over penetration real [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : over penetration real

1canvas
07-20-2010, 06:32
my question is, is over penetration really an issue with self defense pistols using premium bonded hollowpoints.
i have been looking at the 357sig and i know its a high energy round. i am concerned that it might be to high energy both in over penetration of non COM hits and possible misses. better yet is the energy/penetration level that much higher than say 9mm, .40, and .45cal. defense rounds.
thank you.

Mas Ayoob
07-20-2010, 14:17
It's theoretically possible for any good bullet to over-penetrate if you get an edge hit, or perhaps a lung shot through intercostal spaces on a skinny, anorexic junkie. However, today's premium JHP rounds are indeed designed for optimum penetration and to stay in the felon's body, which is after all the only safe backstop, tactically speaking.

One department I'm aware of that has had well over a dozen shootings with .357 SIG (125 grain Gold Dot, SIG-Pro pistols) tells me every bullet has been found either in the attacker's body on the opposite side, or in his clothing, or on the ground a few feet behind him. I often carry that load -- am carrying it today in a Glock 31 in fact, and have been all month -- and am confident that it is not prone to over-penetration.

best,
Mas