Issues with new TRP...help! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Issues with new TRP...help!

finz50
07-23-2010, 21:23
Just got my TRP the other day and shot it twice....with problems both times. Hoping some folks here could help me out.

Day 1, shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass.
1st magazine (Metalform from SA) failed to lock the slide on the last round
2nd magazine, (Metalform from SA) stovepipe, 3rd round.
1st magazine again, failed to lock the slide on the last round
2nd magazine again, failed to lock the slide on the last round
Shot the two magazines that came with my SA Mil-Spec, and had no issues with either one.
Repeat, with no other issues..

Day 2, shot 82 rounds of WWB (left early due to a thunderstorm) Also tried my new CMC 8 and 10 round mags (3 each)
1st magazine (Metalform) Fail to Feed (FTF) 3rd round, stovepipe, 5th round.
2nd magazine (Metalform), FTF 4th round or so, failed to lock the slide on the last round
3rd magazine (Mil-Spec), no issues
4th magazine (Mil-Spec), no issues
5th magazine (CMC 8), no issues
6th magazine (CMC 8), FTF 4th round
7th magazine (CMC 8), failed to lock the slide on the last round
8th magazine (CMC 10), failed to lock the slide on the last round
9th magazine (CMC 10), no issues
10th magazine (CMC 10), FTF 6th round

I love the gun, it's easily the most accurate firearm I ever shot. I just don't get all the issues with this thing. It's can't remember having this many issues, with one firearm in my 13 years of shooting. Never had any issue limpwristing, etc. I thought these things were pretty much smooth as butter out of the box, but this is driving me nuts trying to figure out what's up. I was hoping it was just the factory Metalform magazines, but I guess not since it's all the magazines (except probably the cheapest factory 1911 mags I have, for mi Mil-Spec...go figure).

FYI when I was trying to disassemble it to clean it, I couldn't get the dang barrel out.....noticed the barrel link pin was shifting out to one side, and it wouldn't let me get the slide out so I had to tap it back flush with one of my punches...then it finally came out. Had to do this after both shooting sessions....

Overall, I'd say I'm stoked about the gun's accuracy, but big time disappointed with the reliability. Out of 182 rounds, I had 4 failures to feed, 2 stovepipes, and out of 17 magazines worth of ammo run through it 7 have failed to lock back the slide....kinda of at a loss.....Any thoughts or inputs????

glock2740
07-23-2010, 21:50
Congrats on the new TRP, but hate to hear that you're having issues. I'm sure SA will take care of it.

Quack
07-23-2010, 21:56
slide lock may be your thumb on the slide lock.

Ruggles
07-23-2010, 21:57
http://forums.1911forum.com/

http://forum.m1911.org/

There are some very knowledgeable folks on this forum but you can find some help at the links above as well.

finz50
07-23-2010, 22:23
slide lock may be your thumb on the slide lock

Have had that issue with another gun of mine, but on my TRP, my thumb won't even reach the slide lock with my shooting grip.....short by ~1/4 inch...

Glockdude1
07-23-2010, 22:29
Try Wilson 47D magazines. My Mc Operator works flawless with them.

:cool:

g36user
07-23-2010, 22:35
What glockdude said.

Ruggles
07-23-2010, 22:50
I would say a quality 1911 (like the TRP) should function fine with quality magazines like the CMC and the Metalform. If you are having that many issues some Wilson mags are not going to fix it IMO.

Not to say Wilson mags are not great but they are not "magical" mags that are going to fix what you are describing IMO. I am a Wilson fan (carry a Wilson and have a 2nd Wilson on order) but I really do not think the mags are the issue.

Quack
07-23-2010, 22:52
Have had that issue with another gun of mine, but on my TRP, my thumb won't even reach the slide lock with my shooting grip.....short by ~1/4 inch...

not your shooting hand, but your support hand.

R*E
07-23-2010, 23:08
magazine analysis (http://how-i-did-it.org/magazines/index.html)

Infallible
07-24-2010, 00:22
FWIW a partner of mine has a new TRP and he is having the same failure to lock the slide on the last round and he is using Wilson 47d's exclusively. I let him borrow a few of my Tripp's and he had zero problems with them. Comparing the two side by side, the tripps are taller and sit higher in the gun. He is using my tripp's until he can get his own. Just food for thought.

brisk21
07-24-2010, 08:10
First of all, Id say put a minimum of 500 rounds through the gun, then clean and lube before you even look at relaiblilty. If problems still persist, send it back to Springfield.

Quack
07-24-2010, 08:39
or you could use a slurry on the slide/frame instead of the mythical 500rd break-in.

Rinspeed
07-24-2010, 08:51
Seeing the link pin needs attention just send it back to SA and let them take care of it and the other issues. I'm quite sure they will make things right.

finz50
07-24-2010, 08:54
Maybe I'm being overly anal, but I don't think I should drop $1300+ on a gun, then drop another $200 on ammo to make it run smoothly, especially after all the good things I heard about this particular gun before I purchased it...

Quack
07-24-2010, 08:56
Maybe I'm being overly anal, but I don't think I should drop $1300+ on a gun, then drop another $200 on ammo to make it run smoothly, especially after all the good things I heard about this particular gun before I purchased it...

well then don't even think about buying a Baer :whistling:

Rinspeed
07-24-2010, 09:25

I know you're not happy but you have to remember you are dealing with a mechanical object. If you keep shooting it, hoping the problem will go away, you will only be wasting ammo and getting more upset about it.

finz50
07-24-2010, 09:33
That's what I was thinking too....I'm gonna be broke and upset-LOL. May be calling SA Monday morning....

faawrenchbndr
07-24-2010, 09:45
well then don't even think about buying a Baer :whistling:

Yep,........after 5k rounds it will still be tighter than a Springer! :wow:

Jason D
07-24-2010, 17:18

I had a gun that would fail to lock the slide back.
My problem was an grossly over powered recoil spring.

A standard 16 pound spring solved that problem.

tx787
07-24-2010, 17:57
Trade it in for a Kimber

ctfireman
07-24-2010, 20:00
Something is obviously wrong with it, don't drive yourself crazy. Call springfield & send it it. They have great CS.

Patrick R
07-25-2010, 21:29
I bought my TRP in Jan 2010. The stock mags did not work well. Would not lock back well & jams. I switched to Wilson 47Ds. Shoots great no problems now.

BlayGlock
07-25-2010, 21:46
Trade it in for a Kimber
:wow:

Sounds like a mag issue, I would try that first. Maybe will will get lucky and one of the resident experts will chime in.

PhoneCop
07-25-2010, 22:30
Trade it in for a Kimber

Hear! Hear!