Camp recipes/foods [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Camp recipes/foods

Turbodreams
07-13-2010, 11:47
Im going to be going backpacking in August. Looking for some easy recipes to make with foods that are very light in my pack.

No car around, all my food/gear will be in my pack or my hands.

Recipes with rice/beans. Im thinking maybe some powdered eggs. Might even pick up a few of those Backpackers pantry or Mountain House meals too.

Ideas?

DR. HOUSE
07-14-2010, 13:53
hmm, kinda hard with not much gear.

Turbodreams
07-14-2010, 16:25
hmm, kinda hard with not much gear.

I have a decent pot/pan mess kit setup and and rack to cook over the fire. Also a small propane single burner. All of which are light and fit in my pack with everything else.

I dont plan on bringing a cooler, at most one of those insulated lunch bags but probably not even that.

mitchshrader
07-14-2010, 18:16
Nuts & nut butters are nutritionally dense. I don't find any particular saving of weight for the first couple days that prevents using canned food. The liquid saves water use, and the net loss is the weight of several cans. They can sometimes be recycled into utility, or buried close to food bearing plants.

Parboiled/instant rice cooks fast, + 12 oz canned chicken or beef + spices = a huge meal or a medium meal for 2. You can build a meal around instant mashed potatoes and canned beef, soup mixes, parboiled rice, rice-a roni, etc etc. There's no need to commit to every meal being freeze dried unless you're burning excess money, and the first couple days worth of canned goods is self correcting. Depending on circumstances, and dependents and minors, I'd figure freeze dried 1/3 to 2/3 of the total on a weeks trek.

With luxury granola to fill in the cracks, and some instant meal beverage packs..there ARE affordable alternatives to commercial meals. Just don't make the mistake of thinking you have to eat the same thing the first 2 or 3 days as you will later.

Turbodreams
07-14-2010, 18:47
Nuts & nut butters are nutritionally dense. I don't find any particular saving of weight for the first couple days that prevents using canned food. The liquid saves water use, and the net loss is the weight of several cans. They can sometimes be recycled into utility, or buried close to food bearing plants.

Parboiled/instant rice cooks fast, + 12 oz canned chicken or beef + spices = a huge meal or a medium meal for 2. You can build a meal around instant mashed potatoes and canned beef, soup mixes, parboiled rice, rice-a roni, etc etc. There's no need to commit to every meal being freeze dried unless you're burning excess money, and the first couple days worth of canned goods is self correcting. Depending on circumstances, and dependents and minors, I'd figure freeze dried 1/3 to 2/3 of the total on a weeks trek.

With luxury granola to fill in the cracks, and some instant meal beverage packs..there ARE affordable alternatives to commercial meals. Just don't make the mistake of thinking you have to eat the same thing the first 2 or 3 days as you will later.Good advice.

Im going for 4 nights/5 days. Either just myself, or with 1 maybe 2 friends. Weve all agreed to trek in our own supplies. If they come, I think at most 2-3 of the dinner/supper meals will be communal. As we all have vastly differing tastes in food. Myself, I can eat just about anything as long as theres either some hot sauce or bbq sauce. And I def plan on bring a small bottle of tobasco.

IndyGunFreak
07-15-2010, 11:37
While not a recipe... ramen noodles? They aren't my favorite, but they are super light, and boil up quick. Hot sauce fixes their lack of taste.

IGF

stevelyn
07-17-2010, 08:09
SPAM.....................On a stick.

noway
07-17-2010, 15:42
Processed can goods or dried meat & fruits would be my pick. Anything not died or canned would survived 4-5 nights without being refrigerated. You can pack alot of process and dried good with a capacity saving great than other goods and don't need pot or pan or other items to server it.

just my thought.

Also just as important is water, Aug in most areas are hot. If you don't have water, your outback hike could be bad or plain right dangerous.

just my 2cts

Turbodreams
07-17-2010, 20:56
Processed can goods or dried meat & fruits would be my pick. Anything not died or canned would survived 4-5 nights without being refrigerated. You can pack alot of process and dried good with a capacity saving great than other goods and don't need pot or pan or other items to server it.

just my thought.

Also just as important is water, Aug in most areas are hot. If you don't have water, your outback hike could be bad or plain right dangerous.

just my 2ctsIm planning on bringing 2-3 gallons of bottled water for drinking throughout the few days, plus 2 Kleen Kanteens for the hike in, which isnt so bad as Ive done it before. And Theres also a very nice clean mountain stream at the bottom of the hill for me to get water, purify it and use for cooking/cleaning.

DR. HOUSE
07-18-2010, 13:50
Im planning on bringing 2-3 gallons of bottled water for drinking throughout the few days, plus 2 Kleen Kanteens for the hike in, which isnt so bad as Ive done it before. And Theres also a very nice clean mountain stream at the bottom of the hill for me to get water, purify it and use for cooking/cleaning.

24 lbs of water is a lot of weight to hike with IMOP.

Turbodreams
07-18-2010, 15:09
24 lbs of water is a lot of weight to hike with IMOP.

With full gear the pack is about 70lbs. Ive used it before at that weight, it is tough but doable. Ive already got my spot picked out, its about a 25minute hike into the area where Ill be. If need be, Ill rest every 5.

vafish
07-18-2010, 19:54
With full gear the pack is about 70lbs. Ive used it before at that weight, it is tough but doable. Ive already got my spot picked out, its about a 25minute hike into the area where Ill be. If need be, Ill rest every 5.

Well a 25 minute hike isn't really my idea of backpacking, usually do 6 or more miles a day. So I really like the freeze dried foods. Also like to carry a water filter instead of lots of water. I like to keep pack weight in the 35-40 lb weight range.

noway
07-19-2010, 11:28
OP, have you looked at the personal waters filtration devices? Could save you some weight and hassle with water.

I personally don't like carrying more than 3L of water in one container and if you have water in the area ( check ahead ), they going with maybe camelback with one or 2 spare containers and a purification system could be the way to go.

But it's better to be safe than sorry.

Turbodreams
07-19-2010, 13:54
Well a 25 minute hike isn't really my idea of backpacking, usually do 6 or more miles a day. So I really like the freeze dried foods. Also like to carry a water filter instead of lots of water. I like to keep pack weight in the 35-40 lb weight range.Its more of just camping then backpacking. Im huffing my stuff up a trail to the top of a local mountain, then a little ways back from the cliff face and setting up camp there for 4 nights.

OP, have you looked at the personal waters filtration devices? Could save you some weight and hassle with water.

I personally don't like carrying more than 3L of water in one container and if you have water in the area ( check ahead ), they going with maybe camelback with one or 2 spare containers and a purification system could be the way to go.

But it's better to be safe than sorry.Yea, but theyre more expensive then what I wanna spend. My budget is kinda low but Im going to make due. There is a local stream at the bottom of the mountain that I will be collecting water from and using water purifier tabs in it to cook/clean/wash up with.

vafish
07-20-2010, 09:08
The freeze dried meals are real convenient. Now days most of them you just pour boiling water into the package, wait 5 minutes and eat right out of the packaging.

But if you are looking for simpler and cheaper meals, macaroni and cheese with either tuna fish or spam are easy to prepare. PBJ sandwiches for lunch, using some sort of tortilla or pita bread is better then crushed loaves of bread in a pack.

Lots of canned meats or fish available, if you want mayo use the little individual packs it won't go bad on you. Many sausages and cheeses can be kept for several days without refrigeration.

Granola bars and trail mix are good source of calories as well.