Best virus protection [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Best virus protection

ChrisJn
07-25-2010, 16:14
I appreciate this subject has been discussed many times but I have taken all I can with my wife's PC. Three different viruses in as many months with Mcafee installed! I just don't think it(Mcafee) is "fit for purpose".
I have done a "clean install" and if I get just one more it's going in the garbage and I'll replace it with a MAC.
Any expert like to suggest an alternative PC virus protection?
Thanks in advance.

GIockGuy24
07-25-2010, 16:59
Microsoft Security Essentials is about as good any antivirus program and it has antispyware. IObit Security 360 is a good free add-on antispyware protection program and ThreatFire is a good behavioral protection program for free. Run all three of these programs.

Security Essentials for XP

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_xp/

Security Essentials for Vista (32 bit)

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_vista/

Security Essentials for 64 Vista

http://filehippo.com/download_security_essentials_vista_64/

ThreatFire

http://download.cnet.com/ThreatFire-AntiVirus-Free-Edition/3000-2239_4-10726873.html?part=dl-6257086&subj=dl&tag=button

http://majorgeeks.com/IObit_Security_360_d6088.html

Make sure McAfee is completely uninstalled before installing these. Windows Defender will have to be uninstalled also as Microsoft Security Essentials replaces it.

RDW
07-25-2010, 17:02
The NEW Norton does it for me.

kahrguy
07-25-2010, 17:55
Linux

AmericanGunWorks
07-25-2010, 18:04
Mac.

But on my work laptop I did install Microsoft security essentials and it has been fine thus far. But then again I use good net ettiquette on this machine so there's less chance of virus' on this one.

IndyGunFreak
07-25-2010, 18:21
Linux

:agree:

I'm curious though.. is McAfee up to date, or are you using a version from 05 that has never been updated? I fixed a PC the other day w/ this. Lady couldn't understand how she had a virus when she ran McAfee, but it hadn't been updated in almost 3yrs.

If you insist on sticking with Windows, I like Avast and AVG. Bottom line though, security comes down to the yoyo pounding on the keys.

IGF

DoubleWide
07-25-2010, 18:42
Linux

Linux Live CD - so they can't screw it up.

BTW, if you're getting that many viruses, it's the user, not the OS. Mac and Linux are just a smaller user base that isn't targeted.

IndyGunFreak
07-25-2010, 19:24

Mac and Linux are just a smaller user base that isn't targeted.

That's only partly true...

While Linux and Mac are a smaller target, the way the OS designed makes it *less vulnerable*(not invulnerable) to the point that virus writers not only have to have the skill to write the virus, but have to trick the user into giving the program root access in order for it to do any good. If a Linux system is properly set up(with proper user accounts, etc..) the worst a virus can do, is infect a user, rather than the whole system(which usually happens w/ a PC)

IGF

ChrisJn
07-25-2010, 19:28

BTW, if you're getting that many viruses, it's the user, not the OS. Mac and Linux are just a smaller user base that isn't targeted.

I know. That's what I told her!
I've had a Mac for 20+ years and never had a virus.

ChrisJn
07-25-2010, 19:31
:agree:

I'm curious though.. is McAfee up to date, or are you using a version from 05 that has never been updated? I fixed a PC the other day w/ this. Lady couldn't understand how she had a virus when she ran McAfee, but it hadn't been updated in almost 3yrs.

If you insist on sticking with Windows, I like Avast and AVG. Bottom line though, security comes down to the yoyo pounding on the keys.

IGF

Indy,
Regarding your last paragraph, see my last post!

McAfee is up to date and machine is less than two years old. I think she is finally convinced that her next machine will be a Mac.

hagar
07-25-2010, 21:37
Not sure what one would pay for it, I get it for free through my work, but Trend Micro is #1. I never pick up bad stuff any more, no annoying cookies, malware or viruses. None, zilch, nada. I can run Spybot or Malwarebytes, comes back clean.

slupry
07-26-2010, 08:50
I like
Linux.

W4CNG
07-26-2010, 12:31
Yes +1 on the Mac. I have two Windows machines, box and laptop. When either dies, I get another MAC. I have a Mac Book Pro and an iMac. Both run great!

bigez
07-26-2010, 12:55
Virus Protection programs suck. And it's hard for them to keep up with other mal-ware/spyware too.

I switched to Faronics "Deep Freeze" and have NEVER looked back.

Blitzer
07-26-2010, 14:43
Like asking who makes the best sidearm. :whistling:

Pierre!
07-26-2010, 17:36
Well, if it's the OS we want to include...

Windows 7 with UAC on HIGH, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

I have been hit (on purpose) at least 10 times now, and unless I answer the question wrong, nothing installs. This includes some really nice "drive by" viruses...

Linux is a good sandbox on Win7. Liking openSUSE these days (KDE man, Gnome rubs me the wrong way) and it's been good, although it will go "unresponsive" with Firefox from time to time forcing a kill job.

I just think Windows 7 and the UAC turned up is Da Bomb so far!

HTH...

katana_user
07-26-2010, 17:39
I'd like you to hit this site with your wife's pc. Lets see if ESET can cure what's wrong.

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

With all respect, it's NOT like what gun is best. ESET is better. try it and see. McAfee... crap. Norton... better but still not perfect.

With ESET I have yet to get a virus on 3 PC's. :shocked: That's in a 3 year period.

IndyGunFreak
07-26-2010, 17:55
Virus Protection programs suck. And it's hard for them to keep up with other mal-ware/spyware too.

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t307362-faronics-deep-freeze-losing-the-security-war.html

ChrisJn
07-26-2010, 18:49
I'd like you to hit this site with your wife's pc. Lets see if ESET can cure what's wrong.

http://www.eset.com/online-scanner

With all respect, it's NOT like what gun is best. ESET is better. try it and see. McAfee... crap. Norton... better but still not perfect.

With ESET I have yet to get a virus on 3 PC's. :shocked: That's in a 3 year period.

Thanks. I have bookmarked it for future use.

DonGlock26
07-27-2010, 07:47
I use trend micro. It works fine.

area727
07-29-2010, 18:16
My primary machine at home is Linux, but on the wife's laptop and 1 other Win machine, I use Symantec Endpoint Protection (their business stuff). Because of what I do for work, I am able to run it at home. But I will say, I have tried Norton Internet Security 2010, and it is actually pretty good. Symantec has, on both business, and consumer (norton) products, really improved on the footprint, and it doesn't slow the machine down nearly as much as it used to...and the machines have remained virus/spyware free.

pete29
08-03-2010, 12:02
I appreciate this subject has been discussed many times but I have taken all I can with my wife's PC. Three different viruses in as many months with Mcafee installed! I just don't think it(Mcafee) is "fit for purpose".
I have done a "clean install" and if I get just one more it's going in the garbage and I'll replace it with a MAC.
Any expert like to suggest an alternative PC virus protection?
Thanks in advance.

http://www.apple.com/Mac
:wavey:

rhikdavis
08-12-2010, 15:44
I use trend micro. It works fine.

Just don't try to uninstall it.

bradleybear
08-13-2010, 21:45
If you use Windows, I would suggest that you stay away from IE and Firefox as browsers. Use Chromium or Google Chrome. The architecture they use takes significant steps to isolate what the browser is doing from the OS.

Keep adobe reader and flash upgraded. Most security flaws this year have been on Firefox and adobe.

AVG is pretty go AV and free.

HTH

stolivar
08-14-2010, 09:43

Faronics Deep Freeze has all but bitten the dust at this point. They
have been struggling to secure their program against a program called
Unfreezer by Emiliano Torres (a black hat programmer in Santa Rosario,
Argentina). In the last three versions of Deep Freeze, they have
completely failed to stop Unfreezer from being able to thaw systems
without the password. Each time they say they are "looking into it" and
"analyzing the situation", blah, blah, blah. But each time they come
out with a new version, Emiliano easily defeats it by updating
Unfreezer almost immediately. They are also trying to keep the
vulnerability a secret, saying nothing about it on their web site. They
released a patch in a lame attempt to stop Unfreezer, but did not tell
their customers it was available. Only those who requested help because
their systems were being hacked were given the patch. Otherwise no one
was told about it. In Deep Freeze Enterprise v5.70.220.1347, their
latest version, intended to put a permanent end to Unfreezer, it only
took Emiliano one week to update Unfreezer to kill even that version.
You could say Emiliano put an end to Deep Freeze!

steve

Hef
08-14-2010, 14:43
I've had great success with Avast (free version). The boot-time scan feature is what I feel really makes it a great AV program.

ChrisJn
08-15-2010, 07:42
Thanks for all the suggestions. Wife's machine now up and running again after clean install.
Have gone with AVG..... time will tell.

aircarver
08-15-2010, 08:11
I've had great success with Avast (free version). The boot-time scan feature is what I feel really makes it a great AV program.I agree.
For the Windoze machines I have to run Avast has never been breeched.
For the rest, they are Macs or Linux.

ZTucker
08-24-2010, 22:17
I would definitely go with AVG. They have a free version that is awesome. It is lightweight and powerful. I have been using it for 5 years. Unlike all the other major brand, this one will not impact performance on your computer... and it's free!

http://free.avg.com