Classic 1911 Post [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Classic 1911 Post

BlayGlock
07-23-2010, 16:49
On THR Ive been in a discussion about the 1911 being antiquated. This is the best post of the thread and I wanted to share. Id buy this guy a beer:

Sure the 1911 is an old design, 100 years old. But it has performed very well for 100 years, the cartridge is still popular and the gun still performs its designed task as well as anything on the market. Old design does not equate to poor design or bad design. I think they still use the old aerofoil technology to make planes fly, since 1903.

So you complain about only having 7 or 8 rounds? Here is an idea. Learn to shoot already. Missing 17 times because you suck is not a firearm problem, when you are down to random chance for a hit probability and demand 17 rounds you really might just want to hire a body guard and stop worrying about carrying a gun. You are a danger to bystanders more than a toughguy.

It's heavy? Go to the gym once and a while buttercup. Not having the strength to carry a gun means you need to stay home already and just sit by the computer looking at one on the table.

It's an old design, obsolete and not needed? Really? Trojan is still making the same design of rubber and it still works. M2HB has been flattening villiagers for 90 years and we love it. Some idiot at Picatinney Arsenal is still trying to make a plastic Browning with a smaller but equal 50 cal round and still failing. Why? He is fixing a non-exisitant problem so nobody cares.

They are not realiable? Really? I have one at home that has fired 12,850rounds with one stoppage and it is documented. I doubt 99% of the internet experts have even seen 12K rounds in one place EVER. I have another that has been in competitive use for twenty years and had one barrel replaced.

There are more modern designs. Really? Have you looked at the Glock, it is slightly different but still the same as every semi-auto pistol ever built. The difference is that it is cheap and plastic. Cheap stamped metal and plastic guns have been around since WWII. The double stack magazine has as well. 9mm parabellum has been around since before WWI. Fixed sights since the gun was invented. Hammer forged barrels for decades as well. Polygon rifling has been in German guns for quite a while. DA only autos, or as they call it, "Safe action", mushy DAO with lousy feel, no as uncommon as you might think.

While materials have improved over the last 100 years and we can make many parts from plastic, carbon fiber, aluminum or some other space aged metal or material, very little has changed in design or function. Ballistics has not improved either, bullet technology has made some advances. But making a bullet that is shaped in a way that impacts the feeding as designed is not a real improvement.

A Glock might be different, hold more ammo that was designed 100 years ago, cheap or lighter to carry but it is far from new and innovative. Glock is a thirty year old design as well.

When the caseless ammunition, limitless feeding, electromagnetic rail gun arrives then you have something new.

Posted by lonegunman

My favorite line

It's heavy? Go to the gym once and a while buttercup.

Hokie1911
07-23-2010, 17:02
:bowdown:

bac1023
07-23-2010, 17:32
:rofl:

I'll have to check out that thread on The High Road.

Wade-19
07-23-2010, 17:49
Great post , and I like Glocks !!!

KalashniKEV
07-23-2010, 18:01
That's the first 1911 justification I've ever read that didn't have some nonsensical bluster about "Omaha Beach" or America's Pistol...

BlayGlock
07-23-2010, 22:20
That's the first 1911 justification I've ever read that didn't have some nonsensical bluster about "Omaha Beach" or America's Pistol...

Exactly!!!! That is what is great about it.

Glockdude1
07-23-2010, 22:33
On THR Ive been in a discussion about the 1911 being antiquated. This is the best post of the thread and I wanted to share. Id buy this guy a beer:

Posted by lonegunman

My favorite line: It's heavy? Go to the gym once and a while buttercup. Not having the strength to carry a gun means you need to stay home already and just sit by the computer looking at one on the table.

:rofl:

deadday
07-24-2010, 09:01
Go to the gym...:rofl:

Just for the record, my Kimber UC weighs almost EXACTLY the same as Glock 36....

CAcop
07-24-2010, 12:11
I read the first page or two of that thread and got tired of the "it only has 8 or 9 shots" or "it's too heavy."

As if Smith and Wesson hasn't been spending the last 50 years churning out autopistols that double as boat anchors or Gaston didn't make a 7 shot .45.

Maybe today I will take a nap to rest up enough to post my $0.02

Cobra64
07-26-2010, 02:56
I liked this piece:

"So you complain about only having 7 or 8 rounds? Here is an idea. Learn to shoot already. Missing 17 times because you suck is not a firearm problem, when you are down to random chance for a hit probability and demand 17 rounds you really might just want to hire a body guard and stop worrying about carrying a gun. You are a danger to bystanders more than a toughguy."

GunFighter45ACP
07-26-2010, 12:20
I like it!

Hokie1911
07-26-2010, 12:26
I liked this piece:

"So you complain about only having 7 or 8 rounds? Here is an idea. Learn to shoot already. Missing 17 times because you suck is not a firearm problem, when you are down to random chance for a hit probability and demand 17 rounds you really might just want to hire a body guard and stop worrying about carrying a gun. You are a danger to bystanders more than a toughguy."

Aren't most SD like 2-3 shots anyway? If you're in a shootout expending full magazines of 17 rounds, you are either in the wrong neighborhood, or the wrong line of work. :dunno:

CMG
07-26-2010, 12:47
I'm fortunate to have found room for many different designs in my gun-room, and usually avoid those discussions where the point is to denigrate one design in favor of another, as they are generally silly and chock-full of spurious argument.

You'll notice lonegunman ignores the fact that for those who can shoot a Glock very well, having 15 rounds available that will hit the target still beats having only 7 or 8. :cool:

PhoneCop
07-26-2010, 16:34
Here is my favorite:

I doubt 99% of the internet experts have even seen 12K rounds in one place EVER.

It's so damned true.