WD smartware vs. Windows 7 image backup [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : WD smartware vs. Windows 7 image backup

OKgetdown
07-23-2010, 03:48
First let me say I am a computer amatuer. To say the least.

So I've backed up my hard drive on a WD external HD. I first did it with the WD Smartware, then with Windows just to compare/contrast.

Which is the better one to keep as a backup? Or would there be any reason to keep both on the external drive?

Thanks. I hope its not to stupid a question.:wavey:

JimmyN
07-23-2010, 05:59
If I'm not mistaken WD Smartware runs all the time. That backs up files as soon as they are created or changed which is good, but since it's running all the time it will use system resources. Even when it's not backing up anything it will be monitoring for changes.

Windows backup only runs when you want, either manually or scheduled, so it won't consume system resources unless it's backing up. But I think it saves files in either MTF or VHD format depending on the Windows version, so as far as I know you'll need a working Windows system to access them to restore any files. I don't know if that matters to you or not. I tend to experiment occasionally, so if I mangle a system file or the registry and Windows goes mustang on me I can boot with a DOS disk and fix it from my backup, even if Windows won't boot.

I use 'rsync' for *NIX systems, and the Windows platform version of 'rysync' called 'DeltaCopy'. I have used those for quite some time so I'm not really up to speed on the other backup options. Someone else can probably give you better information about those.