Which aftermarket mags for TRP? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which aftermarket mags for TRP?

finz50
07-16-2010, 10:53
My TRP should is shipping to my FFL today and I'm going to buy some aftermarket mags and wanted you opinions on which ones to buy, specifically which ones have worked well in your TRP. Looking for the extra mags for a couple reasons, one being IDPA shoots, the other being that I'm looking at 3 10-round mags for home defense/extra capacity (1 in gun, 1 10-round mag in each vehicle glove box). Couple of questions I had regarding additional magazines:

1) What's the difference between 7 and 8 round magazines, other than holding the extra round? They look pretty close to identical in size to me. Any preference in one vs. the other one?

2) Are the SA factory mags (I can get them for cheap with the Loaded Coupon) any lesser quality than CMC or Wilson Combat? Those are the 3 brands I was looking at getting and was wondering if the extra money (2x as much) for the WC or CMC mags worth it?

3) Whats up with the base plates/slam pads? Do they help that much? I noticed the SA aftermarket mags look like they come without the base plates is why I'm asking. Didn't know if it mattered, with the TRP having the wide mouth mag well.

Thanks...

freedom790
07-16-2010, 11:06
I've used the 7, 8, and 10rd mags in my first 1911 that I've since sold and in my frankengun 1911. I dont notice a difference in any of them except for the capacity. I also use wilson 47D, shooting stars, factory para mags, and a factory colt officer's mag with 100 percent success. The only thing I've had a problem with is the cheap J&J mags, the wont lock the slide to the rear every time.

Jager1
07-16-2010, 11:21
http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/

I found the above article helpful.

ctfireman
07-16-2010, 11:47
Wilsons are my personal favorite. Kimpro tac mags are nice too. Factory springfield mags have hung up on me before.

zhix
07-16-2010, 11:57
Although I don't compete w/1911s I use wilsons in my kimber ultra carry so I do trust them, and I do not use the kimber mag that came with it except for at the range, it jammed up and I think it was the follower design in the mag. I also use wilson ETMs in my gov't frame guns ands Chip McCormick, which are probably as good but a lot cheaper. Tripp Research mags also seem to be popular but I have no experience with them.

I should add that a friend said he was having problems w/wilsons in his TRP a while back, but I have never seen or fired the gun.

zhix
07-16-2010, 12:06
I should have read your questions more carefully...

1) notice wilson mags are 8 round but don't fit flush, and many companies still make their flush mags 7 round because they feel it is more reliable...

2)Metalform is said to be the OEM for SA, I don't have SA guns or metalform mags, but have heard they are reliable

3)I would get mags that have or are capable of excepting bumper pads in a gun w/ a magwell

CMG
07-16-2010, 14:59
Mine runs great on both the Kimber Tac-Pro (not the standard-issue Kimber mags) and Check-Mate (Colt standard issue) brand mags.

SA standard issue mags aren't much better than Kimber's standard issue, IMO (I don't use either). Wilson, Check-Mate, Kimber Tac-Pro, Cobra, and McCormick Power Mags are better options.

The mag well also adds length, so the base pad helps with seating the mag. Without the base-pad, you'd have to push the bottom of the mag into the well with your thumb, or finger to seat it.

Agent6-3/8
07-16-2010, 15:15
I like Tripp Research's Cobra Mags and Wilson's ETM's. Wilson's 47's with the low profile buttplate are a close second. (can't think of the model # off the top of my head) With all that said, I've never had a single problem with SA's factory mags.

JoNo413
07-16-2010, 22:44
Wilson ETM's have been 100% in my TRP, but so have the factory 7 rounders.

kirgi08
07-17-2010, 01:44
Wilson Combat/SS,it's all I use in my 1911s'.'08.

glock2740
07-17-2010, 02:14
I use Wilson and Tripp Cobra's.

Goldendog Redux
07-17-2010, 02:14
Chip McCormick Power Mags are the mags to use for the TRP. You will find if you research it, many, many others will agree.

I know Power mags aren't as sexy as Wilson's etc. but trust me, Power Mags.

MF

CanIhaveGasCash
07-17-2010, 04:12
Wilson ETM's have been 100% in my TRP, but so have the factory 7 rounders.

Same for me. However, the slide won't lock back with a well used Wilson 47D. The ETM's work great though.

Quack
07-17-2010, 09:14
Wilson ETM's work for me.

Rinspeed
07-17-2010, 11:24
For the money you just can't beat these.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/check-mate-.45acp-8rd-stainless-steel-hybrid-full-size-1911-magazine.html

brisk21
07-17-2010, 12:08
Chip McCormick Power Mags are the mags to use for the TRP. You will find if you research it, many, many others will agree.

MF

I gotta agree. I got 2 10 round CMC Power+ mags and they run 100%. Well, so do my stock Springfield (metalform) mags. I plan on getting some CMC 8 round power+ mags to try. Since CMCs work perfectly I probably wont try anything else.

Spiffums
07-17-2010, 12:48
8 round Shooting Stars (CMC) do really really good in my Kimber TLEII.

okie
07-17-2010, 16:42
I use Wilson and Tripp Cobra's.

This:thumbsup:

Zombie Steve
07-17-2010, 23:04

MF

:thumbsup:

I've stated this here before, but I think it bears repeating. When you take a Wilson 47D apart next to a McCormick Power Mag, the Wilson spring looks like a joke. They have both worked for me... no complaints, but the McCormick's are pretty darn beefy.

bdoub1eu
07-18-2010, 13:44

MF

I read on a few posts here on the 1911 forum that some people had some issues with their TRPs and the Wilson mags so I opted for the CMC's. I've got 4 Power Mags and not a single hiccup with either.