want to carry a certain load, but can't? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : want to carry a certain load, but can't?

roar
07-13-2010, 14:31
Does anyone else ever have this conundrum? I want to carry some of Buffalo Bore's FBI load in my 442, but I just can't make that decision based on my personal needs.

I know that the Buffalo Bore 158 grain +p LSWCHP is probably the nastiest round you can carry in a snubby .38, yet it doesn't make sense for me personally. The recoil was pretty damn bad, and personally it felt like it almost broke my gun, even though I know it didn't.

I know that I could probably get better with that load if I shot it more, but the easier to manage recoil and quicker follow up shots means that for the foreseeable future I will probably continue to carry the Speer short barrel Gold Dot.

In my mind I am just a big fan of the numbers that the FBI load produces, and the wallop it packs.

Curious to hear if anyone else suffers from this dilemma of sorts, and what their particular loads are.

Not looking for advice; I just want to see what loads people are interested in but choose to not carry!

HydraShok
07-13-2010, 15:19
You could always carry the Speer Short barrel as the first four rounds, and the Buffalo Bore as the final round. That way, if you need all 5, the last one will pack more oomph and the extra recoil won't affect any follow up rounds. Also the extra recoil (if you notice it in the heat of battle) will remind you that your gun is empty.

roar
07-13-2010, 15:33
You are right, I could. I have thought about it, but mixing loads isn't really my thing.

I am not looking for someone to convince me to give the FBI load another try, as I have already made my current decision. I am just curious about whether other people have the same situation, and what their loads are. Purely for entertainment and curiosity.

CanyonMan
07-13-2010, 15:45
Does anyone else ever have this conundrum? I want to carry some of Buffalo Bore's FBI load in my 442, but I just can't make that decision based on my personal needs.

I know that the Buffalo Bore 158 grain +p LSWCHP is probably the nastiest round you can carry in a snubby .38, yet it doesn't make sense for me personally. The recoil was pretty damn bad, and personally it felt like it almost broke my gun, even though I know it didn't.

I know that I could probably get better with that load if I shot it more, but the easier to manage recoil and quicker follow up shots means that for the foreseeable future I will probably continue to carry the Speer short barrel Gold Dot.

In my mind I am just a big fan of the numbers that the FBI load produces, and the wallop it packs.

Curious to hear if anyone else suffers from this dilemma of sorts, and what their particular loads are.

Although I "do not" , as you say here, "suffer from the same dilemma" as you.

If the recoil bothers you and or the gun, then by all means switch to something else. Hornady XTP would be where I would head to next over the GD load. The XTP is going to give you more penetration than the GD (generally).

I have small 357mags and fill them with full house loads, usually my own reloads that are screaming. Recoil is a subjective thing. I really like the looks of the BB offering you are asking about, and it is a very good round and nasty to boot !

BUT, I think you answerd your own question hoss in your second sentence...

With the obvious lack of confidence you already have here, and concern/s, good round or not, it is worthless if your recoil sencitive and perhaps worried about your weapon. I know we really do not notice recoil when firing in a SD senerio, or say a big caliber rifle fired at game. The recoil goes away. BUT I have seen folks who for some reason cannot get over how it is "about to feel," so the hesitate, jerk, flinch, or worry! et.

If this is you, then I would let it go. The 1,000fps BB says it gets are coming out of test guns (most much heaiver than yours). Punch/ Yes. Again, if it does bother you I 'suggest' the Hornady 158gr or 125 gr that will get you back down to 800/900fps, and still have a good XTP bulet workin for ya.

Perhaps others here will have better info for ya, but this is my 02. ;)

Good luck.

CM

High Altitude
07-13-2010, 15:50
I carry 135 gr +P gold dot short barrel in my 642. My local shop stocks it so I can grab a box when needed, which isn't that often. I never buy SD ammo in 20rnd boxes but since it is a 5 shot, and testing reliability is easy, I don't mind doing it in this case.

roar
07-13-2010, 15:51
Ack, once again, I am not in any way looking for advice. I can shoot the Buffalo Bore as accurately as any other load, I just feel that it hurts quite a bit compared to my Gold Dots. I can shoot the Gold Dots fairly fast[er] as well, despite them also having a bit of a kick.

I have a feeling I am going to continue to receive advice on trying out this or that load, or how I can shoot better (shooting well isn't my problem). No offense to either of you intended at all.

*I am more than happy with my Gold Dot short barrels for my 442*

The numbers for the Buffalo Bore load only make me think of the ability to turn my 442 into an even more evil nuclear-warhead launching *pocket* death cannon, which in my mind is fun.

edited to add:

I carry 135 gr +P gold dot short barrel in my 642. My local shop stocks it so I can grab a box when needed, which isn't that often. I never buy SD ammo in 20rnd boxes but since it is a 5 shot, and testing reliability is easy, I don't mind doing it in this case.

I feel the exact same way regarding box quantity. Speaking of which, have you ever laid out all 20 rounds side by side in a line? Makes them look a lot more than 20, compared to being situated in that square box. Kind of fun.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r260/cheeselbucket/84126281.jpg

CanyonMan
07-13-2010, 16:07
Man you came to the wrong place if you "ain't looking for advice." :supergrin:

Perhaps you should re-word your first post ? ;)

Glad your settled on what you want.

CM

roar
07-13-2010, 16:13
Man you came to the wrong place if you "ain't looking for advice." :supergrin:

Perhaps you should re-word your first post ? ;)

Glad your settled on what you want.

CM

You are right. I clarified the original post a little bit.

fredj338
07-13-2010, 20:40
IMO, if you are not comfortable w/ the load, don't carry it. There are no magic bullets or loads. I would be happy w/ the std FBI load form win or rem. The BB load is quite a bit faster than the original FBI load. If you shoot the GD better, carry those. You say you shoot both the same, but obviously something is bothering you about the BB load. You know they make two diff 158grSWCHP loads? The +P is about 120fps faster than the Win or REm "FBI" load. The non +P BB load is rated 850fps, maybe just drop to that?

MrVvrroomm
07-13-2010, 21:35
The majority of my carry ammo is my own hand loads. I load them up near the top of the safe range.