Lights... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lights...

HoldHard
07-19-2010, 14:06
We have a local competition called "3 Gun" that includes pistol, rifle and shotgun. The range has built a dark house as one of the stages. There is an assigned range officer that runs the stage so no one gets to see where the targets are, keeping everyone on an equal basis.

The inside is completely dark, like inkwell black. The lights are remote controlled by the range officer to assure safety if a gun malfunctions or something else goes wrong. At the competion of the stage, he can turn on the lights to visually verify that the weapon is unloaded, chamber indicators inserted for rifles and pistols are safely reholstered.

OK... now to the question.

What type of weapon mounted light or hand-held lights (in case a backup light is required) does the GT community recommend? Please include real world use along with your recommendations.

The reason? I invested a significant amount of money into a name-brand gun manufacturer's mounted light. It came off the weapon on the fourth shot. I had to fish around on the floor to find it and held it on my off-hand for the remainder of the stage....

Tell me what works and what doesn't work.

I'll start. The H&K Utility Tactical Light doesn't stay on a G35 worth a damn. The reason: The mount consists of a piece of plastic that slides vertically, pressing the rail mounts together. Not the best design to hold on during rapid double taps....

HH

JASV.17
07-19-2010, 14:09
You want a Streamlight TLR-1.

Thunderbolt56
07-19-2010, 18:45
You want a Streamlight TLR-1.

But what about hand helds?

I'm with the OP here in that there seems to be a glut of "tactical" flashlights on the market selling for as little as $50 up to as much as $300+. My questions:

1. Why such a difference in price?
2. Are the pricier ones worth it?

RayB
07-19-2010, 18:53
I'd recommend...

Streamlight TLR-1 C4:- This light uses a set screw mount that can be tightened with a coin. That should settle any "stay put" issues!

Insight WX150:- Great light for the money--mine locks up tight on our G17, G19 and G21!

--Ray

bikerdog
07-19-2010, 19:01
I'd say the first choice would be the Streamlight TLR-1 or the surefire 300. but there both kinda spendy insight make a good light as well and I've run it on my 35 with no problems for over 1000 rounds.

As far as hand held go with the surefire g2 or g3 with the LED lamp. their bright and last for several hours saving money on the battries in the long run.

j-glock22
07-19-2010, 19:13
Streamlights hold well on mine. I've had the TLR-1 and currently TLR-3, stays put after several hundred rounds of standard and hot projectiles.

Aceman
07-19-2010, 19:38
I'll start. The H&K Utility Tactical Light doesn't stay on a G35 worth a damn. The reason: The mount consists of a piece of plastic that slides vertically, pressing the rail mounts together. Not the best design to hold on during rapid double taps....

HH

Ok - this is just a thought; The problem here is either the light, or the gun. You seem to have automatically assigned blame to the latch on the light. I have an Insight M3 (generic HK UTL), which is actually mounted on an HK. I have shot THOUSANDS (?) of rounds from slow fire single to emptying 15 round mags fast. Never a blink.

So to me it's obvious. The Glock is junk - the light works fine on decent pistols. Replace the Glock with a USP .40 - good to go! :rofl:

If that doesn't work - and you want to stay with name brand lights...I believe Glock actually makes lights for Glocks. Just saying...

crazypilot
07-19-2010, 20:10
Streamlight TLR1 C4 or the Surefire X300.

JASV.17
07-20-2010, 06:14
But what about hand helds?

I'm with the OP here in that there seems to be a glut of "tactical" flashlights on the market selling for as little as $50 up to as much as $300+. My questions:

1. Why such a difference in price?
2. Are the pricier ones worth it?

Hand held, you want a Surefire G2 LED, around $40-$50 at Lowes.

Price difference comes from brand name, output, durrability, options etc. Are they worth it, well, that's too broad a question. The answer, for the most part and within reason, is yes. A $50 Surefire will be night and day to a $10 Maglite.

HoldHard
07-20-2010, 08:04
So to me it's obvious. The Glock is junk - the light works fine on decent pistols. Replace the Glock with a USP .40 - good to go! :rofl:Had one... (that's how I ended up with the light) and sold it. Bought the G35 with the money.

What is the consensus for a light / laser combination? The TLR2 with C4?

HH

Aceman
07-20-2010, 18:07
Had one... (that's how I ended up with the light) and sold it. Bought the G35 with the money.

What is the consensus for a light / laser combination? The TLR2 with C4?

HH

See - now thre was your first mistake. You assumed the problem was the gun! That's a heck of platform for .40! Get the .40 back, put the light on it where it belongs, and then practice practice practice!!!!

Don't know about the combo - but to me insight vs streamlight is flip a coin. eithr works as well as the other IMO.

RayB
07-20-2010, 18:30
The SureFire X300 is one hell of a nice weapon light; but it is about as much as you can spend; and it is arguably worth it!

I own the SureFire X200s A & B, and the product's designs are slick, and their construction quality-wise is elaborate. SureFire is the Rolex of weapon lights! Clearly, this stuff is designed for battlefield use, and it shows!

Given all of this, if price matters, I'd urge anybody to look at the Insight WX150. I own an Insight XTI Procyon, which the WX150 replaces, and it compares most favorably with my SureFire X200B--at over $100.00 less!

I've examined the TLR-1 C4, and while it appears to be less hardened than the SureFire or Insight, it is nonetheless a very nice weapon light with some great features, at a great price. The set-screw mount is a strong point for or against, depending on the shooter!

--Ray

Lampshade
07-20-2010, 19:15
I recently bought a TLR1 s. I was so impressed that I then bought a TLR 3.

Then I lucked out and found a used TLR2 for $100.

I love these lights.

AZBru88
07-20-2010, 19:20
I have a TLR-2 on my night stand gun. Had a problem at first (wrong insert) and it moved. Put the Glock insert on the TLR-2 no more problems!:embarassed: I love it, would probably add the s model now with the strobe. I've put over 2K through the gun with no problems at all. (G17).

MrMurphy
07-21-2010, 10:52
Handheld: G2 from Surefire or better (E2D is significantly more expensive but brighter).

Pistol: X300

Rifle: G2, G3, E2D LED or best of all, Surefire Scout or Mini-Scout.

Used all of the above but the X300 daily for 3 years of working in/around buildings, bunkers, aircraft, vehicles, tunnels, portapotties and hangars searching them with white light in handheld/rifle mounted and in addition to night vision.

Jose 357
07-21-2010, 11:54
Hi,

The weaponlight TLR-1 is a fine choice and they really make 155ish Out the front lumens.

The Surefire Z2 has an awesome combat ring for pistol shooting. If you want to get crazy you can purchase a oveready.com light engine with 3 XP-G R5's. Its a P60 drop-in that just drops in and cost $160ish, but you have to get on the waiting list.

I can test lights for real out the front lumens and had a direct drive sample sent to me. It makes a real 1260 OTF lumens. :wow:

considering most 1100 lumen ebay or other P7/MC-E/SST-50 lights make about 400~600 real lumens its absolutely insane that the new XP-G tripples make that much.

check it out:
http://www.oveready.com/led-light-engines/triple-xpg-p60-regulated-single-level-drop-in-3-5-9-5v-/prod_163.html

Boeydafunk
07-21-2010, 19:43
I have an X300 with a pressure pad on my 35. Never an issue and one hand activation, both on and off, when needed.
DaFUnk