Public defense legal consequences? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Public defense legal consequences?

Omega Hermit
07-18-2010, 10:41
When I started driving my dad told me the best way to be prepared for a situation is to imagine it ahead of time, plan your reaction, and be ready for the consequences. I have taken this advice to heart and use it in every aspect of my life, I try to plan ahead as much as possible however there are some things that just can't be planned.

That said, here's my situation. First off let me state this is all hypothetical. Let us suppose I happen to be in a public arena, just for the sake of argument we will go with my employer, Menards. I frequently find myself there on my day off, buying things for the house, etc. and was pondering a situation. The Menards where I work has been robbed several times, almost always at the Service desk(I assume because there is usually only one girl working up there and it's isolated from much of the store.) So let's say I am in on my day off and notice strange behavior at the service desk. Say this person robbing us pulls a weapon of any kind, knife, gun, bat, bomb, w/e. Are there laws against stopping such a person dead in their tracks(for instance a double tap to the chest). Should I be shooting to wound; this is an idea I cannot wrap my mind around. What would be the legal consequences of taking action, possibly deadly, in the given situation?

Thanks in advance for your knowledge and opinion. Sorry if this is the wrong forum(is it? redirect please?)

Mas Ayoob
07-19-2010, 00:09
Omega Hermit, your hypothetical goes immediately from unspecified "strange behavior at the service desk" to an automatic assumption of an armed robbery in progress. Not enough to work with.

The "what if" scenario threads work better in one of the other forum sections, where everyone can chime in and details and conditional branching develop with several people taking part. Probably won't work here in GATE, where the format is clear-cut questions that lend themselves to relatively clear-cut answers.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Mas