Which would you use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Which would you use?

OldArcher
07-18-2010, 21:39
Hi, Mas!

I'm torn between using Winchester 230gr JHP PDX-1, and Magtech First Defense 165gr SCHP, both in .45acp. I have a G21 and G30, both with the threaded barrels from LWD. So far, I've been carrying the G21 with the PDX-1s, and the G30 with the Magtech SCHP... Both weapons and ammo, intended to thread the needle, performance-wise... Faster/lighter ammo, for the G30, slower/heavier bullet, for the G21.

Is this the right way to go, or just pick one, and stay with it, as I carry both weapons, all the time...

Thanks in advance,

OldArcher, out...

Mas Ayoob
07-19-2010, 08:08
Haven't run across any actual shooting cases with either one. I'd be inclined toward a high-tech 230 grain JHP that's both engineered to open up out of a shorter barrel -- Federal HST, Remington Golden Saber, Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger. This will also allow you to train with less expensive 230 grain ball and have the same recoil, trajectory, etc. after you've confirmed your guns will be 100% with JHP.

best,
Mas

OldArcher
07-19-2010, 09:36
I appreciate the rapid response, Sir.

I've lots of 230gr hardball, same factory ballistics as the PDX-1. That I've done, using one in practice for the other. That's a great way to conserve, and get used to recoil, sight picture, ect...

However, is there a light weight .45acp that you'd recommend? The Magtech is a 165gr solid copper (VERY) large hollow point. Higher velocity should make-up for shorter barrel of the G30, vis-a-vis the 230gr PDX-1 out of the G21, shouldn't it? OR, as sometimes happens, I'm *ugh, gasp, cringe,* wrong?

Had been carrying two 92FS', but due to physical condition deteriorating, opted for lighter weapons with more "punch." Carry G30 on weak side, either in OWB, or on off-ankle, and G21 in strong side IWB. Recoil is not yet a factor in handguns, but no longer able to use shoulder weapon on weak side... Most distressing... As right hand/left eye dominant, this makes using my left side nearly impossible for long guns, but still able to shoot pistols with either hand, squinting right eye...

In other words, I have to maximize what I have left, and that's transitory...

As before, I really appreciate your input, wisdom, and experience. Your presence here, and what you so readily give, is life saving, I'm sure.

May you and yours always be safe, well, happy, and forever, free...

OldArcher, out...

P.S. On the second reading of In The Gravest Extreme, and second on StressFire. Outstanding... Many thanks, Sir... So far, shot placement and situational awareness stand-out. Those, and training, practice, practice, and still more practice... I'm too simplistic, I know, so I'll apologize now... Take care... OA