Extending wireless signal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Extending wireless signal?

fireguy129
07-18-2010, 10:04
guys, whats the easiest way to extend the wireless signal from a wireless router? Fire station has a rough signal in the meeting room. Router is in the chief's office, maybe 40' away, but on the other side of a cinder block fire wall. What should I look for? Prefer something wireless, otherwise it would be just as easy to move the router to a more central location.

AmericanGunWorks
07-18-2010, 10:39
Apple AirPort Extreme as base station and then use a few Apple Airport Express routers as extenders. Also has the benefit that you can hook up usb printers/harddrives to the router and share them over the network.

Expresses also have audio out jacks so you can play music off itunes and stream them to other routers in the area.

And being an apple they are SUPER simple to setup and maintain

dotsun
07-18-2010, 16:00
You want something like this: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=wireless+range+expander&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=5872740843227684656&ei=L3lDTKSPOIH68Aali7HDDw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CCkQ8wIwAQ#

srhoades
07-18-2010, 17:38
40' is not too bad. Just get a wireless access point and run a cat 5 cable to it. Set the SSID and encryption key the same as the router. For super cheap cat5 cables go to www.monoprice.com

kc8ykd
07-18-2010, 19:20
40' is not too bad. Just get a wireless access point and run a cat 5 cable to it. Set the SSID and encryption key the same as the router. For super cheap cat5 cables go to www.monoprice.com

With this scenario, one would want to make sure that both AP's were using different channels, and not just 1 & 2, like 1 & 3, since they overlap a bit.

There might be issues tho, penetrating the cinder block fire wall, code/safety-wise, without knowing the codes myself, i would be hesitant to punch a hole in it without further investigation.

Dotsun's recommendation for a range extender is the route i would go, along with a replacement directional antenna for the existing AP.

fireguy129, if you can supply the make and model of the existing access point, it would be pretty easy to find a compatible replacement antenna, they're pretty cheap, but the connector type is pretty specific based on the existing equipment (SMA vs. BNC connector).