Trident 9 or Gemtech Raptor II [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Trident 9 or Gemtech Raptor II

chemcmndr
07-25-2010, 08:57
I am looking at getting a 9mm can for use on several Glocks, 9mm SBR's, and eventually a 9mm SMG. I've heard good things about both the Trident 9 and the Gemtech Raptor II. Is there any preference to one or the other on here? I know the Trident 9 cannot be disassembled for cleaning. Is that a big problem? Comments and opinions are appreciated!

r2kba
07-25-2010, 11:29
I am looking at getting a 9mm can for use on several Glocks, 9mm SBR's, and eventually a 9mm SMG. I've heard good things about both the Trident 9 and the Gemtech Raptor II. Is there any preference to one or the other on here? I know the Trident 9 cannot be disassembled for cleaning. Is that a big problem? Comments and opinions are appreciated!

The raptor will not function on a handgun such as a glock. If you want that compatibility you will want to look at the multimount ( MM9 ) or the TUNDRA.

It sounds like your going to want the Multimount because of the different platforms you want to use it on, if you go the gemtech route that is. The trident is very similar and both cans are comparable.

I have the multimount. See the other active thread "sbr" for photo.

DustyJacket
07-25-2010, 11:52
Multimount is the answer.

It is the most versatile, and it is pretty quiet when used on my Beretta without the LID.

kilroy2721
08-01-2010, 04:17
Go with the Trident. It is rated for full auto, and has excellent reviews, and in my opinion it is the quietest of the two.

The fact that you can't take it apart is not a problem. When it gets dirty you soak it to clean it, and the good folks at SWR have great customer service.

Fireman1291
08-01-2010, 15:17
I second the Trident9...it has a SS blast baffle and is full auto rated and it be used on all the hosts you listed...I dont know if the Gemtech Multimount has a SS blast baffle or if its full suto rated. Find prices on both..

DustyJacket
08-01-2010, 18:04
I dont know if the Gemtech Multimount has a SS blast baffle or if its full suto rated.

No and no,

r2kba
08-01-2010, 23:08
No and no,

No and YES, actually.

The mm9 is designed to be installed on colt SMG and HK mp5s and as well as pistol use and is most certainly full-auto rated. It will not hurt it. This is in the MM9 manual. The Gemtech TALON AR upper is designed for use on the COLT SMG.

However with that said, if the can's primary use will be on a SMG, then the RAPTOR is a better choice for long term durability according to the MM9 manual. The MM9 was never intended for hard core machinegun use in the first place. It's a multi platform can.

Fireman1291
08-02-2010, 07:15
And if the cleaning is a big deal to ya, look at the YHM Cobra2. Its cheap and works good wet. How far out are you going to be buying a 9mm SMG? I ask because it might be better to buy a cream of the crop can for your pistols and a dedicated can for the SMG later.

Your 9mm SBR, is that going to be a AR15 platform?

r2kba
08-02-2010, 09:35
Yeah I agree to buy two separate cans. One designed specifically for the SMG, one for pistols.

chemcmndr
08-02-2010, 18:26
And if the cleaning is a big deal to ya, look at the YHM Cobra2. Its cheap and works good wet. How far out are you going to be buying a 9mm SMG? I ask because it might be better to buy a cream of the crop can for your pistols and a dedicated can for the SMG later.

Your 9mm SBR, is that going to be a AR15 platform?

I've currently got the paperwork at the ATF for an MP5 platform SBR (MKE AT-94K) that I was going to potentially use the can on. The 9mm SMG would most likely be an Uzi. I would like a full auto MP5, but $17k is hard to come by and I can do most things with an MP5 clone SBR. I wouldn't be getting the SMG for several years, once I get student loans fully paid off and the money saved up.

Fireman1291
08-03-2010, 07:43
I would wait then. Plus alot of the FA guns come with suppressors in package deals. So youll still pay 2 stamps but you might get a better deal on the can as the seller is trying to offload both.

I say do weapon specific, youve got the bug now anyway.....nothing can stop you now. lol

r2kba
08-03-2010, 09:59
I've currently got the paperwork at the ATF for an MP5 platform SBR (MKE AT-94K) that I was going to potentially use the can on. The 9mm SMG would most likely be an Uzi. I would like a full auto MP5, but $17k is hard to come by and I can do most things with an MP5 clone SBR. I wouldn't be getting the SMG for several years, once I get student loans fully paid off and the money saved up.

The MM9 is what you want. Multi platform system and you can still install a 3lug system on the SBR barrel and use the MM9 and take it off and use it on a pistol too with the LID.

Fireman1291
08-03-2010, 15:23
Yeah, since AAC hasnt released the damn 3-lug mount for the TiRant9...its "in the works" :rolls eyes: so we should see them sometime 2012.

chemcmndr
08-03-2010, 19:14
What about a Yankee Hills 9mm pistol suppressor? I have a class 3 dealer locally that deals with them exclusively and would be able to get one for about $600.

r2kba
08-04-2010, 01:08
What about a Yankee Hills 9mm pistol suppressor? I have a class 3 dealer locally that deals with them exclusively and would be able to get one for about $600.

Never heard one. But for what its worth, my MM9 was only $500.

Fireman1291
08-04-2010, 04:33
I concur... $600 is WAY too high. I paid under $700 for my Osprey.

Contact Korey at Silentshooters.com and he'll hook you up with a good price on a can.

Bravo 1
08-04-2010, 05:54
Trident 9.

It is only 1-2 db quieter wet, hence it is awesome dry as opposed to most other pistol cans.

It HAS every thing you need in a 9mm can.

CS is absolutely top notch with SWR.

And F#@ck Gemtech for their damn Gemtax screwing they achieved for every suppressor owner in the USA.

I owned 2 GT cans before the Gemtax fiasco, and will never buy another one of their cans.

SWR and you will not go wrong and yes I own a Trident 9. I have raped it on an UZI,MP5,Sig 226 and Glock 17 with not disappointments.

Go ahead and register here http://nfatalk.org/forum/index.php and do some reading in the reviews to see what a real, privately owned Trident9 will meter.
:wavey:

r2kba
08-04-2010, 10:57
And F#@ck Gemtech for their damn Gemtax screwing they achieved for every suppressor owner in the USA.

I owned 2 GT cans before the Gemtax fiasco, and will never buy another one of their cans.

:wavey:

It was already a violation for another MFG to destroy a can and make another one with the same serial number and makers info on the new tube.

The moral of the story is, dont believe everything you read on the 'innarnet and dont abuse your NFA devices.

________________________________________________________________________________________

SOURCE:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=993798&page=3

Hi guys,

Kel from Gemtech here.

I pop in from time to time as a read-only kinda guy on these boards, and wandered through this thread tonight, found it interesting. I'm not going to be able to word anything better than CoryT has written quite well in his comments above, and don't really have any interest in fanning the flames of the he-said-she-said kiddy stuff.

I do think it's relevant, however, to consider how various manufacturers are beating the "Gemtech screwed you, so now you need to pay us more money" drum.

I was introduced to this a few months ago, when I had a gentleman call us at Gemtech, upset that his suppressor from another manufacturer "couldn't be fixed because of the Gemtax".

A tad nonplussed, as it didn't sound broken, nor was it even our product, I offered to hear his story, see if there was something I could do to help him out.

Turns out, he had a dead-nuts clone of one of our older 9mm cans. He wanted to install a booster-adapter because he had switched thread pitch to a metric Smith M&P, IIRC. The manufacturer of it told him he could not get a booster put on it because of "that new Gemtech regulation", but they'd be more than happy to sell him a new $700 dollar suppressor with a new tax as a "repair / replacement" for his almost-new can.

This struck me as a bit opportunistic: Screw the customer while getting in a tag using misplaced blame against us for their economic gain. Win-win for the manufacturer, of course. Falsely blame Gemtech, take more of the poor sucker's cash than necessary, get out of doing less profitable and tedious repair/custom work, perpetuate the myth, be the hero.

I had him send in his suppressor to see if we could help him where the original manufacturer said they couldn't or wouldn't. Because it was a clone of our product, the parts were interchangeable, his mount was easily replaceable, a slight modification was made to his encapsulator, and a new LID booster was installed. Took one of our shop guys about an hour and a half, I think I charged him for parts-only and had it back to him that same week.

I'm not bringing this up to take a dig at any other manufacturer (note that I haven't named them, gleefully broadcast pictures from when we worked on it a few months ago, danced in any perceived blood, or tried to start a controversy here). I'm bringing this to your attention because some manufacturers are being very opportunistic about what can and can't be done in repairs and replacements and are spreading the scary tax story to get more money out of you when a simple repair is still almost always possible.

There's obviously a lot of people with a lot of opinions about the repair/replace subject - most of them are based on rumors and parroting erroneous data they will never know the whole story about. I feel it's somewhat impolite (and generally fruitless) to try to correct people in public fora, especially when they didn't need to know the truth before hitting the "submit post " button in the first place, or if they are just looking for a fight or controversy. But I thought I'd mention that we at Gemtech continue to service our products as we have for the past 16 years, and it's still a *very* rare case around here where one our our clients would pay another transfer tax for a repair or upgrade.

Best to all,

Kel

TEAM GEMTECH GUY

Bravo 1
08-04-2010, 13:48
That post doesn't really say anything. Kel is skirting around the entire issue if you notice.

WOW:wow:

I am shocked that after GT got that letter from the Tech branch of the NFA

AND NO OTHER COMPANY GOT ONE, which if you know anything about NFA will tell you that GT asked the question or made the complaint that required the Tech branch to make this arbitrary ruling.

Also, after the sh!!!!!t storm that GT raised by screwing all the U.S. suppressor owners, current or future,I would expect them to kick into PR mode.

Surely their sales suffered in the civilian world for sure due to their bull sh!!!t.

Bottom line, AAC was rebuilding crap GT cans and GT got pissed.

Granted AAC was walking a thin line, but just maybe GT should have started building high quality cans rather than the crap that people bought, mostly newbies in the Class 3 world because of certain stocking dealers, but no,,,,,they went crying to the NFA Tech Branch instead and created the situation today.

Now, you pop a serialized portion on your tube, you get to start all over rather than owning YOUR number and getting it rolled on a new tube.

AAC simply fixed fixed crap GT cans for 50% of retail. sounded pretty fair to me.

The OP can search for this saga and make his own conclusion.:whistling:

Fireman1291
08-05-2010, 07:51
Let the **** storm begin....I do chuckle though, when i see a new NFA hobbist that brags about his newly purchased Outback2......much much better options but every newb think the OB2 is the best 22 can out there.

And I 2nd the SWR customer service, theyll stick with ya.

Thorazine
08-05-2010, 19:13
Never heard about the AAC and GT drama until now heh.

r2kba
08-05-2010, 23:34
Never heard about the AAC and GT drama until now heh.

It's a moot point anyway that has had little to no affect on anyone. If one does not abuse their stuff, the need to replace your can is very unlikely.

Bravo 1
08-06-2010, 13:30
It has affected everybody who for what ever reason, needed to replace a tube on their can. So yes, it has affected many people. Baffle strikes happen and repairs will ensue.

Even if just your blast baffle is eroded to the point where your accuracy is suffering, and it would require a new tube to replace the blast baffle,,

it will cost you a new tax stamp and all the BS included.

So, if YOU are stuck with a damaged can and it would have cost you maybe 100.00 bucks to repair it,,

but now you are forced to buy another tax stamp,,,,

be sure to thank GT for it.

as I have said I had 2 of their cans before the Gemtax came into effect. They both work okay but I have much better cans in the same calibers.

But WHY support a company that invariably screwed every can owner in the U.S.?

r2kba
08-06-2010, 23:25
It has affected everybody who for what ever reason, needed to replace a tube on their can. So yes, it has affected many people. Baffle strikes happen and repairs will ensue.

Even if just your blast baffle is eroded to the point where your accuracy is suffering, and it would require a new tube to replace the blast baffle,,

it will cost you a new tax stamp and all the BS included.

So, if YOU are stuck with a damaged can and it would have cost you maybe 100.00 bucks to repair it,,

but now you are forced to buy another tax stamp,,,,

be sure to thank GT for it.

as I have said I had 2 of their cans before the Gemtax came into effect. They both work okay but I have much better cans in the same calibers.

But WHY support a company that invariably screwed every can owner in the U.S.?

You are entitled to your own opinions on the subject. I'm betting my cans will last longer than me, regardless of who made them.

Bravo 1
08-07-2010, 05:46
You are missing the point,,,entirely.

And as far as my opinion about GT cans, testing speaks the truth more than you or I ever could.

Anybody that's interested in cans can read all the free data on nfatalk, or they check out silencertalk,,or ****worths site if they want to pay 30 bucks for it.

You cans may or may not last, that is not my point at all. It is this ,,simply put.

GT screwed all of us,,, and there are much better cans out there.

DustyJacket
08-07-2010, 06:59
Even if just your blast baffle is eroded to the point where your accuracy is suffering, and it would require a new tube to replace the blast baffle...

Not exactly. Only if the tube is damaged enough to be replaced.

Liberty has replaced the MultiMount blast baffle with a stainless steel verson, without replacing the tube.

I think AAC and Gemtech were both at fault here. It is too bad they could not work things out before it was brought to the ATF.

Bravo 1
08-08-2010, 14:29
Not exactly. Only if the tube is damaged enough to be replaced.

Liberty has replaced the MultiMount blast baffle with a stainless steel verson, without replacing the tube.

I think AAC and Gemtech were both at fault here. It is too bad they could not work things out before it was brought to the ATF.

I cannot help but think that the Brittingham/Dater drama from the early days probably WAS the culprit here. At least the outlier.

It depends on HOW your blast baffle is "in" the tube. I have a couple that would require a new tube. I was thinking more rifle can when I typed it.

I agree,,as I said earlier, AAC was working a grey area, but they were also fixing crap GT cans cheaply, GT would not do it because they couldn't.

GT should have upped their game instead of running to the teacher.

Again,,,,WHY does Liberty NEED to replace the Multimount baffle?:whistling:

r2kba
08-08-2010, 23:29
Again,,,,WHY does Liberty NEED to replace the Multimount baffle?:whistling:

Great question. There is nothing wrong with it in the first place. Mine works just fine. It would make no sense for me to buy a can, only to have someone else replace something in it, completely voiding the warranty I had before. If I wanted a liberty can, I would simply buy their can. But Oh, they dont make the multimount.:whistling: