Hypothetical Scenerio With Laser Guide? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Scenerio With Laser Guide?

Mdot
07-20-2010, 14:24
Ok, so I have a Glock for fun and home defense. I was thinking of adding a laser to it. After reading some of the info on recent threads, I decided the Lasermax would probably be the go-to gear.

With that said, I consider myself "responsible" in understanding my state's laws and comply with current regulation. I go to the range twice a month (Little more recently trying out upgrades) to stay in tune with my fire-arm. Should the situation arise, my thought is, a laser would be practical in two ways"

1. Intimidation for the bad guy unlawfuly in my home and posing a threat to my and my family's life.

2. Shot placement...not firing shots guessing and possibly injuring another.

Here is my question. I would assume that most confrontations in the home occur, with you having the upper hand in understanding the layout of your home and knowing where the "Threat" is? So, with the element of surprise being important in confronting the threat, how would you approach (ie-around a corner) with a laser activated?

I know this may sound like common sense, but tactically, would you activate the lasermax, and hold your finger over the laser until you were certain where the unlawful threat is? Waving a laser around your home as you investigate a possible break in does not seem to be the smartest way to go about it. Don't get me wrong, I would never want to be in that situation, nor would I want to fire my weapon to stop a threat if it was not absolutly necessary to preventing harm to myself or family. But I think the laser is justified in letting the criminal clearly understand that there would be no room for error in the aim of the weapon.

Thanks for any input. I just wanted to throw this out there before installing a new gadget into my Glock.

AZBru88
07-20-2010, 14:51
Thats why I prefer Crimson Trace, by placing my finger on the frame it hides the laser dot! I would think you'd have to turn the lasermax on and off! I wouldn't be walking around with my finger in front of the barrel! You might end up losing part of that finger! Plus your grip would be way out of place to get to the trigger quickly!

Mdot
07-20-2010, 15:23
Placing your finger on the frame of the CT turns the light off? I thought it was an auto on when you picked up the weapon?

GeorgiaRedfish
07-20-2010, 15:27
You you place your trigger finger along the frame it blocks the laser. If you are right handed

Glock Coma
07-20-2010, 15:31
lasermax on/off switch replaces the stock slide release lever. It is easily switched on and off with trigger finger safely off the trigger.

kda
07-20-2010, 16:24
There are two main types of CT Lasers. One fits around the back of the pistol grip and indeed, it is easy to hide the beam that emanates from the CT on the back of the grip by using your right index finger.

The other CT Laser, that I prefer, fits in front of the trigger guard with an extension (that fits the bottom of the trigger guard) that runs back to the front of the grip. This model is activated automatically when you pick up the pistol with a grip as to shoot it. But it is quite easy to relax your grip just a tad and this type of laser will turn off until you again tighten your grip as you would when getting ready to fire.

So actually both are easy enough to hide (turn off) if you wish until you are ready to "do the deed".

Great equipment.

Mdot
07-20-2010, 17:14
I just threw down the dough for the rear grip Crimson Trace. Coupon code for $181.00 seems ok. I am sure some are going to chime in and make me feel like a terd because they bought it for half.

I look forward to getting it. I think it is the right choice for me because it looks like it may also help me with the problem I have been having: the slide biting into the webbing of my right hand. Kill two birds with one stone here. Looks like a fun toy and I like their web site.

Now I understand what you mean by placing your hand on the frame. Block the laser--didn't think about that.

0scarM!ke
07-22-2010, 16:44
This is just my two cents being a family man, gun owner, and religious ccw holder and practioner. I myself am having a great dilema over which laser to purchase, opions of either aside, I think both are great products. However
with that being said we must never forget the golden rule of gun safety, never point a loaded weapon at something you don't intend on destroying. This brings me to my point, with either laser system you must still stick to that rule. This is
where a tactical flashlight comes in handy, ID the threat first first then aim with laser on and activated...would you rather point your piece at your son, daughter, or significant other and accidentaly kill them, or blind the bejesus out of them and then reholster your weapon.

With this being said this is where the CT system really shines, with one hand on your weapon with the trigger finger extended and blocking the laser beam, and the other hand is free to operate a tac light, and if and only if a positive threat is identified, then you operate your weapon until the threat no longer has a heartbeat or functioning CNS

Once again just my 2 cents

Mdot
07-22-2010, 19:43
I have never (Knock on wood) had anyone break into my home. But recently, there have been several car break ins in my neighborhood and it seems that the criminals have broken into a neighbor's house while he was at work, mid-day.

I am very concerned with the rising trend of "Home invasions", They are alarming in that they are completely random and can occur in broad daylight with your family present. It seems, these are the most violent of crimes, often resulting in rape and execution-style slayings. Kind of makes me nervous to know that this is happening all across the country. I can only hope, if I am faced with that situation, my reactions are without any hesitation. Having a gun in the home makes me feel better. But I also realize that we live in a letigious society, where the ACLU seems to be the most dangerous enemy to all freedom loving Americans.

I am not so concerned with accidently shooting a family member--I am brimming with common sense. This actually happened recently in Pennsylvania where a man shot his wife in the chest while she was getting a mid-night snack. She was killed. I just purchased the Crimson Trace grip style laser and I look forward to putting it on the Glock. One of my biggest concerns is, if I ever have to use my gun in self-defense, would the laser be used against me should a criminal threatening my life be killed in the process?