Child Education... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Child Education...

brzusa.1911
07-18-2010, 09:04
I know this is not a 1911 related thread, but since I spend most of my time here and am more familiar with the members hanging out here than on other threads I thought I would give it a try.

You parents out there, how do you educate your children on firearms? I mean not just exposing them and training them how to shoot, but making sure that when you are not around the child will be safe if he/she comes around a gun. I keep my firearms secured from my kid, a floor safe for the guns I am not carrying and a safelock, where I store my carry gun when at home, easily available on a place where my kid cannot reach. My concern is when my son starts going to friends house and their parents don't keep their guns safely and my son comes across them along with his little friends.

Big_Drunk
07-18-2010, 13:36
There...it's OK now!

You are very wise to begin thinking about this now.

There are things you can do, but it's going to require some cooperation by your kids. From the earliest ages they can comprehend, teach them, if they encounter a gun (or even what they suspect is a real gun); a) get away from it, and b) tell the grown-up in charge. Drill the children on this and quiz them, making them tell you the two rules.

Go so far as to conduct role playing exercises where you pretent to be a kid trying to entice them to come look at their mom or dad's gun. Let them know that there could be some peer pressure involved and let them practice facing it or practice what they will say (eg-leave that alone) while they are going to get the grown up in charge. It sounds extreme, but we are talking about children's lives.

Now you have the added issue of kids who have toy guns around...like you and I did. You can teach your children ways to differentiate guns from toys. The appearance and the weight are big indicators. Unload, unload and unload a Glock or SA with a tan or camo grip to show them how many "looks" a real gun can have and how much plastic is used. Take them to Academy and let them look at revolvers and very small real guns so they know what they are avoiding.

Take them to a rural area and have them watch (take hearing protection) you shoot a melon or something that will come apart so they can see and know the destructive power and how it is not like a cartoon. It's real and permanent. And then Drill, drill, drill...what do you do if you see a gun somewhere? What will you do and say if a friend wants to show you a gun. Let them know you know it is a difficult situation to tell a friend NO and then tell a grown-up, but let them know they'll be protecting themselves and the friend and will be rewarded by you if they do it.

Finally, tell them they can, with your supervision and instruction see a "1911" anytime they want...and NEVER let them down. It will remove some of the mystery and curiosity. Your a good Dad to think about this. GREAT JOB!!!

brzusa.1911
07-18-2010, 13:59
There...it's OK now!

You are very wise to begin thinking about this now.

There are things you can do, but it's going to require some cooperation by your kids. From the earliest ages they can comprehend, teach them, if they encounter a gun (or even what they suspect is a real gun); a) get away from it, and b) tell the grown-up in charge. Drill the children on this and quiz them, making them tell you the two rules.

Go so far as to conduct role playing exercises where you pretent to be a kid trying to entice them to come look at their mom or dad's gun. Let them know that there could be some peer pressure involved and let them practice facing it or practice what they will say (eg-leave that alone) while they are going to get the grown up in charge. It sounds extreme, but we are talking about children's lives.

Now you have the added issue of kids who have toy guns around...like you and I did. You can teach your children ways to differentiate guns from toys. The appearance and the weight are big indicators. Unload, unload and unload a Glock or SA with a tan or camo grip to show them how many "looks" a real gun can have and how much plastic is used. Take them to Academy and let them look at revolvers and very small real guns so they know what they are avoiding.

Take them to a rural area and have them watch (take hearing protection) you shoot a melon or something that will come apart so they can see and know the destructive power and how it is not like a cartoon. It's real and permanent. And then Drill, drill, drill...what do you do if you see a gun somewhere? What will you do and say if a friend wants to show you a gun. Let them know you know it is a difficult situation to tell a friend NO and then tell a grown-up, but let them know they'll be protecting themselves and the friend and will be rewarded by you if they do it.

Finally, tell them they can, with your supervision and instruction see a "1911" anytime they want...and NEVER let them down. It will remove some of the mystery and curiosity. Your a good Dad to think about this. GREAT JOB!!!

Thank you sooooo very much. I have printed this to run over and over again with my wife and son. Thanks again.

BayouGlocker
07-18-2010, 15:15
Finally, tell them they can, with your supervision and instruction see a "1911" anytime they want...and NEVER let them down. It will remove some of the mystery and curiosity.

+1 In my opinion, when they're a little bit older, let them know any time they want, you can go to the range and shoot. Loading a single round into a .22 and letting them pull the trigger while you hold the gun is also a great introduction. My first experience with a handgun, my dad was holding a .38 Spl revolver. It was loud and kinda scary, but his .22 mag was fun. I spoze he went in the wrong order? :dunno:

Hokie1911
07-18-2010, 19:46
My little ones are 4 & 2, so them I'm not worried about. My 12 year old on the other hand has been well educated on respecting firearms for what they are. He understands the safety, function, and proper handling. He has had plenty of hands on time with mine. I'd rather eliminate the curiosity factor if/when he may be at a friend's house and his buddy decides to show him is dad's handgun and how to react to that situation should it ever happen.

That being said, I keep mine in my bedside table locked up. I use a Gunvault Nanovault300 for the time being until I can get something a nicer. I prefer it for the combination lock vs key.