Mossberg 590A1 vs. Remington 870 Police [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590A1 vs. Remington 870 Police

azsonic
07-21-2010, 06:32
I want to buy a new shotgun. I already have a Maverick 88 Security and it did pretty fine so far; never had any malfunction yet and and spending about 220$ for it was good for my budget. No that I have more ca$h I can affoard a better one and price does not really matter. From the design I really like the Mossberg 590A1 with the factory ghost sites but heard that many people prefer the Remington 870 Police shotguns.

I will use the shotgun on the range just for fun and at home for selfe defence. Which one would you go for and what are the reasons?

WoodenPlank
07-21-2010, 06:39
They are both great guns. Get a chance to handle both, and take whatever suits you. I prefer the top-mounted safety of the Mossberg over the Remington. My 590 (not an A1, though) has been fantastic.

vafish
07-21-2010, 06:48
It's a Ford vs Chevy debate. Folks are going to get all worked up over their favorite choice.

As Plank said, they both are good.

Big_Grumpy
07-21-2010, 08:57
Pick 'em both up and let each "speak" to you. You can't go wrong with either.

I prefer the Remington. I like my rifle sights as opposed to ghost rings. I've heard that ghost rings ruin your peripheral vision when engaged. I'm sure it's all preference, though.

mixflip
07-21-2010, 10:57
Its all about understanding what you prefer?

Do you prefer...

Aluminum receiver?
Dual extractors?
Tang mounted safety?
Slide release button rear of the trigger guard?
Load gate that tucks up up and away when loading ammo?
Slightly looser tolerance? (more rugged than refined)

or do you prefer...

Steel receiver?
Safety button behind the trigger?
Slide release forward of the trigger guard?
Load gate that is spring loaded and pushes back onto your thumb when loading ammo?
Slightly more refined fit & finish?

Figure out which shotgun belongs to which category and that might help you decide? Both will do exactly what they were designed to do and they both do them well. Its Usually not the guns fault it fails the shooter... its usually the shooter that fails with the shotgun. lol.

Me personally I like the safety button and the slide release both in front of the trigger and a rotating 3 lug bolt head but thats a whole other shotgun not on your list.

azsonic
07-21-2010, 13:06
it seems that both of these are good shotguns what makes the decision even harder. maybe I will take them both.

btw: are the 590a1 and 870 police beeing sold to civilians the same quality as the guns beeing sold to the military and law enforcement agencies?

Victoriagotagun
07-21-2010, 15:41
btw: are the 590a1 and 870 police beeing sold to civilians the same quality as the guns beeing sold to the military and law enforcement agencies?

They are the same.

Ferdinandd
07-22-2010, 21:13
I've owned 870's, not a P model yet, a 590, and a 500. Currently in my stable is a 500 - I actually prefer it to the 590 as it's lighter - and an 870 Tactical. My preference depends on the day of the week. I love them both.

CAcop
07-22-2010, 23:37
They are pretty much the same.

infinite97
07-23-2010, 18:41
the only issue with my 870 tactical is that the cheap finish rusts when i'm shooting clays and sweating my ass off.

HK-N-THE-HOUSE
07-23-2010, 19:47
I have a 870 under the firearms listings. Take a look.

azsonic
07-24-2010, 02:01
I have a 870 under the firearms listings. Take a look.

please give me the link

HK-N-THE-HOUSE
07-24-2010, 03:07
it's right here on Glock Talk under, Firearms Listings.

azsonic
07-24-2010, 03:15
it's right here on Glock Talk under, Firearms Listings.

ok, got it http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1245867

HK-N-THE-HOUSE
07-24-2010, 22:12
I have a 870 under the firearms listings. Take a look. SORRY this is not the place for me to put a plug in for something I have forsale. Again , Sorry it won't happen again.

mitchshrader
07-24-2010, 22:57
The 590A1 is the only mossberg that is mil-spec. It's current issue IIRC. Hard to beat, and I don't own one. I'd be willing to guess that 870s have the degree of popularity in Law Enforcement that they do partly because of 'follow the leader' and partly because mil-spec generally costs more. That would affect LEO budgets more directly than it would the armed services.

DonGlock26
07-25-2010, 08:26
If you get a pistol grip stock, the Mossy safety is hard to get to.

azsonic
07-25-2010, 14:34
If you get a pistol grip stock, the Mossy safety is hard to get to.

yes, that's a real issue, anyhow I am not so fond of pistol grips on shotguns

stopatrain
07-25-2010, 14:41
They are both good pick the one you like best.

K Williams
12-18-2010, 14:29
The 590A1 is the only mossberg that is mil-spec. It's current issue IIRC. Hard to beat, and I don't own one. I'd be willing to guess that 870s have the degree of popularity in Law Enforcement that they do partly because of 'follow the leader' and partly because mil-spec generally costs more. That would affect LEO budgets more directly than it would the armed services.

Current issue is now the Benelli M4...

m24shooter
12-18-2010, 16:19
Current issue is now the Benelli M4...
Not so much.
The most common shotgun is the Mossberg 500. The M1014 is used by the Marines, and that's about it as far as widespread use. Even then, there are still a lot of Mossbergs and the Benelli has not been purchased on a large scale.
The 500 has gotten and still gets the majority of new shotgun purchase orders for the .mil.
As far as the 590 being the only that is MilSpec, not entirely true. There are several types of shotgun (1-3 if I remember right) and several shotguns fit the spec overall, including the 870. The most recent trials did not have a Remington entry for a general purpose shotgun, which is what Mossberg is really saying in their press that says they were the only shotgun to meet the spec. It is technically accurate, but not entirely forthcomming. Even given that the 590 passes the MilSpec it was adopted in lesser numbers than the various 500 models that the .mil uses. The 590A1 was purchased in smaller numbers than that.
The 500 is largely the only shotgun still supported and the other shotguns have been withdrawn and ordered to be turned in.

dc2integra
12-18-2010, 19:13
Its all about understanding what you prefer?

Do you prefer...

Aluminum receiver?
Dual extractors?
Tang mounted safety?
Slide release button rear of the trigger guard?
Load gate that tucks up up and away when loading ammo?
Slightly looser tolerance? (more rugged than refined)

or do you prefer...

Steel receiver?
Safety button behind the trigger?
Slide release forward of the trigger guard?
Load gate that is spring loaded and pushes back onto your thumb when loading ammo?
Slightly more refined fit & finish?

Figure out which shotgun belongs to which category and that might help you decide? Both will do exactly what they were designed to do and they both do them well. Its Usually not the guns fault it fails the shooter... its usually the shooter that fails with the shotgun. lol.

Me personally I like the safety button and the slide release both in front of the trigger and a rotating 3 lug bolt head but thats a whole other shotgun not on your list.
Mixflip pretty much summed it up for you.Go to the gunshop and handle both and see which one you like best

dc2integra
12-18-2010, 19:14
I had the same dilema about a year ago and I ended up with the mossberg they are both great guns though

Deaf Smith
12-19-2010, 06:46
If you are use to a Maverick/Mossberg safety, get the 590A1.

As for pistol grips... only one kind works well. Speedfeed birdshead style. Less recoil and easy to get to the safety.

Deaf

Victoriagotagun
12-19-2010, 20:32
If you are use to a Maverick/Mossberg safety, get the 590A1.

The Maverick's safety is not in the same location as the Mossberg's.

aippi
12-19-2010, 22:25
OMG.... Mil Spec cost more? Mil Spec means "lowest bidder man". Remington did not even enter a weapon for the bid that Mossberg got for supplying pump shotguns to certain Military contracts as they would not lower the quality of their weapon to meet the ceiling price which is what they would have had to do.

The Remington 870 is leading the LE market because, well it's a Remington 870. It's a no brainer if you understand shotguns.

TSAX
12-19-2010, 23:44
It's a Ford vs Chevy debate. Folks are going to get all worked up over their favorite choice.

As Plank said, they both are good.

Well said, I have an 870 but their both excellent choices.

Deaf Smith
12-20-2010, 15:48
Mil Spec means "lowest bidder man".

Well no, Mil Spec means it has to meet their specifications as to size, shape, features, durability, reliability, etc.... And if one meets those specs (after a series of trials)THEN from the list of companies that meet them they will purchase from the lowest bid (as long as you can prove you can produce the number of weapons they require.)

That way they get a tough gun for the lowest price.

Deaf

Jesse Neil
12-23-2010, 22:14
The finish on 870's is pretty terrible and rusts if you look at it funny, and fit and finish seems to be about on par with the nicer Mossbergs nowadays.

I'm a gun salesman at a big box store, and the Remingtons I've seen over the past year or two is making me seriously question my Remington fanboy status. Mainly just cosmetics, they all seem to function fine and when they don't Remington's service is top notch, giving full reports of what they repaired and why there was a problem. Usually it was just user error (such as backwards gas rings on semis). Mossberg sends the guns back and they work, but they give no detail whatsoever about what was wrong and what they did.

I personally love the safety location on Mossbergs, but my primary bird gun is a Beretta o/u so it's just what I'm used to.

I've kicked this question around a fair bit, and the 590 is on my list of guns to get and the 870 is not. I want to want the Remington, but I can't justify paying more for a gun that I don't think is any better, and maybe not as good.

I still am having a hard time forgiving Mossberg for the 935, but I figure that's just one model.

MrMurphy
12-24-2010, 00:02
The milspec thing varies.

The USAF uses the 870 primarily. The older models are a mix, but the newer ones that came in while I was in were part of the MCS system with all the toys and parkerized.

500's get used a lot in the Navy as well as the Army. 590s got a lot of Marine use but they've gone over to the Benelli.

I've owned both brands, i like them both. I'd probably end up with the 870 from more time on the action, but i like the Mossberg safety location, so it's a draw.

mixflip
12-24-2010, 03:08
I owned both. Its all preference...

aluminum receiver vs steel receiver?
single extractor vs double extractor?
blued vs parkerized?
slide release in front of the trigger vs behind the trigger?
safety on the tang vs safety near the trigger?
spring loaded shell elevator vs non spring loaded retractable shell elevator?
bayonet lug cool vs bayonet lug in the way?

and so on and so forth....

aippi
12-24-2010, 09:47
Most of the post refer to the control and appearence and that has very little to do with why I use the 870. You can train to controls.

If you take both weapons and break them down to the componants and lay them out on a table. Pick up each componant and see how it is designed and made. Look at each small part in that componant. Look how all the componants interact to make the weapon operate and the quality of the individual parts.

Pick the one you can see the qualtiy in the componantes and design.

Decide this way and you get the best weapon. Pick by controls and looks and you may not.

Restless28
12-24-2010, 11:20
I split the difference and went with an old Winchester 1300 Defender. :wavey:

If I didn't have the Defender, and I had the funds, I would buy one of aippi's builds. :supergrin:

I'm curious...What does aippi think about the old Defenders as compared to the 870 and 500/590?

wtf0ver
12-24-2010, 12:30
for me personally its the mossberg. i like that i can access the safety, slide release lever, and trigger all without having to alter my grip like i do on the 870. the 870 feels a bit more solid but thats trivial really. both are proven guns.

fpgeek
12-24-2010, 23:03
it seems that both of these are good shotguns what makes the decision even harder. maybe I will take them both.

The only difference between the military and civilian Mossberg shotgun is the military shotguns have metal trigger guards and safety switches. The civilian models use plastic. The 870 is being replaced in the DoD by the Mossberg, but more slowly in the Air Force according to some.

My buddy in another agency had a choice between getting a Remington or a Mossberg. He's a lefty and found the Mossberg's top mount safety more convenient. Our agency has the Remingon 870 across the board and I own a Mossberg. IMHO both are good choices.

hogarth
12-25-2010, 04:59
[QUOTE=fpgeek;16519875]The only difference between the military and civilian Mossberg shotgun is the military shotguns have metal trigger guards and safety switches. The civilian models use plastic.QUOTE]

That's true of the Mossberg 500 and I think 590. The 590A1 is identical to the military one, with metal trigger guards and safety switches. I have one. Definitely metal.

Mr Wasabi
12-25-2010, 06:32
I split the difference and went with an old Winchester 1300 Defender. :wavey:

If I didn't have the Defender, and I had the funds, I would buy one of aippi's builds. :supergrin:

I'm curious...What does aippi think about the old Defenders as compared to the 870 and 500/590?

I recently picked up a Defender for a steal and also have an 870P. I'm going to keep both. Can't hurt to have two awesome shotguns. :2gun:

anubisgodofgods
12-25-2010, 09:28
I have owned 3 Mossbergs, 590-A1, 500 mariner and a 500 cruiser with the pistol grip. I tried to like the Mossberg but just could not do it after owning an 870 as my first shotgun.

I now own a Remington 870P MAX and I love it.

The Mossberg is lighter but has more recoil than the 870. I can shoot 00 buck all day with my 870 and never get a sore shoulder, I can't say that about the Mossberg. I can also shoot several boxes of 1oz high velocity slugs before I start to feel the affects in my shoulder.

Out of the box the 870 action is smoother and has a better trigger. The 870 also has a heavyer barrel with thicker walls so it can take more abuse. The steel receiver is also stonger than the aluminum receiver on the Mossberg. To be fair I need to add that it is unlikely that anyone will shoot enough ammo out of a Mossberg to cause the receiver to ware out.

You stated you are going to use the shotgun at the range and for HD so I would suggest the 870P with the remington R3 recoil pad which is what mine has so I can tell you for a fact that that set up will allow you to shoot heavier loads with little to no discomfort unless you plan to shoot bird shot then it would not matter.

I would also like to point out that my 870 has a tighter shot pattern than any of the Mossbergs I have owend which would be a big plus if you find you have to use it in your home in a self defence situation.

m24shooter
12-25-2010, 10:21
The only difference between the military and civilian Mossberg shotgun is the military shotguns have metal trigger guards and safety switches. The civilian models use plastic.
Not exactly.
The 590 and 500 have plastic/polymer trigger guards and safety buttons. The 590A1 has the metal trigger guard and safety button. There are some small contract runs of the 500 that had featuers similar to the A1 with heavy barrels and mag tube clean outs.
The 500 is the most numerous shotgun in the .mil and outnumbers the 590 and 590A1 contract sales. There are relatively few 590A1s. So there are quite a few shotgun in the .mil with plastic trigger guards and safety buttons. I don't have the figures but since the A1 was not purchased in large numbers by the .mil I would say there are probably far, far more A1s with the metal parts and heavy barrels in civ hands than in the .mil. They just didn't purchase that many of them. Most of the Army's shotguns are the 500 with the 6 round capacity, with some A1s in go-fast hands. Those were the 20" versions and a large number of retro fit kits have turned those 20" guns into 14" breacher versions. The Navy and Marines use the 6 shot A1, with a very few 20" versions.

K.Kiser
12-25-2010, 17:09
Never had any trouble out of my 870's, and none of the 3 have a single spec of rust and none are newer than about 30 years old... They get a wiping of WD-40 about once a year... No experience with the Mossberg, but alot of people like them...