Best Guide Rod & Spring for G-29 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best Guide Rod & Spring for G-29

JayAlonG2910mm
07-23-2010, 18:12
I broke my stock rod and today.

I want to go with a heavier(21# or 23# spring and maybe a rod in Stainless or Tungsten.

Please don't lecture me about staying stock. I have read a million guide rod threads and have heard all about it.

I am also looking for some nice night sights. I would like them to be metal with green/green dots.

CanyonMan
07-23-2010, 19:33
I use a 22# wolff spring and steel rod in all my Glocks. (except the 9mm) No worries. No problems.

CM

agtman
07-23-2010, 19:48
I broke my stock rod and today.

I want to go with a heavier(21# or 23# spring and maybe a rod in Stainless or Tungsten.

Please don't lecture me about staying stock. I have read a million guide rod threads and have heard all about it.
I am also looking for some nice night sights. I would like them to be metal with green/green dots.

All I can relate for you is how my personal G29 is set-up, which is similar to McNett's (of Double Tap Ammo), and has run flawlessly over several thousand rds now.

http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/oo166/agtman/BB.jpg

This set-up is for "street" CCW and/or duty use firing high-performance 10mm loads.

(1) Trijicon nightsights;

(2) Pearce "pinky finger" extension grips replaced the floorplates on the 10-rd mags.

(3) Wolff XP 21lb spring and steel guide rod unit.

Be advise that Wolff offers other spring-poundage weights for this unit. These spring-weight choices are: 15lbs (reduced); 17lbs (factory spec); 19, 21 & 23lbs (all XP).

I went with the 21lb spring because that's what McNett uses in his stock G29 shooting his full-power DT factory loads.

For me, it was the perfect choice.

BTW, the 21lb spring runs just as well with .40S&W loads fired through my LWD .40 "drop-in" stock-length tube. However, with that spring-weight, the .40 brass doesn't get pitched nearly as far as do full-power 10mm cases. :whistling:

All you really need to do is select the spring-weight you feel is right for your G29 and/or your shooting needs.

Some 10mm fans who use the Wolff unit get all/most of these springs anyway so they can tailor the "felt-recoil" of the gun to the 10mm load being fired, which takes on more significance when using/testing reloads (e.g., mild, mid-range, hot or nuclear).

:cool:

Kegs
07-24-2010, 15:24
I went with the 21lb spring because that's what McNett uses in his stock G29 shooting his full-power DT factory loads.

:cool:

That's what I am running now too, thanks you YOU! :wavey:

...but I do have a 4.55" barrel in mine now because I had to one up ya. :tongueout:

_The_Shadow
07-24-2010, 19:55
I use the Wolff Gun Springs (non) captured recoil rod and the 21 lb recoil spring system in my Glock 29...Handles my hottest 10mm custom loads and this works flawlessly even with the 40S&W conversion barrel and 9x25Dillon conversion.

Pearce "pinky finger" extension grips replaced the floorplates on the 10-rd mags make a great addition to this weapon.

agtman
07-25-2010, 10:11
That's what I am running now too, thanks you YOU! :wavey:
...but I do have a 4.55" barrel in mine now because I had to one up ya. :tongueout:

Thanks, ... but what make of 4.55" barrel is it? LWD? :cool:

MinervaDoe
07-28-2010, 11:26
Aside from not breaking, are there any other advantages to a steel guide rod? Does it stiffen the gun any?

Kegs
07-28-2010, 14:31
Thanks, ... but what make of 4.55" barrel is it? LWD? :cool:

KKM precision. :supergrin: