1911 noob questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 1911 noob questions

captdreifus
07-16-2010, 01:34
Ok,

So I have been talking about getting a 1911 for exactly one year today. Many of you have suggested a RIA, SA Milspec, STI, Firestorm, CD, and some others for my first 1911. Well, being a lefty requires me to have the ambi safety. I have narrowed it down to a few choices, and will be purchasing within 48 hrs, but have some very newbie questions.

What are the do's and don'ts for 1911's? My google fu is at a white belt status tonight and I cannot find anything here on GT via the search function.

I know:

-Not to force the slide stop in, sans the "idiot" mark.
-Never let the slide slam on an empty chamber.
-Don't ease the hammer down, rather dry fire.

This is the basic knowledge that I have for 1911's. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Thanks.

Captdreifus

The_Drizzle
07-16-2010, 01:58
You can ease the hammer down, but make sure the trigger is pressed all the way back the whole time. I don't see how that could do any harm. For most of what you need to know read the manual of whatever gun you get. That should take care of most of it.

When you get it post pics and range report.

BlayGlock
07-16-2010, 07:09
Is there anything else that I am missing?

Yes. You do not know how addictive they are until you get your first one.

Also you should follow your manual on lubrication. Many people think the gun has to be dripping with oil to function. It does not. I would go so far to say many people use more lube than necessary.

ctfireman
07-16-2010, 11:52
They are definitley different than other guns. I keep my polymer guns fairly dry but not 1911's They are way more fun to clean, i guess bc of the take down & more parts. What are your choices narrowed down to? If you're not sure yet check out my thread on the $450 metro arms american classic II. It's a whole lot of gun for the money. I was gonna buy a SA mil spec til i found that one.

brzusa.1911
07-16-2010, 12:41
When you field strip the pistol for cleaning make sure you don't push the trigger without the slide on as it will cause the hammer to hit the frame fullforce. If you are doing a full disassembly you will be required to lower the hammer without the slide, in this case make sure you hold the hammer lowering down.

freedom790
07-16-2010, 13:09
This is the basic knowledge that I have for 1911's. Is there anything else that I am missing?

Just my personal experience. Try some dummy rounds (snap cap, etc.) and do a lot of dry fire. Getting used to the grip safety was my biggest adjustment transitioning from Beretta to 1911. The government put a lot of money into teaching me to be good with the Beretta, but that grip safety on the 1911 made me feel like I was back in gun kindergarten (I never would push it in all the way). Your mileage may vary.

zhix
07-16-2010, 18:32
Ok,

So I have been talking about getting a 1911 for exactly one year today. Many of you have suggested a RIA, SA Milspec, STI, Firestorm, CD, and some others for my first 1911. Well, being a lefty requires me to have the ambi safety. I have narrowed it down to a few choices, and will be purchasing within 48 hrs, but have some very newbie questions.

What are the do's and don'ts for 1911's? My google fu is at a white belt status tonight and I cannot find anything here on GT via the search function.

I know:

-Not to force the slide stop in, sans the "idiot" mark.
-Never let the slide slam on an empty chamber.
-Don't ease the hammer down, rather dry fire.

Thanks.

Captdreifus

I have never heard that about empty chamber, how does harm the gun?(not arguing just curious)

As far as easing the hammer, I was told you're not supposed to do this on Kimbers, if you ease the hammer down you can damage the trigger. It also says to dry fire in my Para manual, but I could care less about damaging the 'GI expert' at this point.

brzusa.1911
07-16-2010, 18:46
I have never heard that about empty chamber, how does harm the gun?(not arguing just curious)

As far as easing the hammer, I was told you're not supposed to do this on Kimbers, if you ease the hammer down you can damage the trigger. It also says to dry fire in my Para manual, but I could care less about damaging the 'GI expert' at this point.

Dropping the slide on an empty chamber will eventually wear parts faster. When the slide goes back into battery the only thing holding it from flying off the frame is the slide stop/release (which can also dammage the frame) and the barrel link. Think if you have an 18lbs recoil spring and you release the slide on an empty chamber, you have approximately 18lbs slamming into your slide stop/release and barrel link - some of the weight will be lost due to the friction of the slide against the frame. If you release the slide while chambering a round, a lot more of the weight will be reduced as the slide drags the round into the chamber.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to buy used 1911s, unless I am absolutely sure the seller knows how to handle 1911s.

kobel1up
10-19-2010, 10:18
Ok got a question. I have a pro carry 2 kimber, if you aren't supposed to ease the hammer down or whatever. What do you do when you have it cocked and locked when carrying or you cock the hammer because of a strange noise you are checking out downstairs. When you decide its nothing, how should you uncock the hammer? Very new to 1911 again, and I never heard any of this when I owned my SA 1911.

tango44
10-19-2010, 11:13
Get your self a STI SPARTAN and you are good to go!
For $54 they will add the ambi safe!

bob_fuller
10-19-2010, 12:36
Ok got a question. I have a pro carry 2 kimber, if you aren't supposed to ease the hammer down or whatever. What do you do when you have it cocked and locked when carrying or you cock the hammer because of a strange noise you are checking out downstairs. When you decide its nothing, how should you uncock the hammer? Very new to 1911 again, and I never heard any of this when I owned my SA 1911.

hmm. I don't own a 1911, but in that case, i would drop the mag, rack the slide (probably more than once for safety's sake) to clear the round, and then just dry fire it.