And you use this O.S. why?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : And you use this O.S. why??

Linux3
07-20-2010, 08:27
A few of use keep saying and saying....
http://blogs.computerworld.com/16559/can_windows_kill_the_internet

http://isc.sans.edu/diary.html?storyid=9181

Follow some of the links and make up your own mind.

TBO
07-20-2010, 08:34
If we could turn back time, the WWW would be designed differently as well.

It was founded with the basic idea of making it as easily accessible to everyone/everywhere. To be completely open, without a thought about Security.

jmho

Linux3
07-20-2010, 09:12
If we could turn back time, the WWW would be designed differently as well.
It was founded with the basic idea of making it as easily accessible to everyone/everywhere. To be completely open, without a thought about Security. jmho

Just right. DARPA, ARPANET, Internet and Worldwide Web were created with OPEN standards and based on FREE exchange of information. Thus security is in the eye of and up to the beholder. Anything less is censorship.

If it was designed differently, aka by Microsoft, you would be paying for every bite exchanged and every piece of code needed to transfer it.

You are saying the whole Internet was designed wrong because Microsoft has problems with it?

TBO
07-20-2010, 09:45
Just right. DARPA, ARPANET, Internet and Worldwide Web were created with OPEN standards and based on FREE exchange of information. Thus security is in the eye of and up to the beholder. Anything less is censorship.

If it was designed differently, aka by Microsoft, you would be paying for every bite exchanged and every piece of code needed to transfer it.

You are saying the whole Internet was designed wrong because Microsoft has problems with it?No sir, not at all, just addressing the fact it was created without a thought about security in mind (in the vein of what malicious hands/brains/fingers would do).

I surmise that if the WWW were designed NOW, with what we have learned/know NOW, it would most likely be a quite different beast (I'm not trying to engage in a Corporate vs Us free people, just design).

Pierre!
07-20-2010, 13:12
Cause I make *good* Benjamines off Windows... And Bill Gates sure can sell computer hardware!!!:cool:

The ONLY secured PC sits alone in a locked room with no network connection - IIRC that would be C2 Security...

The DOMINANT OS will be the one that is hammered hardest regarding security.

I also agree that security was not a second thought as the WWW was built. If was more like a "Oh My Gosh - People are exploiting our network! How will we secure our resources???" - No Plan for security. It was an *open* net from the git go. Wasn't supposed to be accessed in the 'Wild'.

No one asked us BBS SysOps... We coulda clued someone in that there are hackers out there...

TknoGeek
07-20-2010, 14:39
Cause I make *good* Benjamines off Windows...
The DOMINANT OS will be the one that is hammered hardest regarding security.
This is the answer to the OP's trolling post.

This is further proof of folks' incessant desire to instigate religious wars.

kc8ykd
07-20-2010, 14:54
If we could turn back time, the WWW would be designed differently as well...

i'd have made it scratch and sniff instead of text based

IndyGunFreak
07-20-2010, 15:28
This is the answer to the OP's trolling post.

This is further proof of folks' incessant desire to instigate religious wars.

It would be a fast war, he'd just have to send you a rootkit... ;)

IGF

TknoGeek
07-21-2010, 04:59
:tongueout:

TBO
07-21-2010, 08:35

IGF
:laughabove: :animlol: :rofl:

captainstormy
08-03-2010, 09:34
Most people use windows because its what came on their computer when they bought it. There are people, myself included that care a lot about computers, operating systems and such.

Most people however, view the computer as just another appliance not really that different then a microwave or toaster. As long as they can surf the web, check their email, etc etc, they really don't care.

Personally I can't stand windows. I don't hate Microsoft, I actually like a lot of their software aside from windows. Windows however is a horrible mess.