Remington 870 'Fixed Cylinder'? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 'Fixed Cylinder'?

RiverRatMatt
07-22-2010, 01:14
I'm looking at getting an 870 Express, entry level 18'' 12GA. I'm noticing they're mentioning 'Fixed Cylinder,' can anybody tell me what that means?

FA5Si
07-22-2010, 02:08
I assume it means a non-removable cylinder choke (as opposed to IC, modified, full).

vafish
07-22-2010, 07:02
I assume it means a non-removable cylinder choke (as opposed it IC, modified, full).

Correct

Fixed Choke (ie non removable) Cylinder Bore

So it means you cannot change the choke by using different choke tubes.

For home defense it should be just fine. If you want to duck hunt with it you would be better served with a different barrel.

method
07-22-2010, 11:13
It means the barrel has no choke at all.

RiverRatMatt
07-22-2010, 14:04
Awesome! That's what I was hoping, so I could shoot slugs through it. That cuts the price down considerably :)

vafish
07-23-2010, 05:58
Awesome! That's what I was hoping, so I could shoot slugs through it. That cuts the price down considerably :)

It should shoot "Rifled" slugs just fine. You will probably be disappointed if you shoot "Sabot" slugs through it.

GLShooter
07-28-2010, 12:58

Actauly you can shoot slugs through any of them. Accuarcy may suffer but they will work. Screw in chokes should be used atthe most open end but a fixed choke gun even with a full choke can be used with the slugs without issue.

Like was mentioned the sabot slugs will do poorly in a pure smooth barrel. The Breneke slugs seem to give slightly better accuracy than the Old School Foster type that we have used for years.

My Benneli Super 90 with a Briley custom choke will shoot the standard Remington one ounce slugs into an IPSC B zone without any problems. Smooth bores can shoot if you get the right mix.

Greg