Help me decide [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide

wtjg21
07-13-2010, 06:40
I am looking at a brand new Colt series 70 and a slightly used Springfield TRP. Both can be bought for the same price. The Colt is stainless and the springfield is Armory Kote. The Springfield looks brand new. This will be an everyday carry. Which one would you get?

Jim S.
07-13-2010, 07:49
I personally would go with the Springfield.
It's already "fixed" up and the Colt isn't.
Springfield's customer service is first class.
Not sure of Colt's anymore.

CMG
07-13-2010, 07:55
I'd opt for the TRP as well.

I don't really enjoy shooting a pistol with a standard grip safety anymore.

Tactical black
07-13-2010, 08:37
I would go with the trp as well that's a great out of the box gun.

brzusa.1911
07-13-2010, 09:09
My vote goes for TRP as well! Unless you really want to have a Colt. I will one day buy another Colt and send it off to a good gunsmith to have a reliability package, dehorn for carry...

Tactical black
07-13-2010, 09:14
My vote goes for TRP as well! Unless you really want to have a Colt. I will one day buy another Colt and send it off to a good gunsmith to have a reliability package, dehorn for carry...

Colt make great base guns for exactly what you described but it will cost you more by the time your done but probably worth it if you have the money and the time.

KillStick
07-13-2010, 09:16
I would go for the springer, I just dealt with their CS and they are top notch.

trickyvic
07-13-2010, 09:53
Another vote for the TRP here.

ArmoryDoc
07-13-2010, 10:06
The TRP is a very nice gun. If the price is in line then grab it.

Cerebrus
07-13-2010, 10:23
Go with the TRP.. I have a feeling you will not be disappointed

Jim S.
07-13-2010, 10:23
I have a few original series 70 Colts and they are ok base guns but really nothing special.
I've always felt the name was most of the value and the price.
I like the Springers. About the same amount of tweaking and they are just as good as the Colts I have.
(all base models)

wtjg21
07-13-2010, 10:37
Thanks for the responses. I was leaning towards the Springfield and now I am sure. Going to get it TODAY.

brzusa.1911
07-13-2010, 12:27
Colt make great base guns for exactly what you described but it will cost you more by the time your done but probably worth it if you have the money and the time.

Yes, that is exactly my thought!

glock2740
07-13-2010, 12:29
TRP hands down.

Tactical black
07-13-2010, 12:34
Thanks for the responses. I was leaning towards the Springfield and now I am sure. Going to get it TODAY.

Awesome choice post some picture when you get it. :cool::wavey:

bac1023
07-13-2010, 18:42
I am looking at a brand new Colt series 70 and a slightly used Springfield TRP. Both can be bought for the same price. The Colt is stainless and the springfield is Armory Kote. The Springfield looks brand new. This will be an everyday carry. Which one would you get?

For shooting out of the box and carry, go with the TRP for sure. That said, it is a heavy 1911.

dakrat
07-13-2010, 19:29
have you held and shoot a 1911 with a 20 LPI front strap checkering? I suggest you hold one first before you buy. to some people 20 LPI is a little aggresive.

Hokie1911
07-13-2010, 19:45
have you held and shoot a 1911 with a 20 LPI front strap checkering? I suggest you hold one first before you buy. to some people 20 LPI is a little aggresive.

Yep. A few weeks ago, I shot Quack's KobraCarry, Remington, TRP, EMP, and STI. Several magazines through each. The TRP was easily my least favorite of the bunch. Just didn't care for the feel of it.

dakrat
07-13-2010, 20:46
Yep. A few weeks ago, I shot Quack's KobraCarry, Remington, TRP, EMP, and STI. Several magazines through each. The TRP was easily my least favorite of the bunch. Just didn't care for the feel of it.

I like the package and how it looks. but damn.. those suckers are sharp

samuse
07-13-2010, 21:19
Well I'm gonna be different. As long as the Colt doesn't exhibit any of their usual cosmetic flaws (hammer rub, backwards slide serrations, off center spring plug hole, slide flats uneven etc) I'd go with the Colt. I like the classic looks of it better and hammer bite doesn't happen to me. Much. I do not like the magwell, ILS, rear tritium sights, ambi safety, guide rod, grips, front serrations and most of all TACTICAL stamped on the dustcover. Not to mention the Colt has a 45 firing pin and standard weight springs. I think the Colt would be a better gun for long-term ownership because it is something that you can build later if you want to. But if hammer bite is not a problem for you, you could have it dehorned and add an aluminum trigger and a trigger job with a Harrison retro rear sight or a 10-8 NM rear with a dovetailed front. That would make for a damn nice lookin' gun that will functionally hang with anything out there. JMO, but I like classic lookin' 1911s. Here's my Colt 1991. 10-8 NM rear, Novak gold bead front, Ed Brown MSH, Harrison trigger, Colt dehorn and frontstrap serrations. I don't know what it'll do from a rest, but at speed, I'd put it up against a TRP or any 1911 out there. (and yes, the firing pin safety is intact and functional)
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab76/sammuse/sss/WindowsPhotoGalleryWallpaper.jpg?t=1279077471

Morris
07-18-2010, 17:10

Yeah, it is. I used to have issues with it but after some hand slipping, I realized why the 20s were good and why I valued the new pattern on the Glock Gen4s so much: much easier to grip when my hands are wet or slippery.

But yeah, they can be a bit of a cheese grinder. Some have just knocked the points off.