OpenOffice 3.2 Formatting Problems [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice 3.2 Formatting Problems

duncan
07-16-2010, 00:04
I've been using OO for years.

But on my netbook with Win 7 starter, the tabs and some of the formatting is thrown off when I open a document created in MS Word and then open in Writer.

Do I have a corrupted version of OO3.2?

Pierre!
07-16-2010, 07:09
This will happen under certain circumstances... I have run into this ever since I have tried mixing the two applications.

They are "key stroke compatible", but formatting retention is a crap shoot in my experience.

If someone has solutions, I am certainly all ears!!! :supergrin:

duncan
07-16-2010, 14:29
Bought a netbook to do light office work using OpenOffice and now with the formatting being off, I have to go to my desktop - defeating the purpose!!!!

GIockGuy24
07-16-2010, 15:01
If it's just Word documents you require, you might try Abiword. It doesn't do the other office suite formats and features but usually works very well for Word documents and is much faster than OpenOffice.

http://filehippo.com/download_abiword/

Linux3
07-16-2010, 15:09
Not slamming anybody or anything but...
The problem is most likely MS Office. I work for a very large Corporation and although I'm a Unix admin I do help Windows people some times.
Going from an older version of MS Office to a newer version may cause formatting problems. Going frm one person's system to another, both running XP and Office (Whatever) will have formatting problems.

Google it. One of the major issues that Microsoft said they were fixing in the newest version of Office, the xml like version, is formatting.

Please, don't believe me, google it.
I understand it always works for you. It's your system. But Office has problems.
http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/

Pierre!
07-16-2010, 16:28
Funny, that doesn't surprise me at all Linux3... :rofl:

duncan
07-16-2010, 18:42
Funny, that doesn't surprise me at all Linux3... :rofl:

I trust what you say and know that Bill is looking out for Bill. Buy companies, take their IP, gut the humans, badge it, keep on assimilating with the Borg implants.

Perhaps Abiword

GIockGuy24
07-16-2010, 18:52
Note that Abiword only works with Word Documents. I don't think it works with XML, Power Point or any other MS Office format. It may work with some other word processing formats but I don't think it works with any other Microsoft Office formats other than Word (.doc)

GIockGuy24
07-16-2010, 18:56
If you only need to read or open certain MS Office formats Microsoft does have free "viewer" programs that can be downloaded free of charge to view and read those formats, but they won't write or modify any.

duncan
07-17-2010, 17:38
Downloaded AbiWord and have been using it for a couple of days.

Like it.

Although I wish I could set the Save As feature to doc format.

I understand it places a wrapper around these rtf or txt files so that Word will read the file as a doc file.

But the formatting between MS Word and AbiWord stays 97% the same. Close enough for me.

David_Ely
07-17-2010, 21:12
What about using Google Docs?

duncan
07-17-2010, 23:26
I just tried Google docs.

Slick, they default ask you to convert your Word doc documents to Google docs format.

But I imported a resume and tried to view and could not.

Who is using Google docs here?

Looks pretty polished and is the direction where Google wants to undercut and destroy the whole concept of Microsoft's paid software and shift it to subscription service for all of your software.