What are you thoughts on the Kimber USMC DET-1? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What are you thoughts on the Kimber USMC DET-1?

Substance-P
07-15-2010, 18:55
I wasn't really looking for one; however, I ran across one for sale. It is used from a Marine. Has the dawson rail and surefire. Marked US Military Property USMC with a serial of DET1-1XX.

Does anyone have one? Any thoughts as a possible collector's item.

Any feedback would great.

cdunn
07-15-2010, 18:59
get it,most likely you wont get the chance again

Substance-P
07-15-2010, 19:13
get it,most likely you wont get the chance again

I am thinking it might be a rare opportunity...but it ain't cheap:wow:

bac1023
07-15-2010, 19:50
It looks like a Custom II with an insane price tag. ;)

glock_19guy1983
07-15-2010, 20:10
if it is marked USMC property i would say its stolen. They dont get to keep their weapons after they leave the service.

Glockster17
07-15-2010, 21:35
Most guys do not get to keep their weapons, however the first 87 "war fighters' of DET-1 had the option to buy their weapon. They are very rare on the open market. I've read in a gun magazine (sorry can't find the article at the moment) that one was sold for a confirmed $5000. It is believed to be the first 1911 with USMC markings. --Rob

pistolwrench
07-16-2010, 01:22
I had a few of the early DET-1 guns through my shop. Nothing special.
Slight evidence of some greater than normal attention to detail on the
assembly.
The guns have indeed sold in the 5K range.
There were a number of the later guns that were sold to the 'public' by
Kimber. I remember being offered one for $1500 or so. I passed.
The markings and history are pretty damn cool. 5K cool? Depends on how
much $ you have.

Rinspeed
07-16-2010, 04:47
It doesn't matter how good the quality is or what you think of Kimber. The DET-1 guns will be worth some serious money some day.

Ian-NH
07-16-2010, 06:15
Most guys do not get to keep their weapons, however the first 87 "war fighters' of DET-1 had the option to buy their weapon. They are very rare on the open market. I've read in a gun magazine (sorry can't find the article at the moment) that one was sold for a confirmed $5000. It is believed to be the first 1911 with USMC markings. --Rob

I read the same article, I believe it was in an issue of Combat Tactics, a Guns&Ammo magazine that comes out a couple times a year.

majette
07-16-2010, 07:44
buy it. if i could find one used at a good price i would pick it up, sort of a commemorative of my usmc days. used just because i would have to shoot it, there are no safe queens.

Ruggles
07-16-2010, 17:01
As a former Marine (87-91) I would not pay that much for the markings, but I would agree as an investment it might be a pretty smart move.

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 17:40
:needspics:

Substance-P
07-17-2010, 05:36

drc767
07-17-2010, 05:44
As a former Marine (87-91) I would not pay that much for the markings, but I would agree as an investment it might be a pretty smart move.

Former Marine?? I get my ass chewed by my buddy who was in the Corps when I say "former Marine", or "Ex-Marine". He always corrects me and tells me there is not such thing as an ex-Marine, "once a Marine, always a Marine". lol

drc767
07-17-2010, 05:48
Here is a quick one I snapped with my cell phone and tried to clean up the back ground with subpar photoshop skills (tried to make it less distracting).

Anyway, as you can see, it's used with the dawson rail and surefire. The frame does have the lanyard loop, it just didn't make it into the picture.

I still can't decide if the is worth 5K to me.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q147/substance-p/USMC_DET1-1.jpg

$5K for a Kimber? I don't care if the good lord himself was the gunsmith that built the thing and put his initials under the grips, I would have a serious tough time with that one. It is a cool conversation piece, though. Thank god I was issued a Sig P226 during my days in the Navy.....it is a whole lot cheaper to walk down nostalgia lane.

faawrenchbndr
07-17-2010, 06:26
Former Marine?? I get my ass chewed by my buddy who was in the Corps when I say "former Marine", or "Ex-Marine". He always corrects me and tells me there is not such thing as an ex-Marine, "once a Marine, always a Marine". lol

I once made the mistake of referring to a friend as a "former Marine"
He squared me away rather quickly

Rinspeed
07-17-2010, 06:27
For $5K I bet you could find one NIB, I've seen a couple listed on Gunbroker in the last year or so. The last one I seen didn't sell at $3500 but I can't remember if it had been fired or not. I guess a few of them went to Kimber execs. Dave Pennington who posts on a couple of the forums has three of them in his safe. :wow: Here's one that sold for $3800 NIB a couple years ago.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=80183

Ruggles
07-17-2010, 07:39
I once made the mistake of referring to a friend as a "former Marine"
He squared me away rather quickly

Yeah that is a common thought process in fact my dad still has it and he was in the Corps in the 1950s :)

I really do not subscribe to it myself, I was discharged from active duty in Nov 1991 and from inactive reserve status 3 years latter so I consider myself a "former" Marine. I do not wear the Eagle, Globe & Anchor any longer so I prefer to save the title Marine for those who still do.

I do belong to my local Marine Corps League (Det 982, Brazoria County, Texas) and most of the guys there do not use the term former so I am a loner I guess :)

Now I do draw the line at someone calling me a Solider or saying I was in the Army! :)

faawrenchbndr
07-17-2010, 07:50
I understand Ruggles,......I meant no disrespect.

I did however, make the mistake of calling a Marine a GRUNT! :wow:
Not a pretty sight,.......:dunno:

Ruggles
07-17-2010, 07:57
I understand Ruggles,......I meant no disrespect.

I did however, make the mistake of calling a Marine a GRUNT! :wow:
Not a pretty sight,.......:dunno:

Oh none taken at all sir. :)

Now when I was in Grunt was not a offensive term at all, in fact although I was an MOS 02 / Intel guy all of the MOS 03s Infantry guys called themselves Grunts as did everyone else. In fact my dad was an 03 (actually carried a WWII era "Bazooka") he refers to himself as a Grunt and me as a "Pogey Bait" Marine since I was not a Grunt :)

Substance-P
07-17-2010, 08:20

This is a good point. I edited my original description.