.45 Super for Deer hunting, experiences? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : .45 Super for Deer hunting, experiences?

21Glock
07-17-2010, 09:32
I have a Glock 21SF I have outfitted to shoot .45 Super rounds(22lb. recoil spring, SS guide rod and 6" Lone Wolf barrel, .45 Super brass)

I plan on using it this Fall for Georgia Whitetails.

Anyone out there used this round for deer hunting and how did it perform on the deer taken?

Thanks!

noway
07-17-2010, 15:36
Never used a 45super, but use the older thing called a 45colt :cool: And both are about equal if you look at the looker in of the 45colt and non 45colt Ruger-only loads.

If it was loaded within a respectable power range and w/ a bullet 220-280 grains, then I would say it would be a good round for WT-deer. I would wonder how accurate this round would be in auto vrs a revolver.

About 5-6 years back, I individual in this forum name "ban" something had posted some load data with using 260+ grain .453dia bullets in the super with good published results. I have some of his load data that he drafted up when I briefly had a SS aftermarket bbl and a glock 21.

21Glock
07-17-2010, 18:42
Never used a 45super, but use the older thing called a 45colt :cool: And both are about equal if you look at the looker in of the 45colt and non 45colt Ruger-only loads.

If it was loaded within a respectable power range and w/ a bullet 220-280 grains, then I would say it would be a good round for WT-deer. I would wonder how accurate this round would be in auto vrs a revolver.

About 5-6 years back, I individual in this forum name "ban" something had posted some load data with using 260+ grain .453dia bullets in the super with good published results. I have some of his load data that he drafted up when I briefly had a SS aftermarket bbl and a glock 21.

Thanks. I have heard about the 230-260gr. .45 cast slugs going around 950-1100fps having good effects on deer size game. I imagine my Glock 21SF with a 6" barrel and the .45 Super loads would give fairly hot .45 Long Colt performance at ranges 50yds. and under.
I was wondering what were the real world experiences that someone might have had with this load. I know the 10mm is an effective round on deer, so the .45 Super, should be just as good or better, considering it throws a bigger and heavier slug at about the same velocities.

noway
07-17-2010, 18:54
Get out and try it out and report back.

If you can search on ban login name, he was taking the right direction with developing the 45super in a super performing round.

I don't think it has caught on the handgun hunting crowd & reports would be sparse if any for real life results, due to stiff competition against the 45colt , 45colt ruger-only loads and 44magnum. Then factor in the new magnums that have came up ( 460 and 500mag )

vafish
07-18-2010, 20:02
I also have no experience with the .45 super but have used heavy loaded .45 colt in the TC Contender and Ruger Blackhawk.

From what I can see of .45 super handloads compared to my old loads the .45 super is running about 50-100 fps slower. But, it still should work fine on smaller eastern deer inside 100 yards.