Want a new 4" for carry, just a few ??'s [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Want a new 4" for carry, just a few ??'s

startat2
07-22-2010, 00:19
I've been looking for a new 4" 1911 to carry. I've got the cash ready to spend, but have found my self in a dilemma. I've been looking at the Kimber covert II. Well made gun, I dig the colors and the checkering, the only bad part is the price. Local gunshop has one for 1300, and I've found them for as cheap as 1150 on gun broker. The other route I have though about going is getting a used Springfield champion, and sending it to the custom shop. With the mods I want, I can get about $200 cheaper. I guess the question is... What do you prefer, one you bought and modded the way you want, or one that has everything out of the box ready to go? Answers and advise would be great!:supergrin:

MD357
07-22-2010, 00:34
The other route I have though about going is getting a used Springfield champion, and sending it to the custom shop. With the mods I want, I can get about $200 cheaper.

This is what I would do. :cool:

startat2
07-22-2010, 00:35
That is what I am leaning towards, but I'm still uncertain...

Quack
07-22-2010, 06:27
I prefer Springfield over Kimbers, so that would be my answer.

drc767
07-22-2010, 06:36
I prefer Springfield over Kimbers, so that would be my answer.

Me too......I am just not a big Kimber fan. The first one I ever had was plagued with one little issue after another. Kind of like death by a thousand paper cuts. I have never got over it, although many people love them and would have nothing else. I would go with the SA Custom shop. You would end up with a better pistol in the end.

faawrenchbndr
07-22-2010, 07:21
The Springfield Custom Shop puts out a very nice quality product!

glock2740
07-22-2010, 07:36
I'm a big Kimber fan and have quite a few. Especially the 4" models. I have had no problems with any of mine, but for the price range that you're looking at, I would also recommend going with the SA. I got lucky with my Kimbers I guess, as I love them, but SA has one hell of a custom shop and if you can have the exact gun you want and for less than the Kimber, then I say go that route.

moredes
07-22-2010, 07:41
I prefer SA over Kimber also. Their warranty service is better. I would suggest finding a used SA on Gunbroker. SA's warranty follows the gun--that is to say, a used gun (no matter its' age) still qualifies for customer service and warranty work with SA. I've dealt with Kimber once. The incident isn't worth mentioning, and I don't mean that in a negative way. I was 'satisfied', but not "happy". I've had a couple experiences with SA and am completely satisfied and happy with their service. (One incident was for a 14-year old, used, M1A Super Match--I had the gun 3 days in its' 14th year when I called and made a claim. They paid shipping back.)

Choose your weapon with an eye towards ergonomics, not options. Each OEM has a different 'feel', and you'll have to live with that when you make your choice. You can always add parts or have steel machined to your desires, but ya gotta be happy outright with how it feels.

After you buy it, shoot it for several months; wear it around the house if you're gonna use it for CCW, so you can get used to it and see if you want all the gizmos that you thought you did... I found that I really didn't like an ambidextrous safety for a carry gun; I was sold and drooling over the option when I bought my first 1911. My carry gun also doesn't have adjustable sights; I wanted that, too, on my first 1911. I had the butt rounded on the CCW gun because the sharp corner bit me sometimes. I learned all that after buying my first 1911, and hadda pay a 'smith to make the pertinent alterations after I learned about myself w/ my first '11.

Finding a *good* gunsmith will take a LOT of research and word-of-mouth recommendations. There are lots of nationally-known 'smiths whose work just doesn't satisfy their customers. I can think of 3 BIG name 'smiths I'd never use again. Jim Hoag in Canoga Park, CA is very good. He's the only one of 6 or 7 I've used that I'd recommend for modifying a 1911 to customer specs. To find a good smith, prolly the best way is to post a query about the smith you're interested in, and ask for recommendations (good and bad) by PM or email. Forums don't like to let members publicly discuss gunsmith work by name when the review is negative.

GunFighter45ACP
07-22-2010, 07:43
If you want/like the Kimber, then I say to focus on getting it; maybe saving up a little while longer or considering a quality used one, or a similar Kimber model. For me, I hate buying something that is not out of the box ready, & having to go to the time, $, & effort to send it out for the completion work. That's mainly because I've got no skills or tools to tinker with, but YMMV.

GVFlyer
07-22-2010, 07:48
I'm in the group of 1911 shooters that will never own another Kimber. Springfields are better guns even if they are made by Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil. Funny isn't it how the other Brazilian firearms manufacturer gets so much grief for being made there?

FWIW, I like Colts for base guns.

YMMV

GVFlyer
07-22-2010, 07:54
Finding a *good* gunsmith will take a LOT of research and word-of-mouth recommendations....

This is not a bad place to start...

http://www.louderthanwords.us/

BlayGlock
07-22-2010, 07:54
What do you prefer, one you bought and modded the way you want, or one that has everything out of the box ready to go?

I would be happier with getting the Champion and getting it modded the way that I want.

startat2
07-22-2010, 08:01
Thanks for the great replies. As far as the gunsmiths and MODS, I wouldn't want much on the champion (provided it already has night sights) I was thinking a fresh duracoat (if bought used), a reliability tune, and a laser. I currently carry a glock 17 on duty (with a TLR-2) and a glock 30sf off duty (with a TLR-3). My focus to change to a 1911, is I want a .45 that fits my baby hands better :P. At first I was pushing for a lightweight operator, but cant justify the cost when I can buy 6 AWESOME flashlights for the price of the added rail on the frame. As far as the lasers go, I'm just paranoid.... Have it JIC ;) I dont really want to much custom tight tolerance bulls eye work, as it is going to be a carry gun.

drc767
07-22-2010, 08:04

He is gonna have to dig deep in his pockets for any of those talented smiths. The LTW guys are the best 1911 artists in the world, in my opinion. They all do phenominal work, but quality work comes with a pretty stout price...I am guessing these smiths will be a little out of the OP's planned budget.

BlayGlock
07-22-2010, 08:06
Would not be bad at all. Actually look at budsgunshop.com. They have a lightly modded stainless Champion in thier used gun section that would be gtg right now. It has already had the reliability work and front strap stippling. It was $999 I believe. Springfield has the best warranty out there as well.

Hokie1911
07-22-2010, 08:39
I'm with everyone else. Save a few bucks up front, send the SA and get it set up how you want it. Custom is good. :thumbsup:

brzusa.1911
07-22-2010, 10:37
...Springfields are better guns even if they are made by Indústria de Material Bélico do Brasil. Funny isn't it how the other Brazilian firearms manufacturer gets so much grief for being made there?...

That is funny to me as well. It seems people prefer guns made out poor steel (many names come to mind), then guns made out of excellent forged steel made by IMBEL. Just to raise the curiosity of those who worry about IMBEL, do a google search on 1911s kabooms, craked slides, cracked frames....and compare how many are from a Springfield 1911 (made in Brazil by IMBEL)- remember that SA has a huge market share on 1911s.

GAFinch
07-22-2010, 16:23
I've had my eyes on a Dan Wesson CCO, which already has night sights and a ceramic coating.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-cco-bobtail/

Rimcrew
07-22-2010, 16:29
The Dan Wesson CCO is a nice piece, but will run well North of $1000. A slightly used CBOB can be had for right at $1000, and is a great gun out of the box. I'm not sure that either will support a laser, but I'm not a fan of them, so it doesn't matter to me...

moredes
07-22-2010, 16:42
Originally Posted by moredes View Post

>>>>.
Finding a *good* gunsmith will take a LOT of research and word-of-mouth recommendations....

>>>>

He is gonna have to dig deep in his pockets for any of those talented smiths. The LTW guys are the best 1911 artists in the world, in my opinion. They all do phenominal work, but quality work comes with a pretty stout price...I am guessing these smiths will be a little out of the OP's planned budget.

Worse than that, I think most of those smiths only do "full-gun" custom orders--I don't know if any of them would take on 'piece' work. Their waiting-list times are LOOONG--think in years.

rsxr22
07-22-2010, 16:52
i would also recommend getting the SA and sending it off

moredes
07-22-2010, 16:53
Thanks for the great replies. As far as the gunsmiths and MODS, I wouldn't want much on the champion (provided it already has night sights) I was thinking a fresh duracoat (if bought used), a reliability tune, and a laser. ...

You can get that pretty easily. Cheaply, too, if you're partially outfitted to accommodate a spray gun. Duracoat is easy to apply, though it takes some prep work (sandblasting). A Crimson Trace laser can be had for ~ $200 just by watching the forum classifieds--THR, TFL, 1911forum, etc. The reliability tune--you'll only need that if you can prove your SA won't run infallibly. The two biggest "tuning" tricks are Wilson 47D magazines, and an extractor tuning. Google "1911 extractor tune/tuning" and you can follow the directions and do it yourself.

If you're not set up to Duracoat for yourself, you might consider Ion Bond.

startat2
07-22-2010, 19:58
Modded Springfield it is! Wait about 2 weeks for pics :D

Hokie1911
07-22-2010, 20:13
The Dan Wesson CCO is a nice piece, but will run well North of $1000. A slightly used CBOB can be had for right at $1000, and is a great gun out of the box. I'm not sure that either will support a laser, but I'm not a fan of them, so it doesn't matter to me...

...unless you find one NIB for $1,039, have 2 buddies that hesitate then BAM, you snatch it up. :whistling:

Walkin' Boss
07-22-2010, 22:23
Picked up a GI Champion (lightweight). Had it dovetailed for Novaks; new hammer, trigger and grip safety. Replaced the ILS :crazy: mainspring housing with a Colt take off the local smith had. Re-parkerized the slide and had the frame duracoated, I'm quite happy with it.

GunFighter45ACP
07-23-2010, 09:51
any pics, Walkin Boss? I've been eyeballing a GI Champion & would like to see what future options could look like.

GAFinch
07-23-2010, 16:32
Picked up a GI Champion (lightweight). Had it dovetailed for Novaks; new hammer, trigger and grip safety. Replaced the ILS :crazy: mainspring housing with a Colt take off the local smith had. Re-parkerized the slide and had the frame duracoated, I'm quite happy with it.

Cost to do that work?

Walkin' Boss
07-23-2010, 21:46
any pics, Walkin Boss? I've been eyeballing a GI Champion & would like to see what future options could look like.

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/9992/072310201900.jpg
Not a great pic, but it's off my crappy cell phone. It's a plain jane look, but it's a carry piece, so I wanted it less than fancy.

Cost of the weapon, with all parts, fitting, refinishing came to a few bucks shy of 1k. A bit high for what it looks like, but I didn't want a beauty queen. It shoots so sweet :supergrin:

GunFighter45ACP
07-24-2010, 20:58
Looks Good! Thanks!

BlayGlock
07-24-2010, 21:07
Looks awesome. Congrats :wow:

ctfireman
07-24-2010, 23:05
Of those choices.....custom springfield all day. Easy choice.