Thunderbird won't go [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird won't go

Generalcarry
07-18-2010, 07:19
I have windows 7, downloaded TB and now can't get rid of it. Tried control panel>uninstall and search to manually uninstall with no luck.
Any ideas? Thx

JimmyN
07-18-2010, 08:33
I never heard of not being able to uninstall Thunderbird. Is it not listed under installed programs, or uninstalling doesn't do anything?

The program files are located in the usual "Program Files" folder.

But just like many other programs uninstalling it doesn't remove the user files. I guess software designers leave that in case you change your mind and want to re-install it.

In Win7 those are located at C:\Users\[userName]\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird. That folder will contain all your config and mail files. Note that this may be 'hidden', so you may have to set the option to view hidden files/folders in order to see it.

AmericanGunWorks
07-18-2010, 09:30
Doesn't thunderbird have an uninstall option in its start/programs folder?

Generalcarry
07-18-2010, 12:18
Doesn't thunderbird have an uninstall option in its start/programs folder?

Sure does, it's right under Mozilla Firefox. I can highlight Thunderbird and use un-install on the tool bar or, right click and uninstall and get .....ZERO. I tried going into installed programs under my name and uninstalling it manually there, but nothing.

JimmyN
07-18-2010, 13:55
Did you delete the files in "Program Files" yet?
Did you delete your user information in your "Appdata" folder yet?

If you delete those you've uninstalled it, and actually "uninstalled" more than the uninstaller will do since it will leave the files in your Appdata folder intact. Uninstall won't remove any registry entries anyway, as they will be overwritten when you install another email client. Thunderbird doesn't load any files at startup from the registry, that's why you can run it as a standalone program from a thumbdrive. The registry entries are primarily just associations and the location of the uninstall program, which is helper.exe in the Thunderbird program files /uninstall/ folder.

The entry will still remain in Add/Remove Programs. You can remove that by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. That's where Windows maintains the list that appears in Add/Remove programs. You can delete the key labeled Mozilla Thunderbird.

Generalcarry
07-20-2010, 04:11
Did you delete the files in "Program Files" yet?
Did you delete your user information in your "Appdata" folder yet?

If you delete those you've uninstalled it, and actually "uninstalled" more than the uninstaller will do since it will leave the files in your Appdata folder intact. Uninstall won't remove any registry entries anyway, as they will be overwritten when you install another email client. Thunderbird doesn't load any files at startup from the registry, that's why you can run it as a standalone program from a thumbdrive. The registry entries are primarily just associations and the location of the uninstall program, which is helper.exe in the Thunderbird program files /uninstall/ folder.

The entry will still remain in Add/Remove Programs. You can remove that by going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall. That's where Windows maintains the list that appears in Add/Remove programs. You can delete the key labeled Mozilla Thunderbird.

I had other problems I had to iron out but I appreciate your advice. I'll be trying it today. I'm still stumbling around this Windows 7.

Generalcarry
07-21-2010, 14:53
I finally got rid of Tbird, I had to reinstall it to uninstall it!