A question for the collectors [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A question for the collectors

samuse
07-20-2010, 07:09
How do ya'll define collection? A lot of people have collections, but to me a collection would consist of a certain genre or maybe a set. Or if a "collection" was worth more than each gun individually.

I can see a pattern in Bac's collection, I think he pretty much has the best representation of each gun in a class or pricerange. Or maybe he's just buying one of every gun ever made. In the history of the world:supergrin:.

I've seen that jrs has the G.I. guns and that he's catching up with Bac. Some people just like a certain brand, or whatever. I know everyone has their reasons for their next gun gun. Just wanted to see what everyone thought.

I don't consider my guns a collection at all. If you looked in my safe, you'd say "Hey there's some decent, maybe even nice guns in here, but what's with all the Glocks? And why is there two of almost everything?"

jrs93accord
07-20-2010, 07:56
A collection is a what you make it. If you have amassed say 20 guns, that can be considered a collection of sorts. Typically, a collection follows a theme and sometimes a few. I have 127 guns in my collection, but I have a sub-collections of 1911s, ARs, Aks, FALs, SIGs, Glocks, and WWII weapons. Within my 1911 collection, I have my Colt and Kimber collections. When starting a serious collection, you should have a direction in which you want to take it. Additionally, there is nothing wrong with having a few weapons that are outside of your main emphasis of your collection. I have a couple long guns that were made in the 1950's that do not fit into any of my sub-collections, but because they are military type weapons, they fit into the main theme of my collection.

Big_Drunk
07-20-2010, 08:04
I think you guys have excellent points, and I agree that a collection is what the collector wants it to be.

To me, a collection is two or more firearms. No kidding.

Jim Watson
07-20-2010, 08:46
I think "theme" is the word. A collection has a theme, if that is not there, you have an accumulation.

I also feel that a collection should focus on non-current guns. A number of guns bought out of current catalogs is not a collection in my book. Bac's guns will become a collection as his gunsmiths die off and his manufacturers fold up.

Hokie1911
07-20-2010, 09:02
I have 127 guns in my collection, but I have a sub-collections of 1911s, ARs, Aks, FALs, SIGs, Glocks, and WWII weapons.

:faint:

glock2740
07-20-2010, 09:06
I collect guns, but I don't have any that I don't shoot. None are under glass by any means. :cool:

bac1023
07-20-2010, 18:50
I'm definitely a collector of different sets, but 1911s are my favorite. :supergrin:

I break my collection collection into three main groups: 1911s, non-1911s, and revolvers. :)

wrenrj1
07-20-2010, 18:56
I collect molds, spores, and funguses.

-Egon, "Ghost Busters"

bac1023
07-20-2010, 19:09
I collect molds, spores, and funguses.

-Egon, "Ghost Busters"

:rofl:

Black Cloud
07-21-2010, 03:40
I don't consider my guns a collection at all. If you looked in my safe, you'd say "Hey there's some decent, maybe even nice guns in here, but what's with all the Glocks? And why is there two of almost everything?"

I fall into this group.

bac1023
07-21-2010, 04:25
I've never been ashamed to call myself a collector. Its just what I do. :cool:

I enjoy collecting every bit as much as shooting and then some.

samuse
07-21-2010, 05:59
I've never been ashamed to call myself a collector. Its just what I do. :cool:

I enjoy collecting every bit as much as shooting and then some.

I don't know why you would. Anyone who thinks this is more than a hobby is a little too serious about it. Unless your LE/Mil.

bac1023
07-21-2010, 06:19
I don't know why you would. Anyone who thinks this is more than a hobby is a little too serious about it. Unless your LE/Mil.

Yep.

Its certainly my #1 hobby. :cool:

Rinspeed
07-21-2010, 07:44
Yep.

Its certainly my #1 hobby. :cool:

That's only because you don't have any money left for anything else. :rofl: :tongueout:

Hokie1911
07-21-2010, 07:52

Never really understood that. Why own multiples of the same Glock? Parts are inexpensive and readily available. Just curious.

bac1023
07-21-2010, 08:07
Never really understood that. Why own multiples of the same Glock? Parts are inexpensive and readily available. Just curious.

Yeah, I never own two of the exact same model.

I do own several Colt Pythons, but they're all different finish/barrel length combinations.

I guess I could see people buying multiples of the same Glocks model if they were interested in collecting the different generations. However, even if I were a Glock collector, I'd be sure to have all the models first before I started buying duplicates.

Hokie1911
07-21-2010, 08:40
Yeah, I never own two of the exact same model.

I do own several Colt Pythons, but they're all different finish/barrel length combinations.

I guess I could see people buying multiples of the same Glocks model if they were interested in collecting the different generations. However, even if I were a Glock collector, I'd be sure to have all the models first before I started buying duplicates.

Yeah the Gen1, 2, 3, 4 makes sense...

eddief4
07-21-2010, 09:13
I look at it as a Firearm collection as a whole. :wavey:

bac1023
07-21-2010, 09:23
I look at it as a Firearm collection as a whole. :wavey:

Yeah, you have a nice collection yourself, eddie.

MD357
07-21-2010, 09:32
I think "theme" is the word. A collection has a theme, if that is not there, you have an accumulation.

They all go bang. There's your theme. :cool:

I agree with JRS, it is what you make it.

eddief4
07-21-2010, 09:55
Yeah, you have a nice collection yourself, eddie.

Thanks Brian, i'm quite happy with it so far. :wavey:

S9Man
07-21-2010, 10:03
I have a collection that I have divided into 10 catagories: airguns, black powder, .22 pistols, .22 rifles, shotguns, center fire lever & pump rifles, center fire bolt action rifles, center fire semi-auto rifles, center fire semi-auto pistols and revolvers. My smallest catagory is black powder which I own three and the largest catagory is center fire semi-auto pistols, which at present I own 19. My interest has changed quite a bit though my 35 years of firearms ownership. I was interested in old miltary rifles at one point and then shifted more towards pistol and revolvers. I also own a lot of firearms only because it was a good deal or something unique, or not often seen for sale. I do some hunting and have every type of hunting covered with my collection. I also enjoy the hunt at the local gun stores and shops for the good deal on a used classic firearm: a nice old S&W revolver for $200, or a like new Remington Wingmaster from the 70's for $200. I love to plink so anything that's fun to shoot and priced right will catch my attention. The most useless thing in my collection is a CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. It was a deal, well not really after buying brass, reloading dies & bullets. It's been fired 12 times since I've owned it. A friend put 4 rounds through it, my brother put four through it and I put four through it. Not much of a plinker, but I'm ready for an African hunt, which I highly doubt I will ever do.