Federal Ammo [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Federal Ammo

sbrill
07-15-2010, 05:53
A friend of mine recently bought a G23. He is trying to get an internship with the DEA, so he has contacts that he talks to regularly in the DEA. Yesterday he was telling me about his conversation with the agent regarding Glocks (DEA uses G23s). Apparently this guy was telling him DO NOT USE FEDERAL AMMO, period. He said it is bad for Glocks. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? The guys said to use WWB, which i dont particularly like. I try to buy the cheap federal 180 at walmart. So whats the deal with this? Why would it be bad for a Glock?

HD_Renegade
07-15-2010, 05:58
I shoot the Fedral ammo thru all 4 of my Glocks, and I do not have any issues with it.

Hunng
07-15-2010, 05:59
I use federal champion ammo from walmart almost exclusively in my glocks...unless im shooting my carry loads...the DEA guy is full of you know what.

sbrill
07-15-2010, 06:06
Well thats what i figured. I just want to confirm. I know you cant shoot bare lead, but that stuff is fmj.

Thunderbolt56
07-15-2010, 06:32
The guy has a cousin that works for Winchester, Remington or CCI. I've run over 300 through my guns without a single issue. I've since gotten a great deal on some bulk American Eagle, but would still be shooting the Federal Champion if not.

filerunner
07-15-2010, 07:47
Maybe the guy was joking and meant FEDERAL GOV. ammo.:supergrin:

tampashooters
07-15-2010, 07:55
So right now he is still just "Mall Security"

Good luck with his internship..... http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4322659058549628092#

What's worse, is that someone posted this here to ask.....

GLOCKdNlocked
07-15-2010, 08:05
That's funny, I asked a Police Officer what he prefers and he said Federals Champs & Rem UMCs over the WWBs. Claimed that the WWBs were dirty, which in fact was try when I tested them along with the Federals. The Rem UMCs from what I've read, then to jam and such more often. Maybe I'll buy a bulk box and run them through to see. But hands down Federal Champs are one of the best deals out there for target/practice ammo.

cowboy1964
07-15-2010, 08:47
Federal is my favorite ammo. Glocks can eat anything, they sure as hell can eat Federal.

cadillacguns
07-15-2010, 09:25
I use it every range session, DEA dude was full of Manushka!

TheGrimReaper
07-15-2010, 20:38
I call BS!!!

voyager4520
07-16-2010, 04:22
Federal ammo is not bad for Glocks in any way. Steel-cased ammo is bad for the extractor, but I don't think Federal even makes steel-cased. Most Federal ammo(not the cheap Federal Champion) is loaded hotter than other brands, loaded about the same as self-defense loads which is what Glocks were designed for.

Personally I've shot nearly 1000 rounds of .40SW Federal American Eagle of every grain through each my Glock 23 and Glock 27. Also about 50 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shock through each gun.

JBP55
07-16-2010, 11:48
I call BS!!!

This.

bmylesk
07-16-2010, 12:32
maybe the guy was joking and meant federal gov. Ammo.:supergrin:

+1000

Jeepnik
07-17-2010, 09:59
A friend of mine recently bought a G23. He is trying to get an internship with the DEA, so he has contacts that he talks to regularly in the DEA. Yesterday he was telling me about his conversation with the agent regarding Glocks (DEA uses G23s). Apparently this guy was telling him DO NOT USE FEDERAL AMMO, period. He said it is bad for Glocks. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? The guys said to use WWB, which i dont particularly like. I try to buy the cheap federal 180 at walmart. So whats the deal with this? Why would it be bad for a Glock?

Could be that upstanding "DEA contact" has stock in another ammo company.:upeyes:

BrokenArrow
07-17-2010, 11:14
The FBI and DEA used Federal duty ammo (165g Hydra-Shok) in Glocks for years. Then they switched to Speer (165 Gold Dot), now it's Winchester (180 Bonded).

series1811
07-17-2010, 18:22

So a guy who is trying to get an internship with DEA told you that he had heard federal ammo is bad from one of his "contacts" in the DEA and you believed it enough to actually come on here and ask?

You need to tune your BS meter.

Ceapea
07-17-2010, 20:04
Every LEO and Government agency personnel that I have ever spoken to (several LEO and only two Gov'ment men) use some sort of JHP SD ammo. They practice with what they use in the field. They don't shoot Fed champion, WWB or any other target ammo unless they are shooting their own gun on their own time. And even then they usually have access to their agency range and ammo.
I think your friend might be full of poo poo.

JBP55
07-17-2010, 20:13
Every LEO and Government agency personnel that I have ever spoken to (several LEO and only two Gov'ment men) use some sort of JHP SD ammo. They practice with what they use in the field. They don't shoot Fed champion, WWB or any other target ammo unless they are shooting their own gun on their own time. And even then they usually have access to their agency range and ammo.
I think your friend might be full of poo poo.

They do use JHP ammunition in their duty guns (Primarily Gold Dot, Ranger T, PDX1, Golden Saber, HST ) but they also practice with the inexpensive ball ammunition. Most LEO shoot their duty rounds once or twice a year and are issued new duty rounds.

glocknick
07-18-2010, 08:02
this is the same agency that sends there untrained employees to teach gun safety to school children. why would you listen to them about anything firearm related.

Jim Watson
07-18-2010, 08:53
This is one of those Internet Lingering Legends.
There were some documented kaBooms with Federal .40s BEFORE 1995.
They beefed up their brass in 1996 and have been no different from any other brand since then.

unit1069
07-18-2010, 11:47

It sounds like your friend's DEA contact is a desk jockey with no range experience who's passing along a silly urban legend.

I've never had a failure with any ammo I've shot through my Glock, including both Federal AE and WWB. I think the Federal AE range ammo is superior to WWB but the WWB is a bit cheaper.

For self-defense rounds I have Federal Tactical Bonded and HST in 9mm and HST in .357sig. I don't own any Winchester premium JHP ammo. The DEA contact's opinion doesn't give me a moment's pause about my choices.

sbrill
07-18-2010, 14:28
So a guy who is trying to get an internship with DEA told you that he had heard federal ammo is bad from one of his "contacts" in the DEA and you believed it enough to actually come on here and ask?

You need to tune your BS meter.

Did i ever say i belive it?? No i did not. I would have thought that DEA agents might know what they are talking about, being that they carry Glock 23s every day. And they shoot them quite often. I have not owned my glock very long. So how am I supposed to know if a type of ammo is bad for a glock in the long run. I posted here confirm my thought, that it is not harmful. Thank you to everyone that did confirm.

HWA GLOCKER
07-18-2010, 22:36
Federal is my favorite ammo. Glocks can eat anything, they sure as hell can eat Federal.
:agree:

El_Ron1
07-19-2010, 01:26
http://www.athenahq.com/images/News/Still%202a.jpg

voyager4520
07-19-2010, 06:49
^^^DEA agent by the way^^^(post #25)

And I do remember hearing that they beefed up the case wall of their cartridges some time back, but it's history now.

Edit: I didn't know Winchester helped develop .40SW, I always thought it was Federal. I must've gotten it mixed up with .357SIG.

DWARREN123
07-19-2010, 07:27
Out of all the 40 cal brass I find at the ranges Federal has a lot of cracks from the case mouth to the case head. Seems that most is factory once fired brass. I do not like it for reloading, don't know how it shoots.

BrokenArrow
07-19-2010, 08:12
The 40 S&W was developed jointly by S&W and Winchester, not Federal.

Federal had some problems w 155 JHP and 180 FMJ ammo that led to case changes some time ago, has been OK since then AFAIK.

series1811
07-19-2010, 11:12
Did i ever say i belive it?? No i did not. I would have thought that DEA agents might know what they are talking about,

Did you talk to a DEA agent? Or some guy trying to get an internship?

South Fla
07-19-2010, 11:41
..\o/..

sbrill
07-19-2010, 11:45
Did you talk to a DEA agent? Or some guy trying to get an internship?

1. What does this have to do with anything?

2. I did not talk to him. A good friend of mine is working on getting an internship with the DEA. He has several close contacts in the DEA office. He has been to the office. He has been in the armory within the office. He talked guns with the agents on several occasions.

Im not totally sure what your trying to get at here...

series1811
07-19-2010, 12:37

2. I did not talk to him. A good friend of mine is working on getting an internship with the DEA. He has several close contacts in the DEA office. He has been to the office. He has been in the armory within the office. He talked guns with the agents on several occasions.

Your source.

1SGMP
07-19-2010, 13:37

Hi
Seires 1811 is a term the Govt uses to identify a Federal Agent (Ususally investigations). This 1811 may very be a SA and is trying to get to the bottom of this. 1811's are Mostly investigators from all different agencies FBI DEA SS ICE USMS etc etc.

sbrill
07-19-2010, 14:43
Hi
Seires 1811 is a term the Govt uses to identify a Federal Agent (Ususally investigations). This 1811 may very be a SA and is trying to get to the bottom of this. 1811's are Mostly investigators from all different agencies FBI DEA SS ICE USMS etc etc.

What is there to investigate? Ammo talk??

1SGMP
07-19-2010, 14:49
What is there to investigate? Ammo talk??

No I am just saying the the 1811 is a grade/position the govt uses to identify a Special Agent (SA). This guy could possibly be a DEA SA

South Fla
07-19-2010, 19:55

So...you talked to a guy who talked to a guy and now you are telling us....I see now.

I have a close contact inside one of the alphabet agencies and been in the office with said contact also...

She is a records clerk and I brought her lunch one day. :rofl: