Bulk pack JHP ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Bulk pack JHP ammo

snakeman
07-13-2010, 16:43
I am a former law enforcement officer and currently serve in the U.S. Army. I have a concealed carry permit and I carry a Glock 23. I am currently carrying 165 gr Gold Dots. I was at a local chain store the other day and noticed that they had 100 round bulk packs of JHP ammo. I was thinking of buying some to carry in my weapon but had second thoughts. I know the more expensive defense rounds have bonded bullets and all of that kind of stuff. Is there anything wrong with the cheaper hollow points for self defense? Thank you in advance.

snakeman

Mas Ayoob
07-13-2010, 20:44
It's critical to have at least a couple hundred jam-free rounds of the carry ammo through the gun so you know you can trust it. If bulk pack ammo is the only way that's possible in the current availability situation, it makes more sense to carry than a more dynamic, higher tech load with only one 20-round box available.

The generic JHP's are all "old tech," but many of them worked very well in "the old days," such as the WWB 230 grain JHP in .45 ACP. California Highway Patrol was happy with the performance of standard copper-jacketed lead JHP 180 grain subsonic .40, the general configuration of bulk-pack .40 JHP today.

Reliability is the number one non-negotiable priority in defensive ammo selection. If bulk pack is the only way that's possible due to availability and/or budget considerations, I'd say go for it.

best,
Mas