stocks work well, and reduce the recoil considerably, allowing for faster and more accurate followup shots.

What I did notice about them was that they both took 30-40 rounds to "work in". prior to that, they were very stiff, and the recoil reduction was slight, of any. After, they were , and are, great.....

Blitzer
08-01-2010, 20:59

Mossberd has two lengths of fore grip metal shells the grip goes over. The instruction booklet covers the topic. You will need to go to a gun shop and get a spnner wrench. The Knoxx stock I got didn't come with one. :steamed:

gnepig
08-02-2010, 10:13
Mossberd has two lengths of fore grip metal shells the grip goes over. The instruction booklet covers the topic. You will need to go to a gun shop and get a spnner wrench. The Knoxx stock I got didn't come with one. :steamed:

Yup, they don't come with that tool, so I used the o'l screwdriver and hammer method (like a chissel). Got it off and on just fine that way, but desided to use the original forgrip anyway. The Knoxx forgrip felt too funky (to me) and it was heavier than the stock one.

I put the medium sized Linbsaver butt pad on it just like in gnasty's picture= I bet that'll work.... Thanx for the tip.

Still need to figure out how to drop the stock some so we can aim and shoot without getting kicked in the face...

gnepig
08-04-2010, 20:14
Is this what I'm lookin for?:
http://www.mossberg.com/cgi-bin/commerce.exe?preadd=action&key=95091&reference=/cgi-bin/commerce.exe%3Fsearch%3Daction%26keywords%3D%26searchstart%3D0%26template%3DPDGCommTemplates\MossPdg Nav\SearchResult.html%26category%3DSTOC

What do these do/ how do they work? And will it drop the stock enough to see the bead without touching the stock with my face?

gnasty1521
08-05-2010, 15:21
They should. With that said, it just takes practice to look at the bead without having cheek touching stock. Took a bit, but I got it down and it works great. The time I shot with the stock, I only had the hard rubber on there, but figured what the hell, I got the slip on pad but I wonder... Yep it worked, and it's great. call me what you will but it actually feels good to shoot anything out of my Maverick now.

JFrame
08-05-2010, 15:25
I'm glad this is the thread that just keeps on tickin'... :cool:

I put a new SpecOps stock on my NEF Pardner a couple of days ago -- am looking forward to trying it out... :)

unit1069
08-07-2010, 22:14
I shot my Mossberg Maverick 88 tonight for the first time since putting on the Blackhawk-Knoxx reduced recoil stock. Everything seems to work fine.

I put 2 #9 birdshot, 15 #6 birdshot, and 6 #4 buckshot through it. Recoil was very managable for someone like me not used to shooting a 12 gauge short barrel shotgun.

The buckshot was noticeably stronger but my shoulder had no pain, soreness, or bruise of any kind so I'm sure the spring recoil system must be working fine. There's definitely more control with the stock than with pistol grip only, without any punishment to the trigger hand whatsoever. It was actually kind of fun and I have a newfound respect for the power of a 12 gauge. I imagine the #6 birdshot would stop someone in their tracks.

I kept my cheek off the stock and raised the barrel to where I had a pretty good approximation of where to aim. The range I went to had the target stands up about 35-40 yards away (state conservation dept. outdoor range) and with the birdshot I couldn't tell where the shot hit, but with the buckshot plumes of dust rose right behind the old targets someone had left and where I was aiming so at that distance I was hitting just about right. I need to get this rig back out again and put up some of my own targets to get a feel for getting the aim right.

No doubt I made a good purchase with this stock, and it's adjustable.

WoodenPlank
08-08-2010, 07:49
I imagine the #6 birdshot would stop someone in their tracks.

At contact range, and that is about it. I don't know about you, but I have no intention of getting that close to a BG in my house.

To steal a line from The Box O' Truth:
Birdshot is for birds, buckshot is for bad guys.

TRguy
08-08-2010, 22:07
what they say about the Knoxx Stocks are 100% true. Love em

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj131/TRguy/Guns/Mossberg500withKnoxxSpecOpsstock8-10.jpg

aippi
08-09-2010, 00:36
BlacK Hawk added the ball end wrench when they redesigned the packaging. This was about a year or so after they bought Knoxx out. Before this the wrench did not come with the stock.

ctfireman
08-17-2010, 19:20
I have to disagree, i feel like mines reduces felt recoil greatly.

gnasty1521
08-17-2010, 20:05
Just took mine to the grand opening of a range/ gun store in Weatherford, TX. Everyone we let try was scared to shoot the 12 guage saying "OOOh, you are in for a hurting!"

After they shot it they were saying "OOOh, I gotta get one of these!"

I even had one of the sales girls try it out, 5'3" and 125lbs. and yes, good looking (for those of you who care).

She was extremely intimidated, but shot the shotgun perfect and was more excited to shoot it, the more she got used to it.

THE ULTIMATE TEST....