Meprolights rusting? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Meprolights rusting?

04LS1GTO
07-13-2010, 21:57
Has anybody experienced Meprolight night sights rusting? I pulled my gun out of the plastic case for the first time in a few months a couple weeks ago and noticed that the Meps on it (especially the rear) had a significant amount of rust and pitting on it. I contacted meprolight in regards to this and was told that I should send them in and that I would probably receive a new set under warranty.

Needless to say, I did not get a new set because they said it was just surface rust and that it would not be covered under warranty. I am not so much upset that they rusted as I have since bought another set, but I am curious if anyone else has experienced the meprolights rusting. What can I do to prevent this? I don't typically oil the outside of my slide because it makes it slick, but I guess I'll have to start oiling it if thats what it takes to keep the sights from rusting.

Any insight would be great.

04LS1GTO
07-13-2010, 21:59
I will try and post pictures when I get the rusted sights back to show what they looked like. I have never seen night sights rust on any of my other guns. Especially since the Glock they were on just sits in a case under my bed.

pokey074
07-13-2010, 22:21
Seems to me that Trijicons and Meprolights are simply blued. Bluing is a rather poor finish when it comes to rust prevention. Yes, I have had steel night sights rust. Wiping the sights with a little oil and then drying them is, or should be, part of one's maintenance regimen.

jadams951
07-14-2010, 09:01
My trijicons do the same thing. Being they are on a carry gun and get exposed to the elements the rear sight will get slight rust and I make a point to put a few drops of oil on it fairly often

The Retired Sarge
07-16-2010, 05:53
For over 20 years I have used Meprolight NS under hard duty use with no rust what so ever. I clean the NS and the dots with a CLP, lately Weapon Shield. Wipe dry excess and the steel sights are protected. Bill

NM Mountainman
07-20-2010, 13:44
I ordered Mep adjustable sights for my G20 about 3 years ago from Optics Planet. When they arrived (NIB), they had light surface rust, mainly on the rear sight. A very light rubbing with superfine steel wool and a few drops of oil, quickly removed the rust. However, there was also some black coating that was there as part of the original black matte finish. I inadvertently removed some of the matte black while I was trying to remove the rust. In some areas, I was unable to distinguish the rust from the matte black. Now I leave a light coat of oil on the rear sight to prevent rust.

I started the same practice on my other handguns using Eezox as a rust preventative. It quickly removed the white outline paint on the rear sights of two of my revolvers. It has not affected the white dots on the Mep. rear sight because the dots are made of a plastic embedded in the sight.

DannyR
07-20-2010, 17:46
To my knowledge, all steel sights are subject to rust except for Glock factory night sights, which are Tenifer treated.

Mdot
07-22-2010, 19:46
Yeah, I had Meps that were rusting. I recently replaced them with Glock Steel Sights. The Glock Armorer even commented how rusted they were when he took them off.