G20 with Double Tap 180g problem [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G20 with Double Tap 180g problem

Heartbreaker
07-20-2010, 17:06
A few weeks ago I shot about 100 rounds of Double Tap 180g to make sure it would cycle consistently as it's my preferred defense load. Twice, about halfway through a 15 round mag, the slide locked back. The previous shot extracted fine, and it continued functioning after I released the slide. Unfortunately I wasn't keeping track to determine whether it was the same mag or not, but I've shot many rounds of normal 180g TMJ target loads through all of my mags and never had a single malfunction. Any thoughts?

JR
07-20-2010, 17:37
Its more than likely user caused. The double Tap ammo has a reputation of being hot. Hot ammo generates more recoil. I figure your thumbs were creeping up and accidently activated the slide stop. You can resolve the issue by getting your thumbs up.

Heartbreaker
07-20-2010, 17:58
Didn't even consider that but it makes a lot of sense, I'll be sure to be more conscious of that next time I shoot hot ammo, and try to replicate it to see if that was the problem. Thanks man.

JR
07-20-2010, 18:25
If you recently installed an extended slide stop I would bet the farm that's what happened. Get your thumbs up and you will avoid the issue completely.