Ed Brown for a Guncrafter [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ed Brown for a Guncrafter

BlayGlock
07-16-2010, 07:29
So Iíve been looking at these Guncrafter pics you guys are putting up and it got me to thinking that I would probably like one of those. I was thinking of selling my Ed Brown Kobra to get one. The reason is, I am not a collector like many of you fine gentlemen, and I have a policy of not having any safe queens. Given my limited time to reload I would not be able to shoot both with regularity. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
The Brown is a fantastic gun, its beautiful, shoots great, is reliable, and has a great trigger. However, it is more common than a Guncrafter and not as cool IMO.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
So what do you think, is the Guncrafter worth going through the hassle at this time? Do you think that it is worth it over a Brown?<o:p></o:p>

(If I did get this I guess I could officially join the Bac made me buy this, however, drc played a role as well. Darn you guys.)

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 07:39
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_65fJY6BlFC0/SxMDOzDZPcI/AAAAAAAAAf4/IM9a2qJaYD8/s400/peerpressure-1.jpg

lawdog734
07-16-2010, 08:16
I just got one from DRC. This was my first "semi custom" 1911. I LOVE IT. It is by far the nicest gun I have ever shot. I never have shot or held an Ed Brown but the No Name is well worth the money/time it takes to get one. I will be posting pics of mine this weekend. Plus DRC is awesome to deal with and I would buy from him again.

Dean22
07-16-2010, 08:22
I love the looks of those Name Names, man they are some sweet guns. I am in the same boat as you though I don't have safe queens. I've got a carry gun that is also my range gun, aside from the I've got a shotgun so home defense. I'm seriously thinking about increase my gun collection to include a No Name, (my carry is .40, might be switching to 9mm) so that means I don't have a .45, good enough reason right??? :)

drc767
07-16-2010, 08:34
I just got one from DRC. This was my first "semi custom" 1911. I LOVE IT. It is by far the nicest gun I have ever shot. I never have shot or held an Ed Brown but the No Name is well worth the money/time it takes to get one. I will be posting pics of mine this weekend. Plus DRC is awesome to deal with and I would buy from him again.

Thanks for the good words, Lawdog. I thought it would be a great carry/duty weapon for you. I just cannot say enough good words about the NN. As far as the original posters question, I believe it comes down to a personal choice. Everyone has a different idea of the "perfect" weapon. I, personally would trade an Ed Brown for a GI No Name any day of the week.....but that is just my opinion. BlayGlock.....I have three NN's on order right now, two of which are spoken for (I think they are about 8-10 weeks out)...You may also find someone that has one in stock if you search around GB or GA.

lawdog734
07-16-2010, 08:38
I had the No Name at the station last night, me and two other officers shot a total of 24 rounds through it. Our range is 50 feet. we had no trouble putting all the rounds into the spinal colum markings/ brian stem markings on the target. Before we shot it the other two said "I can't believe you would spend that much money on a gun" afterword all they said was Wow.
DRC you deserve the praise you were a big help. Thanks again.

BlayGlock
07-16-2010, 08:54
drc I need to sell the Brown first if I get one, but if you will ship to my FFL here in Texas, I would order through you when I get ready (if I get ready).

drc767
07-16-2010, 09:01
drc I need to sell the Brown first if I get one, but if you will ship to my FFL here in Texas, I would order through you when I get ready (if I get ready).

Not a problem whatsoever to ship to your FFL.

drc767
07-16-2010, 09:05
I had the No Name at the station last night, me and two other officers shot a total of 24 rounds through it. Our range is 50 feet. we had no trouble putting all the rounds into the spinal colum markings/ brian stem markings on the target. Before we shot it the other two said "I can't believe you would spend that much money on a gun" afterword all they said was Wow.
DRC you deserve the praise you were a big help. Thanks again.

My Brother-in-Law is LEO with Nashville Metro. We went to the range last week and he was saying pretty much the same thing before we got to the range. After he shot about 100 rounds through his G22, I put up a fresh target in my lane, loaded up a couple mags in the NN and told him to give it a go. He absolutely destroyed the center of the target.....He wouldn't stop talking about how much he liked it all the way home. :)

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-16-2010, 11:49
I have a 5" Ed Brown Special Forces.... I wish I had gotten a 5" Kobra with a rail now, but oh well. I love the brown, and wouldn't sell it. It's the only 45 cal 1911 I own.

I'd keep the Brown if I were you. If yours works so well and shoots great - don't sell it.

lawdog734
07-16-2010, 12:05
I have a 5" Ed Brown Special Forces.... I wish I had gotten a 5" Kobra with a rail now, but oh well. I love the brown, and wouldn't sell it. It's the only 45 cal 1911 I own.

I'd keep the Brown if I were you. If yours works so well and shoots great - don't sell it.
Although I love my No Name I agree with trying to keep both. I am with you on the no safe queens but if you want something changed on either and have to send it out you'll still have a great shooter either way while you wait.

BlayGlock
07-16-2010, 12:21
It is a great shooter and Ive had no problems out of it so far. Browns are really nice guns. I may just save up or wait and see if I get a bonus next year and then buy it.

SuHu
07-16-2010, 12:37
It would be better if you had a gun that was worth the same as the GI. You'd be losing too much money on the Brown, and you will have to come up with 900-1000 bucks on top of that. 1500 bucks loss for... cool factor?

Save your pennies!

glock2740
07-16-2010, 13:02
Plus DRC is awesome to deal with and I would buy from him again.
I second that. Dave is one of the coolest guys, let alone gun dealer, that I've met/talked to in a long time. Great guy to deal with. :thumbsup:

drc767
07-16-2010, 13:39
It would be better if you had a gun that was worth the same as the GI. You'd be losing too much money on the Brown, and you will have to come up with 900-1000 bucks on top of that. 1500 bucks loss for... cool factor?

Save your pennies!

Not sure I agree with your math unless you are assuming he gives the Brown away and pays retail for the NN . In any event, I agee with the above postings that say if you can keep the Brown and buy a NN, that would be the way I would go. Reality is, though, that is not always an option for everybody.

bac1023
07-16-2010, 17:46
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_65fJY6BlFC0/SxMDOzDZPcI/AAAAAAAAAf4/IM9a2qJaYD8/s400/peerpressure-1.jpg

:rofl:

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 18:37
Not sure I agree with your math unless you are assuming he gives the Brown away and pays retail for the NN . In any event, I agee with the above postings that say if you can keep the Brown and buy a NN, that would be the way I would go. Reality is, though, that is not always an option for everybody.

I'll take it. :thumbsup:

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 18:44
Man, you guys are a BAD influence. I was lurking on GC's websitetoday . Everyone keeps buying them sooooooo I just had to look. :whistling:

So for a high(er) end bobtail Commander .45, is the GC worth $500-600 more than an Ed Brown? Yes, I know this is a subjective question, but I am looking for input. It will be a year or so before I drop the cash on a really nice semi-custom, so the extra cash isn't a huge concern. Just wondering.

Trey83
07-16-2010, 18:50
Man, you guys are a BAD influence. I was lurking on GC's websitetoday . Everyone keeps buying them sooooooo I just had to look. :whistling:

So for a high(er) end bobtail Commander .45, is the GC worth $500-600 more than an Ed Brown? Yes, I know this is a subjective question, but I am looking for input. It will be a year or so before I drop the cash on a really nice semi-custom, so the extra cash isn't a huge concern. Just wondering.

Sure it will.............:tongueout:

Don't worry I keep try to convince myself the same thing :embarassed:

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 19:05
Sure it will.............:tongueout:

Don't worry I keep try to convince myself the same thing :embarassed:

It will be, trust me. A $2k+ pistola will = divorce and child support which will seriously impact my gunfund ability. :whistling:

drc767
07-16-2010, 19:17

I just looked at my price sheets for both EB and Guncrafter.....I don't see anywhere near a $500-$600 difference in price between the two Bobtail versions. What models are you comparing?

Wade-19
07-16-2010, 19:21
It will be, trust me. A $2k+ pistola will = divorce and child support which will seriously impact my gunfund ability. :whistling:

That's why you don't tell her !!! Do you think my wife knows I bought the Custom DW, or the Mil-spec 9mm. She doesn't even know about the Heritage that Chuck has. My friend , it is much easier to get foregivness than permission !

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 19:29
That's why you don't tell her !!! Do you think my wife knows I bought the Custom DW, or the Mil-spec 9mm. She doesn't even know about the Heritage that Chuck has. My friend, it is much easier to get foregivness than permission !

Well my friend, that's how the CBOB is finding it's way into my grubby little paws. Mrs Hokieshooter has no idea. :whistling:

As far as she knows I sold my "machine gun" for a "black pistol". I will worry about how to explain the "silver pistol" if/when she ever finds out.

glock2740
07-16-2010, 19:54
Personally, I would take a GC NN bobtailed commander over a KK anyday of the week. And I really like the KK alot.

bac1023
07-16-2010, 19:56

I think Guncrafters are worth the money.

They're very well built 1911s.

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 20:12
I think Guncrafters are worth the money.

They're very well built 1911s.

So what's the difference to justify $600 higher price tag? Or does it simply boil down to a Coke vs Pepsi thing...personal preference?

bac1023
07-16-2010, 20:20
So what's the difference to justify $600 higher price tag? Or does it simply boil down to a Coke vs Pepsi thing...personal preference?

You can get a No Name bobtail for about $300 or so more than an Ed Brown Special Forces bobtail or Kobra Carry. Don't look at the Model #3, because that's the 50GI model. They go for slightly more money. The No Name is more comparable to Ed Brown's models.

I personally think they're a better build than Ed Brown. Maybe not as flashy, but its a personal preference thing. Ed Brown is top notch too.

I really all comes down to personal preference when comparing all the best 1911s. Nighthawk prices run about even with Guncrafter.

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 20:56
You can get a No Name bobtail for about $300 or so more than an Ed Brown Special Forces bobtail or Kobra Carry. Don't look at the Model #3, because that's the 50GI model. They go for slightly more money. The No Name is more comparable to Ed Brown's models.

I personally think they're a better build than Ed Brown. Maybe not as flashy, but its a personal preference thing. Ed Brown is top notch too.

I really all comes down to personal preference when comparing all the best 1911s. Nighthawk prices run about even with Guncrafter.

Ok, for the $2,000-2,500ish range...how would you rank these?

GC NN Commander bobtail
EB KobraCarry
Nighthawk T3
Wilson CQB Compact

bac1023
07-16-2010, 21:08
Ok, for the $2,000-2,500ish range...how would you rank these?

GC NN Commander bobtail
EB KobraCarry
Nighthawk T3
Wilson CQB Compact

I don't buy small framed 1911s, so the Nighthawk and Wilson are out.

I probably prefer the GC over the EB slightly. That said, my GC NN is full size.

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 21:25
I don't buy small framed 1911s, so the Nighthawk and Wilson are out.

I probably prefer the GC over the EB slightly. That said, my GC NN is full size.

Haha, totally forgot your "size rule".

lawdog734
07-16-2010, 22:16
Hokie, we'll go to the range and I'll let you shoot my GC since you already seen the quality of Quack's Ed Brown.

Hokie1911
07-16-2010, 22:22
Hokie, we'll go to the range and I'll let you shoot my GC since you already seen the quality of Quack's Ed Brown.

Oooooh good thinking. I have to admit I am intrigued. Have read nothing but glowing reviews from people who's opinion I trust. I would offload the CBOB to cushion the blow, so it's definitely doable. Looking forward to seeing Joe's HC roundbutt commander.

glock2740
07-16-2010, 23:08
Oooooh good thinking. I have to admit I am intrigued. Have read nothing but glowing reviews from people who's opinion I trust. I would offload the CBOB to cushion the blow, so it's definitely doable. Looking forward to seeing Joe's HC roundbutt commander.
I can't wait to show it to you and everyone else, as well as give a detailed range report. :supergrin: I heard it through the grapevine that it was 6-8 weeks out. :whistling:

bac1023
07-17-2010, 04:43
I can't wait to show it to you and everyone else, as well as give a detailed range report. :supergrin: I heard it through the grapevine that it was 6-8 weeks out. :whistling:

Should be awesome :cool:

jjdubious48195
07-17-2010, 04:59
I also have an Ed Brown, Top Notch Gun. But as far as Guncrafter Industries goes, people keep calling them Semi Custom, but that is B.S. They are not semi custom. People need to realize what the difference is. I have held and shot an American model and it is worth every penny IMO. But would never trade my Brown. Custom means hand made, not production parts put together like Sigs, Glocks, ect. I will be getting my American soon, enjoy.

drc767
07-17-2010, 05:05
JJ...Do you have an American on order? They are also an excellent pistol. I have one in inventory and was just looking it over the other day. I particularly like the magwell on these pistols.....very unique and seemless. It flows very well with the pistol.

drc767
07-17-2010, 05:10

If that is the case, they are a little ahead of schedule. I was thinking we were like 8-10 weeks out. Should I tell Alex to take his time with yours? I know your not in a big rush....:)

Hokie1911
07-17-2010, 07:39
If that is the case, they are a little ahead of schedule. I was thinking we were like 8-10 weeks out. Should I tell Alex to take his time with yours? I know your not in a big rush....:)

Hey Dave, tell Alex and Chris it's a Xmas gift so he doesn't need it until mid-December. :homer: Doh!

glock2740
07-17-2010, 10:14
Maybe that was wishful thinking subconscious typing?:dunno: :whistling: :embarassed:

glock2740
07-17-2010, 10:15
Hey Dave, tell Alex and Chris it's a Xmas gift so he doesn't need it until mid-December. :homer: Doh!
It'll sure feel like Christmas when I open up that package. :supergrin:

Hokie1911
07-17-2010, 10:45
It'll sure feel like Christmas when I open up that package. :supergrin:

Yeah no kidding.

jjdubious48195
07-17-2010, 11:57
I talked with Alex in June told him I want it mid January, I was planning on getting a matching pair of Americans but now I might just go with one now and one later in the year. Only reason for this is I want to get a Benelli M4 at the same time I get my GI American. I want to one day have a collection like BAC but have to fight it over with the wife first. Good thing I am the bread winner, lol.

BlayGlock
07-17-2010, 12:27
GC NN Commander bobtail
EB KobraCarry
Nighthawk T3
Wilson CQB Compact

Out of those I would probably buy the T3, but Im a bonafide Nighthawk fanboy due to my experience with thier people. Those guys will bend over backwards. Im interested in the GC American more than anything. But then again I amy loose interest when my Springfield Custom Carry gets here. *sigh* about 6-7 more weeks.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-17-2010, 12:41
See, I've seen too many NEW, Nighthawks with serious quality control issues at various gunstores... They don't really impress me if they let stuff like that ship out.

GJ1981
07-17-2010, 12:53
See, I've seen too many NEW, Nighthawks with serious quality control issues at various gunstores... They don't really impress me if they let stuff like that ship out.

:agree:

I took a close look at a NHC today that I saw a week or so again. It was shipped with a blotchy finish, two nice dings in the light rail as well as some bare metal showing though, and today I took a closer look to find quite a bit of tool-marks in the slide.

I know tool-marks have no affect on performance, but on a $2000+ pistol they should be minimal. The sad thing was a SA GI I looked at had less tool-marks than the NHC.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-17-2010, 14:02
I saw a $3K NH a few weeks ago. The slide was all scratched to hell on 1 side. It came in that way. For $3K - that is ridiculous.

bac1023
07-17-2010, 16:28
I saw a $3K NH a few weeks ago. The slide was all scratched to hell on 1 side. It came in that way. For $3K - that is ridiculous.

Yeah, everyone always sees these horror shows that Nighthawk sends out. I've never seen one and both of mine are perfect.

Hokie1911
07-17-2010, 16:44
Yeah that's the freakin' worst when your shiny new expensive toy doesn't work right. :steamed:

http://images.cardomain.com/sites/cardomain/features/john/599-flames.jpg

glock2740
07-17-2010, 17:21
Yeah that's the freakin' worst when your shiny new expensive toy doesn't work right. :steamed:

http://images.cardomain.com/sites/cardomain/features/john/599-flames.jpg
Damn Nighthawk cars. :rofl:

bac1023
07-17-2010, 18:20

BlayGlock
07-21-2010, 13:02
Yeah, everyone always sees these horror shows that Nighthawk sends out. I've never seen one and both of mine are perfect.

Ditto.