Found an unfired FEG GKK-45...info anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Found an unfired FEG GKK-45...info anyone?

bac1023
07-21-2010, 18:38
I set it aside at my local shop.

I was in there the other day and in the case was what looked to be a brand new GKK45 with beautiful bluing and barely a mark on it. My dealer told me he knew the person who traded it in and was told he never fired it. Upon inspection, I can certainly believe it, as the gun is immaculate inside and out.

These are similar to the double action FEG P9Rs, but are single stack with a larger, but slightly thinner frame. Its all steel and seems very well built. Its like a cross between a Hi-Power and S&W auto.

I believe the 45 version is fairly rare. I don't think I've ever seen one in a shop before and very rarely at a show, if ever. Certainly never in this condition. There isn't even a single model on Gunbroker right now.

I plan to bring it home soon. Its got the box, papers, and everything. I love finds like this and seem to stumble accross them from time to time by pure luck.

Anyone have an opinion on the FEG GKK-45? Anybody have one? Were many built? :dunno:

Seems pretty cool to me. :cool:

Thanks for any info. :wavey:

GlocksterPaulie
07-21-2010, 18:44
Bac,

Congrats on what I think will be an excellent addition to your collection. I did see one about Three years ago while traveling, no way near the condition you tell us this one is in.

I definitely want to see pictures when you get it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/919432333/Guns/Pistols/FEG-Pistols/FEG_GKK_45.htm

Paulie

bac1023
07-21-2010, 19:34
Bac,

Congrats on what I think will be an excellent addition to your collection. I did see one about Three years ago while traveling, no way near the condition you tell us this one is in.

I definitely want to see pictures when you get it.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/919432333/Guns/Pistols/FEG-Pistols/FEG_GKK_45.htm

Paulie

Thanks Paulie. Will do. It does look very nice.

I did see that old auction, as well as an old Gunbroker auction.

Dalton Wayne
07-21-2010, 19:46
I have one, It saved my bacon once out in the forest, when I stepped on huge rattle snake
that's all I will say about it, it jams
Regards
DW

tadbart
07-21-2010, 19:49
wow. when Bac is askin' 'bout a pistol... perhaps this find is goin' to the right collection! congrats!

american lockpicker
07-21-2010, 19:49
I bought a Feg hipower clone after obama got in office and it was nice and reliable. I traded it and an M&P .38 for a used gen 2 G17.

bac1023
07-21-2010, 19:57
wow. when Bac is askin' 'bout a pistol... perhaps this find is goin' to the right collection! congrats!

Thanks.

I really enjoy finds like this.

Titurel
07-21-2010, 22:59
Very cool find! Its hard to get much info on them, other than that people who own them seem to like them. Are you going to shoot it? BTW, my Dad speaks Hungarian if you run into something online and need it translated. I can't even find the FEG website.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 04:34
Very cool find! Its hard to get much info on them, other than that people who own them seem to like them. Are you going to shoot it? BTW, my Dad speaks Hungarian if you run into something online and need it translated. I can't even find the FEG website.

Thanks.

I do plan to shoot it. :)

Berto
07-22-2010, 09:11
I had the PJK9HP (MKII BHP clone), it was very much a solidly built and reliable gun (about 5K through it)

They have very nice bluing as you observed, you'll see more evidence of machine marks inside the slide, but nothing horrible.
I once spoke to Kassnar (importer, KBI) concerning the metallugy of these guns, they are forged 4140 steel frame and slide, FWIW.
Your gun is likely the same.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 15:32
I had the PJK9HP (MKII BHP clone), it was very much a solidly built and reliable gun (about 5K through it)

They have very nice bluing as you observed, you'll see more evidence of machine marks inside the slide, but nothing horrible.
I once spoke to Kassnar (importer, KBI) concerning the metallugy of these guns, they are forged 4140 steel frame and slide, FWIW.
Your gun is likely the same.

Thanks for the info, Berto.

That sounds great. :)

WiskyT
07-22-2010, 15:47
They used to sell the FEG guns, 9mm and 45, at Sports Authority of all places. That was in the early 90's. Like all guns, I wanted one. I didn't have money to buy things I didn't need back then, so I got by with my GP100 and my Lee 1000.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 15:48
They used to sell the FEG guns, 9mm and 45, at Sports Authority of all places. That was in the early 90's. Like all guns, I wanted one. I didn't have money to buy things I didn't need back then, so I got by with my GP100 and my Lee 1000.

Yeah, this one is from 1993, I believe.

rfd339
07-22-2010, 15:58
My local shop had one about a month ago on consignment and the owner was asking $400 for it . It in LNIB condition and looked unfired. It looked well made and would add to your HP style collection. Congrats early.

ronin.45
07-22-2010, 16:54
Sounds like another nice one, Bac.

Good find.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 17:51
Sounds like another nice one, Bac.

Good find.

Thanks Ronin :)

skelley
01-29-2012, 17:30
Nobody has posted to this thread for awhile, so hopefully somebody will read it and get some benefit from this information.

I've had my GKK-45 for a number of years, and have put a lot of rounds through it. Mine is the stainless model, and I'm very happy with it. It's sturdy, tough, and fires well. I use both factory and reload ammo in it, and I think I've only had a couple of stovepipes in all that time. I haven't adjusted the sights in any way, and it is quite accurate. The only thing I have to watch out for is drift to the right as the barrel heats up. This is only a real problem when I do some rapid firing. I don't know if this is common with all of these, or if there is some anomaly with the machining of my barrel. Either way, I have adjusted and live with it.

For those who wonder about grips and parts: It is not a copy of the Hi-Power, so parts and grips do not fit. I didn't like the original grips, so I made a set of my own using Hogue grips for the Hi-Power, liquid rubber, and some creative grinding.

I'm very fond of my GKK-45. I've considered getting rid of it a couple of times, but I just couldn't do it. Double action .45s are not easy to come by.

bac1023
01-29-2012, 18:03
Nobody has posted to this thread for awhile, so hopefully somebody will read it and get some benefit from this information.

I've had my GKK-45 for a number of years, and have put a lot of rounds through it. Mine is the stainless model, and I'm very happy with it. It's sturdy, tough, and fires well. I use both factory and reload ammo in it, and I think I've only had a couple of stovepipes in all that time. I haven't adjusted the sights in any way, and it is quite accurate. The only thing I have to watch out for is drift to the right as the barrel heats up. This is only a real problem when I do some rapid firing. I don't know if this is common with all of these, or if there is some anomaly with the machining of my barrel. Either way, I have adjusted and live with it.

For those who wonder about grips and parts: It is not a copy of the Hi-Power, so parts and grips do not fit. I didn't like the original grips, so I made a set of my own using Hogue grips for the Hi-Power, liquid rubber, and some creative grinding.

I'm very fond of my GKK-45. I've considered getting rid of it a couple of times, but I just couldn't do it. Double action .45s are not easy to come by.

:welcome:

Wow, that's an interesting way to make your first post.

I did pick up the gun a while back and I like it quite a bit. :)

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/007-4.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/008-13.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/013-6.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/010-8.jpg

oldnoob
01-29-2012, 18:19
I had a chance to grab one of this few years ago but let it go. From what I can remember, it's like full size s&w 39 or single stack 59 (depend which way you see them). If I recall, it's PITA to find mag/parts for it.

Nice find bac.

craig19
01-29-2012, 19:47
That looks like a cross between a Smith auto and BHP, two of my favorites autos. That's very interesting. Nice looking gun, thanks for sharing, Brian.

bac1023
01-29-2012, 20:13
I had a chance to grab one of this few years ago but let it go. From what I can remember, it's like full size s&w 39 or single stack 59 (depend which way you see them). If I recall, it's PITA to find mag/parts for it.

Nice find bac.

That looks like a cross between a Smith auto and BHP, two of my favorites autos. That's very interesting. Nice looking gun, thanks for sharing, Brian.

Thanks guys :wavey:

austin_tx
01-29-2012, 20:48
I picked up an unfired/NIB GKK-45 (known as the ACK in Hungary, I believe) a few months ago on a lark. Here are my photos, even though they still don't compare in quality to BAC's. :crying: I'm going to have to monkey with the camera settings and lighting until I can get similar colors and contrasts.

I like the gun. It's certainly not the most refined piece, but the bluing is nicely done for such a cheap gun, and it shoots well, once you adjust to the gritty trigger.

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/austintxlonghorn/FEG%20ACK/DSCN9301-1.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/austintxlonghorn/FEG%20ACK/DSCN9316-1.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/austintxlonghorn/FEG%20ACK/DSCN9297-2.jpg
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/cc407/austintxlonghorn/FEG%20ACK/DSCN9288-2.jpg

bac1023
01-29-2012, 21:14
Very nice ATX

They aren't overly refined, but they are solid pistols.

TRX302
09-07-2012, 06:14
I picked up a GKK a few months ago but haven't had it to the range yet. I bought it from a friend based on his description, without seeing it first.

I'm moderately pleased with it; I'm not sure I would have bought it if I had handled it first. The slide-to-frame fit is much looser than I'm used to; other than that, the workmanship and bluing seem flawless. But it's actually larger than a standard 1911, particularly in the grip, which I find to be awkwardly shaped, even for my large hands. For some reason that bothers the heck out of me.

I've found a couple of spare magazines, but other than that, GKK parts seem to be nonexistent. Well, I knew it was an orphan when I bought it, so I can't complain.

[edit] I went off to do some looking again, and it looks like Gun Parts Corp has a sizeable selection of spares for the GKK. Back when I first looked their site returned nothing. I don't know if they recent;y got parts in, or their site had the gollywobbles when I looked before.

bac1023
09-07-2012, 08:39
I picked up a GKK a few months ago but haven't had it to the range yet. I bought it from a friend based on his description, without seeing it first.

I'm moderately pleased with it; I'm not sure I would have bought it if I had handled it first. The slide-to-frame fit is much looser than I'm used to; other than that, the workmanship and bluing seem flawless. But it's actually larger than a standard 1911, particularly in the grip, which I find to be awkwardly shaped, even for my large hands. For some reason that bothers the heck out of me.

I've found a couple of spare magazines, but other than that, GKK parts seem to be nonexistent. Well, I knew it was an orphan when I bought it, so I can't complain.

[edit] I went off to do some looking again, and it looks like Gun Parts Corp has a sizeable selection of spares for the GKK. Back when I first looked their site returned nothing. I don't know if they recent;y got parts in, or their site had the gollywobbles when I looked before.

I'd sooner compare it to a Hi-Power, which is the gun its loosely based on, not the 1911. It is quite a bit bigger though.

ca survivor
09-07-2012, 11:25
Congrats, it looks like a BHP and a S&W 39 had a baby.

bac1023
09-07-2012, 16:15
Congrats, it looks like a BHP and a S&W 39 had a baby.

Yeah, I guess they do have some traits from both.

Brass
03-11-2013, 22:06
No matter what you think it resembles I personally like the look of it. In fact I will be picking one of these up by the end of April. Very few rounds put through it and it is in excellent condition. Ran into the guy selling it at a local gun show, private owner. Was 13 minutes to close so I got his name and number and have worked out a deal since he is out of state. It should go nicely with my FEG PJK-9HP :)

bac1023
03-11-2013, 23:02
No matter what you think it resembles I personally like the look of it. In fact I will be picking one of these up by the end of April. Very few rounds put through it and it is in excellent condition. Ran into the guy selling it at a local gun show, private owner. Was 13 minutes to close so I got his name and number and have worked out a deal since he is out of state. It should go nicely with my FEG PJK-9HP :)

I like the look of it too :supergrin:

oldcop1971
03-11-2013, 23:12
9mm, picked it up a month or so ago. Had a problem with the bullets rotating nose down and jamming on the feed ramp (HP). Not so much a problem with ball ammo. I put some S&W style followers in the mags and lessened the feeding problem, but still not 100% with HP, almost 100% with ball. I've got to polish the feed ramp and check the mag lips to see if that helps. Nice gun, like the feel of it, hope to be able to get it up to reliable enough for carry and not just range toy status.