mossberg 500 or remington 870 for HD [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 500 or remington 870 for HD

rome2240sw
07-14-2010, 08:54
as the title says im looking to purchase a new pump action shotgun for home defense. I was wondering which would be better, the pistol grip mossberg 500 or the Remington 870? they both feel great in my hands but i want to know which requires less maintenance and will last the longest..

TECH51
07-14-2010, 09:02
Can't go wrong with ether one of them. 50% will say Remington and 50% will be for the Mossberg.

JBnTX
07-14-2010, 11:01
Can't go wrong with ether one of them. 50% will say Remington and 50% will be for the Mossberg.

+1. Either one is perfect for HD.

I'll get flamed for this by the tacticool crowd, but here goes:

Forget the pistol grip. Nothing is more useless on a 12ga shotgun than a
pistol grip.

(By pistol grip, I mean a pistol grip by itself, not one used with a shoulder
stock. A pistol grip/shoulder stock combination is the best of both worlds.)

You stand a much better chance of hitting the target if you aim.

mixflip
07-14-2010, 11:16
Ooh this subject again! I always love this one. I was wondering when it was going to pop up? It has been a while.

Simple answer. Both are perfect for HD. It boil down to personal preference. Lefties love the ambi safety on the Mossberg 500 and cops love the 870 for its commonality between what they use at work with what they use at home.

I personally like...

The Mossbergs shell carrier setup, how it tucks up and away from bitting my thumb like my Remington used to do when loading.

The Mossbergs dual extractors!!!

The Remingtons slide release button (where its positioned). I have accidentally hit the slide release a few times, causing a FTF on my Mossberg when shooting it from non-traditional positions. The Remingtons button is well out of the way in front of the trigger guard.

The Remingtons fit & finnish is more refined.

The Mossberg has a light weight aluminum receiver and the Remington has a rugged old school steel receiver. (one is not better than the other for HD)

That being said...my Benelli SuperNova Tactical is better than both my Mossberg & Remington (for me personally). The only down side is that Benelli's are expensive.

Figure out what features you like and go from there. You may have to go to the gun store or a borrow a friends shotgun or go to a range and rent some shotguns to do a little gun fondling lol?

WoodenPlank
07-14-2010, 13:04
Even though it does not work well for everyone, I have discovered I am still a pretty darn good shot with my pistol-grip equipped 590 at typical HD distances. Anywhere from contact to about 15 yards I can hit COM from the hip every time, using either buckshot or slug, and the reduced overall length makes it a LOT easier for me to navigate the narrow doorways in my apartment.

wonderwolf
07-14-2010, 13:56
single shot NEF 12ga? just to be different

I got both the 500 and 870, they are on the same level imho

bullw
07-14-2010, 15:59
Six of one, half a dozen of ther other. Find the best deal and go with it. Can't go wrong with a 500 or 870...

Dozerdog
07-14-2010, 19:15
Get both and put each in a strategic location in the house. Full magazine, empty chamber. I have both, but the Mossberg is for hunting and the 870 is set up tactical.

CTfam
07-14-2010, 20:02
It comes down to controls locations. Pick the one that is more comfortable for you. I like the Mossbergs.

WoodenPlank
07-14-2010, 21:03
It comes down to controls locations. Pick the one that is more comfortable for you. I like the Mossbergs.

I am not a fan of the cross-bolt Remington safety, I prefer the top-mounted of the Mossberg. However, now that I use a pistol grip on my 590, it is near impossible to reach short of completely moving my right hand.

annieO09
07-14-2010, 21:32
Mossberg 500 100%

aippi
07-15-2010, 00:22
Over ten million gun buyers say Remington 870. Check out model 25077. It comes with an 18.5" bead sight barrel, Remington LE tube extension for a 6+1 capacity, Speedfeed LE forend and Remington Synthetic read stock. Best value on the market. Don't fall for the other tacti-fool models as that mess is not needed on a fighting shotgun.

MrMurphy
07-15-2010, 02:37
Apparently, using the search function has not occured to you, as this subject in the last six to seven years has been discussed approximately 9,304.5 times on this gunboard alone.

annieO09
07-15-2010, 07:15
But it is fun to :deadhorse: at times. Sometimes they do get up...:whistling:

:tongueout:

aippi
07-16-2010, 11:31
I does not matter how many times the question has been asked as there are new members who can add their perspective and comments on the subject. Members who have these models have now had them longer and can give input into how well they hold up as the weapons have more rounds through them. Others may have now found that they did like the model they had and switched over and be able to give the reasons why. So if a guy wants to ask something he should, no matter how many times it has been asked.

MrMurphy
07-16-2010, 19:19
Apparently, the idea of resurrecting an older thread that already has at least a dozen of the general questions answered requires too much mental work for some people.

Bill Lumberg
07-17-2010, 06:14
No notable difference, except where the safety is located. Whichever feels better to you will work fine, for damn near forever.

as the title says im looking to purchase a new pump action shotgun for home defense. I was wondering which would be better, the pistol grip mossberg 500 or the Remington 870? they both feel great in my hands but i want to know which requires less maintenance and will last the longest..

DHart
07-17-2010, 23:59
I agree with JD. To simply tell new folks to do a search turns a lively forum into a dead quiet LIBRARY. None of us wants that. And as JD mentioned, there's always a new twist or turn or comment from someone new which can be useful. Yes, this is the old Ford vs. Chevy debate recycled time and time again... but it's still an important conversation to keep going. We don't need a silent library here.

==================================

That said... the controls are the biggest difference, but you can become accustomed to working with either. And they are both equally "reliable" if you do YOUR part well. I have been a Mossberg fan for many years for these reasons:

1) Tang mounted thumb safety - my favorite by a long shot - easy to see and can be actuated without any movement of your firing hand or trigger finger.

2) The shell carrier resides in the up position allowing the clearest, easiest access to topping off the mag tube possible. BIG difference vs. 870.

3) The slide action release is positioned for instant and easy operation without requiring you to move the shooting hand whatsoever. I LIKE!

4) Dual extractors. If you should develop an extractor problem on an 870, you've got nothing to extract with. On a 500, TWO extractors. I LIKE!

5) Owner replaceable ejector on the 500. With an 870 you will probably need a gunsmith and possibly a refinish to replace the ejector.

6) All the internal parts in the 500 receiver come out quickly and easily (without tools!) for cleaning and user replacement if necessary. I LIKE!

The Mossberg 500 is an awesome shotgun, very reasonably priced, and is very popular as well.

All that said, I like the 870 and the Winchester 1300 also. I don't really have a favorite as I have all three and find that each of them possess features or qualities that neither of the other two possess. While the Mossberg has some major advantages as I listed above, I would feel equally well protected with an 870 or a 1300. In fact, I rely on all three on a daily/nightly basis!

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/MossChesterTon.jpg

Aceman
07-18-2010, 09:24
again - there just is no wrong answer to this question. Bottom line is both are rock solid long term well established performers. Can't make a bad decision.

You'll learn to use either well very quickly. Only if you shoot both regulalrly/often will you really be able to make a well informed choice based on your preferences.

I like Mossberg, because it's what I have. I have it because of the price at the time of purchase.

I will agree also - NO pistol grip only guns. Not saying it can't be done...just saying in general sholder braced aimed fire is generally superior approach.

But you can deck either gun out with any and every accessory you have ever seen on any shotgun. Not that an Express or a Maverick 88 don't both work perfectly out of the box.

sharpblade
07-18-2010, 12:35

rome2240sw, I think you have asked a very valid question. You will have to overlook the guys that are only intent on bashing one's post.

Aceman
07-18-2010, 12:54
They require equal amounts of maintanence - very little.
They will both last equally long - a very very long time.

Well - was that helpful. I repeat, buy the cheapest or flip a coin.

rome2240sw
07-18-2010, 21:11
rome2240sw, I think you have asked a very valid question. You will have to overlook the guys that are only intent on bashing one's post.

thanks for your concern. And i do over look them and i do thank the ones who have gave me great info helping me on my decision. Only because i have shot one before i think im gonna go with the mossberg 500. A friend of mine has one with both the pistol grip and the normal polymer stock for $300

rome2240sw
07-18-2010, 21:15
The Mossberg has a light weight aluminum receiver and the Remington has a rugged old school steel receiver. (one is not better than the other for HD)

one of the reasons i was weary of the mossberg 500 vs the remington 870. I was feeling the 870 would handle better when it came to recoil. but the 'berg is indeed lighter. held them both at hand and only shot a mossberg pistol grip pump with the vents/heat guard on the top.

DHart
07-18-2010, 21:25
I've got both guns in 18.5" versions and don't really notice any differences in felt recoil.

As for the alloy receiver... most of the finest shotguns from the major builders use alloy receivers... nothing wrong with that at all! A receiver is not subjected to any stresses that necessitate steel. Alloy works just fine for receivers so have no worries about that.

rome2240sw
07-18-2010, 21:48
thanks Dhart... so i now know the mossberg 500 it is. As far as acceccories go i may want a sling or side holder for mounting extra shells..

TECH51
07-18-2010, 22:04
If you have a friend'(s) that have a 870 or 500 you can shoot to find out what you like. That would be the way to go.

DHart
07-18-2010, 22:20
Go easy on accessories... the common tendency is to go out and buy a bunch of stuff to hang all over the gun and make a lot of changes to stocks, etc. I would recommend that you keep the gun stock and shoot it like that for awhile. The best and the brightest shotgun trainers will generally advise that you not pile a bunch of stuff on your gun... it will add weight, complexity, possibly make the gun less easy to handle quickly, possibly reduce maneuverability, and may well reduce your effectiveness with the gun, up to and including reduce reliability. If you're going to use the gun at night, a light may be advisable. But really, a box stock Mossberg 500 Persuader 6-shot with 18.5" barrel and bead front sight is ready to roll and makes a very well suited HD shotgun. If you're not a SWAT guy, don't hang with drug dealers, or aren't going into a war zone... and if your task is basic home defense, you are best served with a very simple, highly maneuverable shotgun.

OK, mine is no longer "box-stock"... because I prefer the feel and the look of solid hardwood vs. plastic. And I wanted a little shorter LOP to make shouldering and swinging a little quicker. But it took me about 14 years to decide that. ;)

http://i397.photobucket.com/albums/pp59/zmonki/Shotguns%20and%20RIfles/500_Out_R.jpg

High Altitude
07-18-2010, 22:47
What ever manual of arms you prefer, get that one.

I prefer the 870.

vafish
07-20-2010, 07:27
I have both the 870 and the 500.

I have more 500's then 870's and lately shoot the 500's more. I started getting 500's instead of 870's because I have a son that shoots left handed. The tang mounted safety on the 500 is much easier to manipulate left handed. But that safety location also makes it much harder to manipulate with a pistol grip.

If you are really stuck on having a pistol gripped shotgun the 870 is a much better option.

pmwglock19
07-22-2010, 17:07
I have shot both, but bought the 500 persuader to use in 3 gun and HD. As was said before, can't go wrong with either shotgun for hd.

Aceman
07-22-2010, 18:36
I have both the 870 and the 500.
But that safety location also makes it much harder to manipulate with a pistol grip.

I will just never get this. I pick up the gun, safety goes off. I put the gun down, safety goes on. At the range - I could care less where the safety was. something goes bump in the night - off is a non-issue.

Just me...

dc2integra
07-24-2010, 00:39
mossberg 500 has better internals IMO and u cant beat the price

DHart
07-24-2010, 01:23
mossberg 500 has better internals IMO and u cant beat the price

Ya know, the 870 is a legendary gun, but what you say here about the 500... I think you're right.

First and foremost... you get TWO extractors on the 500 bolt! TWO. One breaks, the other can still pull the shell out. Don't get that with the 870.

Next up, the ejector. If you break an ejector on the 500, you can replace it yourself with a screwdriver. With the 870 you will probably need a gunsmith... and possibly a refinish. Bummer.

And here's the heart of where you were going with that statement, the other internal parts on the 500... they ALL come right out when you disassemble for cleaning! Therefore, you can immediately and very easily replace any internal part in the 500 receiver... they are literally "drop-in". Not so with the 870.

Not that the 870 isn't a great gun. I love my new 870P with it's beautiful polished blued steel and walnut stock. But when it comes right down to comparing features... and controls positioning, I think the Mossberg 500 wins the crown! Both great guns. But from a practicality standpoint, it's really tough to argue against the 500. Fortunately, one can have and enjoy BOTH guns. But let's not forget the Winchester 1300... possibly my FAVORITE over both the 500 and the 870! ;)

Saleen
07-24-2010, 19:07
im in the exact same position. Trying to decide between the 870 express synthetic 7 round or the mossberg 500 persuader. I think i might go with the Mossberg because ive heard that the 870 express guns rust if you look at them wrong. The Mossberg's are blued, the express are only blasted black and supposedly why they rust so easy. That would be annoying if its true.

kenny g
07-25-2010, 00:20
I got the 500 with a 28" & 18.5" barrel. It was 279.00 2 years ago, a friend recently got an 870 express for about 340.00 one barrel. The express cannot be compaired to an old 870, and the 500 holds it own compaired to the ex. but consider the price and the 500 goes way ahead.