What Did I Do To My Mac Mini To Make The Monitor Not Work? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What Did I Do To My Mac Mini To Make The Monitor Not Work?

wavetrain75
07-13-2010, 06:32
I have a new Mac Mini with a PC keyboard and a monitor with a VGA plug. I had to get some files off the old PC so I took the above hardware off the mac for a couple days.

Turns out I hadn't turned off the mac, it was just in sleep mode when I disconnected everything. When reconnected to the Mac, the keyboard and mouse are fine but the monitor gives me the message "Not Connected, Going To Power Save." It is connected through a VGA adapter, the same setup that was working previously, but now simply goes to power save and shuts off.

I've done a couple hard shutdowns with no improvement. I do not know enough apple hotkeys (especially on a PC keyboard) to do much of anything meaningful that may get it to recognize the monitor.

Advice appreciated.

IndyGunFreak
07-13-2010, 07:49
Do you get any display before OS boots? A boot screen when you first turn the machine on, etc... or does it work fine until the OS gets ready to load, then goes into Power Save?

IGF

GIockGuy24
07-13-2010, 11:51
Unplug everything, including A/C power. Press and hold for some seconds the power button on the computer.

wavetrain75
07-13-2010, 17:50
Do you get any display before OS boots? A boot screen when you first turn the machine on, etc... or does it work fine until the OS gets ready to load, then goes into Power Save?

IGF

Nothing. I get no signal to the monitor at any time. When I manually turn on the monitor the message says that it is not connected and it switches to power save. It acts like it's not connected to the computer at all, except that it is.

...Press and hold for some seconds the power button on the computer.

I'll try that and get back to you. I've done a couple hard restarts (don't especially like to) with no improvement.

GIockGuy24
07-13-2010, 23:10
I mean press and hold the power button with no power hooked up. with it off and no cables hooked up, including disconnecting the power cable.

wavetrain75
07-14-2010, 06:06
I did a hard shutdown and plugged in a borrowed monitor. It started normally so I did a proper shutdown and plugged my monitor back in. And it worked. So it lookes like I'm ok. Thanks.