What caused this malfunction? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What caused this malfunction?

jethro21
07-21-2010, 19:06
Well I have had the same malfunction twice with my new RIA compact. First time was on the range the other day and today was while going through my department qual.

The firing pin stop slid down, causing a malfunction. The firing pin ended up getting stuck out (extended in the chamber) allowing the firing pin stop slide down. I simply slid it back into place and it functioned fine for several mags.

The first time this happened was before I had taken the gun completely apart. I then completely stripped it and thoroughly cleaned the firing pin, spring and channel. I did not notice anything like a burr or any large amount of carbon build up on the firing pin or in the channel.

Anyway, I did qual with it and with exception to the malfunction, I shot extremely well, 1 ragged hole for the 50 round qual (with firing strings out to 25yrs).

Anyone able to enlighten me on this issue and it's fix?

Thanks,
Jethro

BOGE
07-22-2010, 01:48
...Anyone able to enlighten me on this issue and it's fix?

Thanks,
Jethro

Yes, the FP stop was fitted in the Third World. :supergrin: Send it back ASAP for repair.

captdreifus
07-22-2010, 03:04
Not to be rude, but what dept in AZ authorizes the RIA?

faawrenchbndr
07-22-2010, 05:56
RIA as a professional duty weapon?!

Would NOT be in my first 50 choices!

Quack
07-22-2010, 06:01
Clean out the firing pin channel. The same thing happened with my friends Citadel as it was full of gunk.

jethro21
07-22-2010, 07:16
This is not a duty weapon, it is an off duty weapon. My department issues and authorizes g22 only for duty, but pretty much anything for off duty if it is .38sp to .45acp....if I qualify with it yearly, it becomes a write off. I do intent to carry this gun though after I feel comfortable all issues are solved.

Quack- I will try it, thanks

Quack
07-22-2010, 09:42
FWIW, after we cleared up my friends Citadel (same as RIA Compact Tactical) he used it in a pistol class the next day and put 500rds through it w/o a problem.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/LMI%20Fighting%20Pistol%201/DSC_2068.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/LMI%20Fighting%20Pistol%201/DSC_2071.jpg

jethro21
07-22-2010, 15:55
Well I cleaned out the firing pin channel, scrubbed, shot cleaner into it and scrubbed some more. There wasn't much in the way of dirt and no significant buildup. As I was using a light to see down the channel I could see tool marks in it, nothing outrageous but I suppose the tool marks added with some carbon build up could lead to a malfunction.

I will give it another workout in a week when I get back from a trip.

HAIL CAESAR
07-22-2010, 20:42
Clean the hell out of it. Clean the FP channel. RIA come packed in grease and oil so they won't rust on the tuna boat over.

Order a new FPS and tight fit it. It will only cost you 10 bucks for the part.

That will fix you up.