Thoughts on Remington 110 for HD? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Remington 110 for HD?

chuck pullen
07-16-2010, 12:20
I'm thinking about getting an 1100 with a 21" Cylinder bore that would be primarily for HD and range/fun. I already have a Mossberg 590 Special Purpose for HD, so really I'm already set and know it. However, this Remington 1100 Magnum with rifle sights looks and feels good. I just don' want to buy a problem gun.

If I got it, I would want to add a Wilson 2 round mag extension.

My questions are 1) Are these generally reliable enough for HD? 2) Will the mag extension change that reliability negatively? and 3) Is it true they don't cycle cheap bird-shot rounds reliably (thereby greatly diminishing the fun factor)?

Any answers or other thoughts would be appreciated.

aippi
07-17-2010, 23:06
This always starts a this -v- that mess. I do not recommend any semi-atuo for duty or HD. that 1100 has to be firmly shouldered in order to cycle the next round. In a fight you may not have the opertunity to set up like you would on the range and may have to take a quick snap shot. Better get him with that first one 'cause you will have a failure to feed issue.

Also, when you trust your life you a semi-auto you trust it to each and every round of ammo as that round has to be perfect to cycle the weapon. After all the crap ammo that was put out during the ammo shortage of the past year or so, I don't want to risk that. Do you? A round of 00 buck out of a pump does not have to be perfect to get the job done. A round of 00 buck that is a few grains short may not cycle you semi.

So the answer is a firm NO. I have an 11-87 Police and I love to shoot it. It is one of most fun weapons I have to take to the range. My 11-87 Police lives in my safe and I will not rely on it for HD. I have 870's for that.

The ability of a Remington semi-auto to cycle an give load depends on the barrel. Short barrels for HD are mostly designed for buck shot and slugs and may not do well with lighter loads. I am very sure about the verious 1100's out there as I only deal the 11-87 Police models.

9mmdude
07-17-2010, 23:16
I will second what aippi said. I own an 11-87 police, a Mossberg 930 SPX and 2 870's. One of my 870's is the go to gun. The autos are for fun.

Folsom_Prison
07-17-2010, 23:51
I would stick with the pumps for HD! Just MHO!

Herd Sniper
07-19-2010, 21:06
An 870 is what I also use. It is reliable to a fault. I've put hundreds and hundreds of rounds through it without a mechanical problem at all. I had one problem but that was caused by the ammo and not the gun.