hidden Linksys problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : hidden Linksys problem

Generalcarry
07-13-2010, 18:21
I have the WRT546 wireless and haven't had any problems....till now. I bought my wife a new PC and when I try to hook it up, the computer cannot find the router. I named the router and can find it and hook up to it with her old laptop, but it seems to be hidden from the new one. I'm pretty sure I did something in security to hide it but I don't remember what.
I went into the router manually and added the Physical Address of the new PC and got nothing. I used the cable to hardwire the PC to the router because I thought that would run a cycle(?) and set the laptop up to run wireless...wrong.
Is there a way to find, rename and hook the new PC up (wireless), or do I have to erase the router (if that's possible) and start from scratch?
Thanks

JimmyN
07-13-2010, 21:52
It sounds to me like the problem is with the PC. Set the router to broadcast the SSID, and I think you already have when you say you named it and can see it with her old laptop. The SSID is just a radio signal identifying the router, you can always pick it up if it's being broadcast, even if you can't connect to it. If the router is broadcasting the SSID and you can't see it on the PC then the problem is likely on the PC end. Weak signal, bad antenna, or something wrong in your network connection setup.

DustyJacket
07-13-2010, 21:56
Also, if you set the router to filter (block) MAC addresses, you need to either enter the new PC's MAC, or turn off filtering and connect, add the MAC then turn filtering back on.

srhoades
07-13-2010, 23:45
Is it picking up any other wireless networks? Perhaps the wireless is just turned off on the laptop? There is usually a switch or a FN key combination to turn it on and off.

TheRogue
07-14-2010, 00:00
It sounds to me like the problem is with the PC. Set the router to broadcast the SSID,...
I have this particular router, and agree with this posting.

Check under the router's "Wireless" tab, and "Enable" the SSID broadcast.

Generalcarry
07-14-2010, 09:03
Thank You all! I tried most of the tips from above and finally was able to connect to the Internet. I think what may have done it was broadcasting the SSID. If I wasn't broadcast it before, can I ruturn to not broadcasting it?

Sgt. Schultz
07-14-2010, 09:49
If I wasn't broadcast it before, can I ruturn to not broadcasting it?Yes, for added security you should change the default router password and SSID, then setup WPA, disable the SSID broadcast and enable MAC address filtering.

JimmyN
07-14-2010, 10:49
Like Sarge said definitely change the default password, as it's no great secret that the password is 'admin' for the WRT546, and change the default SSID so it won't be obvious what router it is when broadcasting.

Turning broadcast off is security by obscurity, which is not much in itself, but every little bit helps and it certainly can't hurt. Your goal is to make it harder to get into your network than one of your neighbors.

Generalcarry
07-14-2010, 18:29
Thanks all, I have that puppy tighter than a drum....... hopefully!

RockyMtnScotsman
07-14-2010, 19:21
I like Linksys routers better than any other brand I've used

- BUT -

By a wide margin, the single best improvement you can make to them is to convert the firmware to DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions).

dotsun
07-14-2010, 19:59
Like Sarge said definitely change the default password, as it's no great secret that the password is 'admin' for the WRT546, and change the default SSID so it won't be obvious what router it is when broadcasting.

Turning broadcast off is security by obscurity, which is not much in itself, but every little bit helps and it certainly can't hurt. Your goal is to make it harder to get into your network than one of your neighbors.

The real reason to change the SSID to something unique is so you're not susceptible to a rainbow table attack. Whatever else you do besides that and use wpa2 with a long and complicated password is immaterial.

srhoades
07-14-2010, 20:35
I like Linksys routers better than any other brand I've used

- BUT -

By a wide margin, the single best improvement you can make to them is to convert the firmware to DD-WRT (http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#File_Versions).

I used to love linksys routers, but since Cisco is migrating to those black boxes with the internal antennas they suck. The signal blows and they are very unreliable. I've had 2 DOA.

RockyMtnScotsman
07-14-2010, 21:48
I used to love linksys routers, but since Cisco is migrating to those black boxes with the internal antennas they suck. The signal blows and they are very unreliable. I've had 2 DOA.

That's what I'm using (black box, internal antenna) and with stock firmware I agree with you.

The DD-WRT firmware gives you a ton more control settings including boosting the transmission gain. My stability has been rock solid since I converted. I used to have to reboot my router a couple times per day, but never do since DD-WRT.

YMMV but it's been a fantastic change for me.