How Important is the Gun's Feel? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How Important is the Gun's Feel?

BayouGlocker
07-17-2010, 20:56
This could be simply in my head, but gun shopping (no, I've still not gotten the cash to make the purchase... :crying: ) some 1911's feel better in my hand than others.

For instance, in my hand the Springfield GI "felt" better than the RIA and the Taurus 1911s.

And the Kimber Aegis (sp?) felt about the same as a customized Colt "race gun", but better than a (if my memory serves me right) Dan Wesson (???) officers' model.

The Kimber *Super Carry Ultra just felt good, as did a 5" barreled Kimber wit CT laser grips, but I don't know what model it was....

A Sig 1911 felt awkward in hand. Like it was supposed to feel like one thing, but something was missing?

I've divided these based on what store I was in. The same shop carried the GI as the Taurus and RIA, and so on and so forth.... So is this purely my bias towards certain brands coming out in how they feel in my hand? Or is there an actual, perceivable difference in feel between these different guns? Could it be differences in the grip panels? Or the grip safeties?

I ask, because if I order a Kimber Pro Carry II online, I'll have never actually picked up one. And there's no where available for me to test shoot these firearms. Apparently, I am the ultimate 1911 noob. :whistling:

Ruggles
07-17-2010, 21:01
Grips on 1911 can make a huge difference in feel, to me at least. There are some differences in other areas among 1911 as well that can make them feel different in the hand. So you are not imagining it at all :)

KiloBravo
07-17-2010, 21:24
A gun that fits your hand better and is more comfortable will be one you carry and shoot much more often than one you hate the feel of. Therefore, I would say it is pretty important.

Of course, you can master any firearm with enough practice, and overcome some potential ergo. issues.

I have large hands, and it seems most single stack 1911s fit my hand like a glove. It feels just like an extension of my arm. :supergrin:

RonS
07-18-2010, 09:05
Grips and the shape of the front strap, SA changed theirs several years ago, it used to be somewhat different from the traditional radius, if I remember right, they used a larger radius, which made the front strap wider and flatter, kind of bringing the corners forward.

Beavertails feel funny to me too, but that is something else again.

Big_Drunk
07-18-2010, 14:58
Grips and the shape of the front strap, SA changed theirs several years ago, it used to be somewhat different from the traditional radius, if I remember right, they used a larger radius, which made the front strap wider and flatter, kind of bringing the corners forward.

I'm glad you posted that, because I thought I remembered that in years past, the SA grip felt "longer" from front to back. Then I came to believe that I just remembered it wrong.

WHEW!!! I gotta keep one step ahead of the guys with the white lab coats and butterfly nets!:rofl:

ctfireman
07-18-2010, 16:28
Feel should be a huge factor. Grips will definitley make a difference too.

Cerebrus
07-18-2010, 16:42
Feel is a huge factor for me.. there is something about the 1911 that just feels natural in my hand. Big reason why I never bought a Glock.. those things just dont feel right in my hand.. its like handling a brick ergonomically wise for me.. My Blackhawk feels like an extension of my wrist.. My USP is the same way as is my XD... I do not like to shoot guns that are not comfortable for me, not sayin I can't its just not a pleasant experience is all

hackinpeat
07-18-2010, 16:46
I think feel ought to be on your top 10 list of deal makers/breakers. when I did my shopping I broke it down into several categories and rated all the guns I looked at on a spreadsheet i made on a 10 scale (yes... I am a bit of a nerd.) If the grip scored less than 7 out of ten I gave it a firm NO. For me the springfield XD was the best feeling gun, the glock was second. I'd have to find my sheet to tell you how the rest of the scores were on the two...

I think I passed on it because I like the customizing you can do to the glock, and the fact that I can easily have a full size grip with a $8 mag extension. I think weight also played a major role.

jrs93accord
07-18-2010, 16:46
With all the 1911s I have, there are several that may "feel" a little better than others. However, that is never an issue when I buy one. Any subtle differences are not noticed when I start shooting. Therefore, when it comes to a 1911, I would say that "feel" is not an issue.

Hokie1911
07-18-2010, 17:29
I would think "feel" in a 1911 is kind of subjective. No matter what size frame, you can completely change a gun's feel, depending on grip texture, grip thickness, FS/MSH texture, etc...all of which can be altered or completely changed.

Spiffums
07-18-2010, 17:54
Grips a biggie. Sometimes the cut out in the grip for the mainspring housing pin just hits my palm a certain way and annoys the devil out of me.

GunFighter45ACP
07-19-2010, 10:43
'feel' does mean ALOT to me. Not in just how 1 feels different than another, but the weight & balance come into play as well, especially w/1911s. Compare the difference between same size steel & alloy frames. Then slap in an 8rd mag w/230grs vs. a 7rd mag w/185s. It all can add up to what is the best choice for you.

mrsurfboard
07-19-2010, 11:45
Very, very important. My duty weapon is a G22. I hate the grips and could never shoot that weapon well. In comparison, the grips of the 1911, my Sig P225 and my slim line G36 are comfortable and I shoot those weapons well.

SagKC
07-20-2010, 14:22
'feel' does mean ALOT to me. Not in just how 1 feels different than another, but the weight & balance come into play as well, especially w/1911s. Compare the difference between same size steel & alloy frames. Then slap in an 8rd mag w/230grs vs. a 7rd mag w/185s. It all can add up to what is the best choice for you.

Ditto...:upeyes:

RonS
07-20-2010, 17:04
When you are shooting something as awesome as a 1911, the subtle little things make a difference. No one talks about "feeling the road" in a LeSabre.