Correct grip for the 1911? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Correct grip for the 1911?

JDinNC
07-23-2010, 21:02
Can someone post a pic of the correct way to hold a 1911? Every blue moon, I rent one at the range. It has an extended safety. I feel like if I put my thumb on top of the safety its touching the slide which could interfere with the cycling. If I put my thumb under the safety I feel like I'm gonna accidently turn the gun "off" while in the middle of shooting. I'm a major Glock guy and have little experience with 1911s. Thanks.

Quack
07-23-2010, 21:04
thumb on safety.

KalashniKEV
07-23-2010, 21:10
Can someone post a pic of the correct way to hold a 1911? Every blue moon, I rent one at the range. It has an extended safety. I feel like if I put my thumb on top of the safety its touching the slide which could interfere with the cycling. If I put my thumb under the safety I feel like I'm gonna accidently turn the gun "off" while in the middle of shooting. I'm a major Glock guy and have little experience with 1911s. Thanks.

If you're only going to do it once in a blue moon, it wouldn't be smart to add the muscle memory of holding down the safety... at best you'd be looking for it on other pistols, at worst you'd be holding down the slide stop on a Sig for example.

Use the same grip you always do... I prefer thumbs stacked and facing the target.

If your thumbs are flapping around while you're shooting, and you end up actually applying upward pressure on the safety... like, enough to engage it?

Then you're doing it waaaay wrong...

The_Drizzle
07-23-2010, 21:18
I have seen a lot of new or different ways to grip a pistol. Personally, I think if the gun is comfortable in your hand, you hit what you are aiming at, and you can manage the recoil well, then you are doing it right.

Tom Knapp shoots his shotgun upside down and backwards. Is it wrong? He hits all his targets.:supergrin:

Hokie1911
07-23-2010, 21:23
Tom Knapp shoots his shotgun upside down and backwards. Is it wrong? He hits all his targets.:supergrin:

He is freaking ridiculous. Love watching him shoot.

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2010, 06:58
thumb on safety.

While this ois not a NATURAL feeling grip to me,......I shoot VERY well with this grip

BlayGlock
07-24-2010, 08:06
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

In that article Massad Ayoob has some great pics of how to best grip a 1911.

Quack
07-24-2010, 08:44
While this ois not a NATURAL feeling grip to me,......I shoot VERY well with this grip

i shoot with my thumb on the safety, but it's not on top of it. it's kind of on the side and on top of my support hand, with both thumbs forward.

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2010, 08:47
Hmmmm,......will have to check that out tomorrow.

Houndhunter
07-24-2010, 09:05
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ayoob85.html

In that article Massad Ayoob has some great pics of how to best grip a 1911.

I disagree with Ayoob. Always thumb on the safety.

Jim S.
07-24-2010, 10:54
I doubt you could activate a thumb safety just because your thumb is under it.
You can inhibit the slide by having your thumb drag on it, but I would think you would feel it and learn to adjust.
I always wonder about the "correct" grip stuff. If I hold it differently than you and still hit what I am aiming at, is it not correct for me?
I think that you can hold it however it works best for you as long as you learn to shoot it that way.
Holding a handgun a certain way will influence where you hit just as much as how you squeeze or pull the trigger.
It is up to you to learn what it does when you hold it or change from that grip.
1911's were designed to fit into your hand naturally. Don't fight it just go along with it.

BlayGlock
07-24-2010, 11:45
I keep my thumb to the side of the safety not on it. It more comfortable that way and I feel like I get better control.

rsxr22
07-24-2010, 17:39
I think the best video out there for learning the grip of a 1911 is Todd Jarrett's on youtube. Extremely high grip, thumb ontop of safety with an aggressive thumbs forward grip. There are different ways to do things, but those are not always the right ways. Getting as high of a grip as possible is the only and best way to control recoil of the pistol.

JDinNC
07-24-2010, 19:34
If you're only going to do it once in a blue moon, it wouldn't be smart to add the muscle memory of holding down the safety...
I am thinking about getting a micro 1911 for carry. I'm interested in the Para LDA light double action 1911. Just doing some research first. Thank you guys for all your help :)

bluelineman
07-25-2010, 08:57
I am thinking about getting a micro 1911 for carry. I'm interested in the Para LDA light double action 1911. Just doing some research first. Thank you guys for all your help :)

Try to rent one first. I did & hated the trigger. And maybe cuz it was a range rental, it was a jam-o-matic. YMMV.