Springfield 9mm stamped "NM" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 9mm stamped "NM"

elenaidan
07-22-2010, 15:00
Hey folks. What does the "NM" on a springfield 1911 mean? Does the NM stand for national match and if it does how does that affect the value? I know a guy who wants 1300.00 for a stainless 9mm Springfield full size that he has reportedly ran through the Springfield custom shop with 10 mags. Really conflicted about spending this kind of money on a 9mm.

Any help would be appreciated.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 15:07
You got it right. :)

CMG
07-22-2010, 15:43
Nope.

The NM serial prefix indicates that most of the assembly was done here in the US (but not to National Match standards), while the N prefix means most of the assembly was done in Brazil.

If it went thru the custom shop, it should have the "Springfield Custom" logo on the slide.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 15:51
Nope.

The NM serial prefix indicates that most of the assembly was done here in the US (but not to National Match standards), while the N prefix means most of the assembly was done in Brazil.

I believe the older Springfields from the 80's used NM to refer the National Match.

bac1023
07-22-2010, 15:52
If it went thru the custom shop, it should have the "Springfield Custom" logo on the slide.

I don't think they always stamp their logo when it comes to minor work, but I could be wrong. :dunno:

bac1023
07-22-2010, 15:55
Nope.

I'm not even sure what National Match standards mean anymore. :dunno:

Jim Watson
07-22-2010, 16:17
The advertising agency wants you to THINK it means National Match.
I guess you could shoot one in the nationals. But all it means is US domestic content.
As I say of the XDm, when they advertise "Match Grade" barrels, it doesn't say match WINNING barrels.

A SA that had been back through their custom shop for major upgrades could be worth the money.
But I'd want to see the work order to know what had been done, and to shoot the gun to see if it accomplished anything.

Quack
07-22-2010, 16:54
NM = Not Mexico or North aMerica :rofl:

a gun modified by the Custom Shop does not get Custom Shop rollmarks.

this has been through the Custom Shop for pretty much the Professional upgrade.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2239.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2238.jpg

$1300 is pretty steep for a 9mm Loaded, unless the gun was built directly by the Custom Shop. i'll save you some $ and sell you mine for $1000. It's been through the Quack Shop :)
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Guns/DSC_2353.jpg

does the original owner have the paperwork from the Custom Shop stating what work was done? If not, you can call the Custom Shop and give them the serial number and they can tell you what was done to it. Doing so will either confirm the guys story, or call him on his BS.

rsxr22
07-22-2010, 16:58
that does seem pretty high for that gun. Does he have any documentation that the gun visited the custom shop and have detailed work descriptions? If he doesnt have this chances are it did not see the custom shop because people arent going to misplace this kind of paperwork

Quack
07-22-2010, 17:04
and here's what the paperwork will look like.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a317/Quackzilla/Mobile%20Uploads/f597591c.jpg

icedevil
07-22-2010, 17:43
Hey folks. What does the "NM" on a springfield 1911 mean? Does the NM stand for national match and if it does how does that affect the value? I know a guy who wants 1300.00 for a stainless 9mm Springfield full size that he has reportedly ran through the Springfield custom shop with 10 mags. Really conflicted about spending this kind of money on a 9mm.

Any help would be appreciated.

$1300 is too high for a used stock 1911 9mm, so it depends on how much work was done at the custom shop. Ask for the build sheet. I believe all of the adjustable sight 9mm's have a NM prefix, so don't jump on it just because of of that. They are not very rare. I recently bought a used 9mm Springfield full size that had significant work done by a national name gunsmith (Kart barrel, checkered front strap, trigger, dehorn, reliability, etc.) for less than $1k. That wasn't a NM serial number gun but I wanted fix sights and I have never seen the fixed sight version with an NM serial number.

When you do find one for the right price, I can't recommend the 9mm 1911 enough. They are cheap to feed and easy to shoot fast. I am really enjoying my new purchase so far.

elenaidan
07-22-2010, 18:24
I expect trying to verify any shop work will be harder than pulling the green from a pickle. That has been some great information. I think I will move on to another purchase. So I guess what I'm saying is once again the guru's at GT have proven their worth. Thanks folks.

Quack
07-22-2010, 18:28
it's not hard to do if the work was done by the Custom Shop, it just takes a call and the serial number. they can even tell you when the work was done.

now getting the serial number from the guy might be a different problem

thecableguy
07-22-2010, 19:58
Ok what would a ss loaded 9mm with novak type sights would go for? I have one and never really tried to find its worth. The serial starts with M and also says made in Brazil.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu83/mannyrosa/weapons/Picture019.jpg

Quack
07-22-2010, 20:03
new they are running about $899-$949 now.

i say a pre-owned 9mm Target at Jet Guns for $699.

thecableguy
07-22-2010, 21:43
Thanks Quack. I might put her up in the classifieds but I have to think about it.

Quack
07-22-2010, 21:46
used you could probably get $700-$750ish